sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Tue Sep 4 6:32 pm  #1

Should we open up ownership of Canada Media.

An interesting topic came up on CFRB radio this afternoon. The USA wants Canada to open up media ownership as part if NAFTA talks.
A very long time ago Roger's Cable was all over the USA, and not so long ago Canwest ( Global )was looking to see if it could buy CBS.
So if media ownership is opened up equally in all 3 countries , and if the Canadian content rules remain in place no matter who owns them, does it really matter.
We already have a large amount of American content on Canadian TV, and already have rules in place so that Canadian ownership can maximize profits of that American content.

I'm really not sure what the difference would be. The only big question that may come up from time to time is who is in charge north of the boarder. The FCC or the CRTC. Policy and rules could be put in place to make sure the CRTC remains in control north of the border.
At one time the City tv brand was sold in other parts of the world and and Canwest did own tv stations in a few countries so to think that the Canadian companies would be wiped out by Americas might not completely happen, it just might go the other way.

Tue Sep 4 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Should we open up ownership of Canada Media.

I think radio is the last bastion of local media, media would become too homogeneous for my liking...I believe that our Canadian identity is different from our friends to the south...and personally I don't want to tamper with that.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

Tue Sep 4 8:18 pm  #3

Build a wall.    The Americans will pay for it.     

Tue Sep 4 8:22 pm  #4

Never mind TV and radio - it's cell phone companies we have to bring north, if only to force the Rogers and Bells of the world to stop charging us some of the highest rates in the world. 

But as for TV, I've long subscribed to an open skies policy, way back to my C-Band satellite days in the 80s.

Let Dish Network and DirectTV sell to Canadians and let Bell try to peddle its sat services down south. This was, of course, a lot easier in the days before licensing deals brought what I will always call "HBO Lite" to Canada. I'd vastly prefer the real thing and I'd be willing to pay for it, but of course it's not available here. Neither is Showtime or Starz.

And so many other U.S. cable shows have been currently snatched up by locals here (mostly Crave TV) that the genie may be out of that bottle for good, with rights issues making it impossible to sort it all out.  

I fully understand the risks to the Canadian industry that might come with "open skies", but there could well be ample rewards for them, too, with a giant American market suddenly in their sites. 

True competition is what works for consumers. With more choices come lower prices. And with lower prices come less cord cutting. 

But I'm pretty sure it's way too late for all of that, even if the government would ever be crazy enough to agree to it. 

Tue Sep 4 10:55 pm  #5

I think the Internet is where the future will be.  Forget open skies, give U.S. companies the ability to compete with Canadian companies to provide Video over the net.  Canada needs an open IPTV policy to be competitive.  Since we're not dealing with airwaves anymore, (which is a finite resource) why not have IPTV wide open to all comers?

There will need to be some discussion regarding rights issues but that can happen in due course.

Wed Sep 5 10:32 am  #6

CBS recently bought the ailing Network Ten in Australia, which some of you may recall was once owned by Canwest.

Ask me 5 or 10 years ago if I would be open to foreign companies owning our media companies, and I would have been against it. But now I think we should be open to the idea, as long as the CRTC did enforce the Canadian/local programming quotas on this side of the border.

Wed Sep 5 10:56 am  #7

Will someone buy CKNT? 

Wed Sep 5 10:58 am  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

Will someone buy CKNT? 

Nope. CKNT is priceless.

Wed Sep 5 11:39 am  #9

Here's a thought:
If CBS could buy Global, does that automatically make Global the new home of ALL CBS programming? Or will Rogers and Bell still be free to bid on the rights to various TOP CBS programming?
(ie any of the highest rated shows) 
Global already has Big Brother, but what about other CBS shows? 
Does Channel 11 lose the rights to 60 minutes? 
What's the deal?

Last edited by Radiowiz (Wed Sep 5 11:42 am)

Wed Sep 5 11:46 am  #10

Don't forget the CW, which doesn't have any real penetration here on basic cable, like an NBC or a CBS. CBS owns that, too, so that would be in play, also. A lot of those younger skewing CW shows have been bought by various cable outlets here, so they'd have to wait for the rights to expire before anything could happen.  

RadioActive wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Will someone buy CKNT? 

Nope. CKNT is priceless.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that if they decided to sell Sauga 960, CKNT would be priced less.

After all, it'll never be worth as much as Frank D'Angelo!

Wed Sep 5 11:46 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Will someone buy CKNT? 

Nope. CKNT is priceless.

Looking forward to the traffic reports from the CKNT "chopper'.

Wed Sep 5 11:47 am  #12

Wed Sep 5 1:51 pm  #13

I have long believed foreign ownership of radio and television stations should be allowed.  The high concentration of media assets with Bell and Rogers is unhealthy and ultimately bad for consumers, viewers and listeners.

Wed Sep 5 4:48 pm  #14

Media Observer wrote:

Looking forward to the traffic reports from the CKNT "chopper'.

Do you mean this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/PeterFondaCaptainAmerica-side.jpg/300px-PeterFondaCaptainAmerica-side.jpg

Or this:
https://www.pamperedchef.com/iceberg/com/product/2585-4-lg.jpg

Or Even This:
https://alchetron.com/cdn/yakky-doodle-aa88ac44-61c0-4619-9490-d3e179e8c50-resize-750.jpeg

Wed Sep 5 5:01 pm  #15

If a NYC fund decided to acquire a block of Corus Entertainment shares at today's close of $3.69, how would John Oakley, Lou Schizas, Conrad Black, Rabinovitch the traffic guy, Buzz Hargrove and Ernie Eves be protected from the likes of Ellen DeGeneres and Dr. Phil?  

Last edited by geo (Wed Sep 5 5:33 pm)

Wed Sep 5 5:50 pm  #16

Ownership laws were put in place to prevent big foreign companies from simply outspending our local broadcasters into death, thus resulting in little Canadian content. Millions of Canadians subscribe to Netflix, a U.S.-based media company with enormous global resources and under essentially no Canadian regulation beyond a vague production agreement. $100 million/year vastly underestimates the damage Netflix is doing to Canadian broadcasters and given some of the reports suggest immense flexibility on how those dollars can be spent (ie, Netflix can hire American writers, directors, actors, etc. for a show set in the U.S. but simply shoot the show in Canada and have it count), it's almost comical. 

And that's just Netflix. There are plenty of other SVOD and AVOD companies that offer service in Canada with no expectation of investing money here. The internet has undermined so much regulation and there's little anyone can do about it. The CRTC's about 15-20 years too late to attempt a walled garden similar to television and radio. It would be impossible to enforce CPE or quotas on all services available. Even focusing on just the big players would draw significant ire from the general public.

So we're left with this weird limbo here old media is burdened by regulation that has no chance at being levied against new business models. Because it's Bell, Corus and Rogers, I should say it's just desserts. After all, they're lazy companies who got fat importing foreign content with little regard to their own as they only viewed broadcasting as a way to grow their associated Pay TV businesses. I can't gloat because I'm doubtful our foreign media owners would really be any better. I think about how local television has been steamrolled over the last decade. Netflix, Amazon, etc. would have no interest in a daily Canadian sports round table discussion, for example. Thinking about this gives me the same unsettling feeling I get while watching an ESPN show on TSN in the middle of November and "NHL" is never uttered once.

RadioActive wrote:

Don't forget the CW, which doesn't have any real penetration here on basic cable, like an NBC or a CBS. CBS owns that, too, so that would be in play, also. A lot of those younger skewing CW shows have been bought by various cable outlets here, so they'd have to wait for the rights to expire before anything could happen.

The majority of newer CW shows have been sniped by Netflix on a global basis. 

Wed Sep 5 8:04 pm  #17

@ Peter the K....LOL.  Good ones.

Wed Sep 5 8:47 pm  #18

I'm of two minds on this and never, as they say, the twain shall meet.

As a longtime employee in this industry (in my case, radio and TV news) I understand the need for leaving things in Canadian hands and keeping jobs in this country. We've already seen from a previous thread how Global is consolidating all their newscasts across Canada into one single production centre based in Toronto. Imagine if that same logic was applied to say, producing your local T.O. 6 PM news out of New York every night.     

But on the other hand, as a viewer who almost never watches Canadian shows (with the exception of news) it's always driven me crazy how Canadian TV stations operate, often cutting out scenes for additional commercials, deleting previews from next week's shows, inserting commercial banners during a show (!) and just generally adding unnecessary clutter. 

And with simsub seemingly forever in place on broadcast and cable TV here, if they're going to parrot U.S. TV networks anyway (same shows on the same night at the same time), we might as well have the real thing. 

For now, I suppose, I have the best of both worlds - an outdoor TV antenna that brings me American stations and allows me to bypass the Canadian signals, which are also there if I decide to watch them, with no worries about simsub. 

But I have to admit I'd be conflicted about this if it ever came to pass. Not that it matters in the end. Because I can't see a government of any stripe ever changing it to allow the Yanks to own stations here. NAFTA or not.

Thu Sep 6 10:51 am  #19

RadioActive wrote:

I'm of two minds on this and never, as they say, the twain shall meet.
But on the other hand, as a viewer who almost never watches Canadian shows (with the exception of news) it's always driven me crazy how Canadian TV stations operate, often cutting out scenes for additional commercials, deleting previews from next week's shows, inserting commercial banners during a show (!) and just generally adding unnecessary clutter. 

And with simsub seemingly forever in place on broadcast and cable TV here, if they're going to parrot U.S. TV networks anyway (same shows on the same night at the same time), we might as well have the real thing. 

For now, I suppose, I have the best of both worlds - an outdoor TV antenna that brings me American stations and allows me to bypass the Canadian signals, which are also there if I decide to watch them, with no worries about simsub..

Over the past number of years I've become more troubled by concentration of ownership in media and telecom in Canada. The grown-up in me responds with "better the devil you know". The more youthful, spontaneous and rebellious part of me wishes we could be well on the path of deregulation. Could foreign minority ownership be part of that? Perhaps... but it may not be necessary.

If radio programming regulations were cut, the cost and revenue picture could sufficiently change such that a number of smaller companies could afford to get into the radio business. That in of itself may negate the need for foreign ownership. While I admit to being a bit out of touch, I'd love to see CANCON gone. I ask this out of ignorance but did CANCON have any role in the international success of Drake or The Weeknd? Other current Canadian acts loved abroad?

In my judgement, the CRTC has rendered radio decisions affecting this region that are not in the public interest and instead (again, in my judgement) seem to protect the two-three broadcasting giants in this country.

I'm a pragmatist and realize that shareholder value trumps listener/viewer satisfaction. Yet with a deregulated broadcast environment, smaller companies could emerge where the interests of shareholders and listeners/viewers are more closely aligned. Call me foolish... Niave...

Last edited by Tim Brown 2016 (Thu Sep 6 11:05 am)

Wed Sep 12 7:02 am  #20

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

While I admit to being a bit out of touch, I'd love to see CANCON gone. I ask this out of ignorance but did CANCON have any role in the international success of Drake or The Weeknd? Other current Canadian acts loved abroad?

I'd argue that CanCon isn't there in order to create international stars -- it's there to support, foster and grow our own stars here at home, and to ensure Canadian culture isn't completely overshadowed with or flooded by American products.