sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sun Sep 24 10:01 am  #31

Re: FM 108 revived

ig wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

The streaming service my company offers isn't priced around number of viewers or listeners "tuned in". We can stream to hundreds of thousands of devices around the world without added cost.

I'm intrigued, how do you do that?  Admittedly you can pretty much promise the vast majority of online stations 50,000 streams, since they'll never exceed 30, but I 'd love to know how you can support that claim without reverting to fromage like peer casting.

To answer the question thoroughly, I'd have to get into proprietary information.

In a nutshell, however, we are part of a global user group that delivers audio and video over the same Content Delivery Network (CDN). Generally speaking, this network is dimensioned to accommodate a high percentage above estimated peak loading. Because of the dynamic nature of loading (throughout the world at any given time of day), the network has been engineered with a high degree of elasticity. From the LifeLens homepage:

"We’ve developed a comprehensive media environment based on a strategic combination of rigorously vetted technologies. Our capabilities scale well while consistently delivering best-in-class performance. You benefit directly from the inherent flexibility, adaptability and cost efficiency built into our systems. It also enables us to continually innovate on your behalf."

Just to be clear, we are not referring to peercasting here - although the LifeLens technology does support the WebRTC protocol for applications requiring it.