sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2016 2:01 pm  #1

Summer Ratings breakdown for the five PPM markets from kowchmedia

Here is the kowchmedia Summer 2016 PPM ratings for Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Just click on the market you're interested in. Or click here to go direct to the Toronto numbers.

I know David Bray has already posted his Summer PPM Ratings report earlier. I include his commentary and Bell Media numbers that include A12+, A25-54 and A35-54.

September 9, 2016 8:22 pm  #2

Re: Summer Ratings breakdown for the five PPM markets from kowchmedia

For the record, it has never been called "BOOM-FM".

September 10, 2016 1:43 pm  #3

Re: Summer Ratings breakdown for the five PPM markets from kowchmedia

Boom Boy is right. It is CHBM-FM but it is known as BOOM 97.3.

I made the correction in David Bray's Bragging Rights at http://kowchmedia.com/by-the-numbers-toronto-summer-2016-ppm-ratings/ 

Another thing I noticed is that when you look at Numeris PPM Top-Line Radio Statistics, David's numbers and Bell Media's numbers there are slight differences in the actual rating numbers. I can't explain the Numeris difference but I have now included the following note on the PPM rating pages at the kowchmedia website:

"*Editor’s Note: There is up to a two share point difference between David Bray’s numbers and the Bell Media Numbers. The reason is that Bell only includes commercial radio stations in its ratings report. It doesn’t include CBC numbers because there is no advertising on Radio One. As a result the averages are different because there are two less radio stations in the mix when calculating percentages. This explains why in David’s Bragging Rights you may see a difference above compared to the rating charts below."

I'm only the messenger here ... I use Bell Media numbers because they provide me more demos to share with all of you. I like David's thoughtful analysis and his CBC numbers which is why I include his material in my rating reviews with total attribution and permission.

Bell uses the same formula as Astral did (same research people) so I'm not only familiar with their work but also my rating bonuses at CFRB in Toronto and CJAD in Montreal depended on their rating analysis. Our contracts (management and talent) always had a clause that explained that bonuses were based on the ratings of commercial radio stations and did not include CBC numbers. Why? Because at the end of the day, ratings are for sales and clients are charged based on the ratings of commercial radio stations. So CBC numbers don't really count for sales. I think a smart PD takes a look at the overall numbers but are very happy CBC is not included so they can get a ratings cheque.