sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2016 11:34 am  #1

CKSL London

Another AM station to bite the dust.  The CRTC today revoked Bell's licence for CKSL London.   Bell requested that the licence be revoked earlier this month.   I believe it may have been operating with the 24/7 comedy format, that is being  discontinued by the (US?)  production company.  There haven't been many radio licenses surrendered voluntarily in the past few years.   But certainly transmitter site costs, escalating Ontario electricity costs, may impact a number of the remaining marginal AM stations.

July 29, 2016 11:38 am  #2

Re: CKSL London

For those who may be interested...the submission by Bell on July 11th to the CRTC.

Bell Media is the licensee of CKSL-AM 1410, assuming stewardship of the station in 2013 as part of the Astral Media acquisition. 

A technical review of the transmitter site was recently completed both by Bell Media and contractors, which has resulted in the determination that the AM array poses an unacceptable risk from a health and safety perspective.  The five towers are experiencing serious structural degradation and also require repairs to the aviation safety lighting system. In addition, the building which houses the transmitter has shifted off its foundation (as have several of the individual tower sheds).

Given these problems, Bell Media would need to make a significant financial investment to bring CKSL-AM’s transmitter up to compliance with Human Resources Development Canada, Industry Canada and NavCanada operational codes and standards, all of which is estimated to exceed $3 million dollars.

From a market perspective, CKSL-AM has consistently ranked last out of all ten commercial stations in the London market, both in audience share and revenue generation, over the last several years.  In fact, since 2013 the London market has seen radio revenues drop 4% and CKSL-AM generates the least amount of revenue of the stations in the market. Even with a significant investment in programming, this trend is unlikely to be reversed. 

In light of the significant capital costs coupled with the absence of revenue and audience share, Bell Media is respectfully requesting the revocation of the CKSL licence.

July 29, 2016 11:45 am  #3

Another one of my many  "old stompin' grounds"...

Once upon a time a genuine force in the market...

They're still on the air but these days nothing more than a fart in a wind storm and now soon to be gone ??

Last edited by unclefester (July 29, 2016 11:53 am)

July 29, 2016 12:06 pm  #4

Station has been in decline for a long time. Many years ago, they did a compelling talk / news format and at one time may have been the top station in London. They did an adult music format for a time.

CKSL and CJBK were fierce competitors in the 70's with a top 40 format and great contests. CKSL had a larger signal coverage area.

If I recall correctly, in the early 2000's CKSL tried to migrate to FM at the 102.3 position but Rogers was awarded the frequency.

Once they switched to comedy, I figured it was only a matter of time before they shut down. I wonder if any of these comedy format stations make enough money to pay the transmitter electric bill.

Perhaps a classic country format and live personalities may have saved them. But given the cost of refurbishing the transmitter plant it was too great a risk?

I do not know whether the land at transmitter site was owned or leased. It's located adjacent to a dump or landfill as they are called today.

Still sad to see another one go dark. Has the switch been pulled yet?

July 29, 2016 12:14 pm  #5

What, if anything, does this portend for CHAM?

July 29, 2016 11:26 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

It's most likely generating better revenue than TSN 1150 (outside of their Ti cat games)
It will most likely be a second home in situations where two sports are running at the same time with Bell holding the rights to air.
Hopefully the 820 Cham tower isn't as costly to maintain as CKSL's tower...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 30, 2016 8:36 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Well the facility is definitely newer. I have said it before and I will say it again. Bell should move TSN 1050 to 820.

July 30, 2016 8:37 am  #8

The audio stream is still going. Can anyone tell if 1410 is still on the air?

July 30, 2016 10:59 am  #9

July 30, 2016 12:16 pm  #10

andysradio wrote:

The audio stream is still going. Can anyone tell if 1410 is still on the air?

I've just tuned in on my old ghetto blaster...it's still on the air...

July 30, 2016 12:56 pm  #11

I heard they are going to shut down mid august sometime

July 30, 2016 7:01 pm  #12

andysradio wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Well the facility is definitely newer. I have said it before and I will say it again. Bell should move TSN 1050 to 820.

1050 is a Toronto licence and 820 is Hamilton... Its doubtful to happen unless the rules change.

Last edited by radiokid (July 30, 2016 7:01 pm)

July 30, 2016 8:09 pm  #13

Just thinking about my time at CKSL...

In no particular order while I was working there they used to bring in Roger Klein...a.k.a. Don Valli to do promo and commercial work...I was in the news booth and I could see him doing his thing in the production booth next door. Boy was this 18 year old impressed to see and hear this smoooooth sounding guy who worked at CFTR TORONTO !!!!

For some of my time there I worked with Kim Hesketh, son of the late Bob Hesketh...

And I'll never forget one of the station's promo slogans...it went like this....

When talking about the city...London was a "C.K.S.L. of a town...." Corny as can be...

Last edited by unclefester (July 30, 2016 10:36 pm)

July 30, 2016 8:24 pm  #14

radiokid wrote:

1050 is a Toronto licence and 820 is Hamilton... Its doubtful to happen unless the rules change.

Remember, 1580 was Chicoutimi now Oshawa, 1280 Hamilton now Toronto and 960 Cambridge is going [someday] to Mississauga

July 30, 2016 8:51 pm  #15

andysradio wrote:

radiokid wrote:

Remember, 1580 was Chicoutimi now Oshawa, 1280 Hamilton now Toronto and 960 Cambridge is going [someday] to Mississauga

1280 is also in different hands (again!)
960 was shut down with the licence surrendered before it could move to Mississauga.
1050 and 820 are fixed to be two different market licences.
It will still require giving up a licence first before it can be moved to another market, plus there's the two AM and Two fm rule to think about.

July 31, 2016 3:08 pm  #16

Shame to see any station go off the air, even one as turn key an operation as CKSL. I wonder i anyone else in London will try for the open frequency? 

Meanwhile, CKSL leaves quite a legacy behind. According to the Canadian Communications Foundation website, a lot of great talent worked there over the years, including:

Bob MacAdorey
Bill Brady
Peter Garland
Peter Thompson (aka Red Knight)
Bill Hayes
J. Michael Phillips
Larry Silver
Jeff O’Neill
Chris Mayberry
Kevin Nelson
Dick Joseph 

Just to name a few.  Not a bad roster for a smaller market station.

July 31, 2016 4:57 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Shame to see any station go off the air, even one as turn key an operation as CKSL. I wonder i anyone else in London will try for the open frequency? 

Meanwhile, CKSL leaves quite a legacy behind. According to the Canadian Communications Foundation website, a lot of great talent worked there over the years, including:

Bob MacAdorey
Bill Brady
Peter Garland
Bill Hayes
J. Michael Phillips
Larry Silver
Jeff O’Neill
Chris Mayberry
Kevin Nelson
Dick Joseph 

Also Al Boliska, Bobby Steele and Dick Williams.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 31, 2016 5:08 pm  #18

before al boliska there was nothing

July 31, 2016 5:46 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Not bad...   

Hey....don't see MY name on that list...lol...

I met Peter the day he arrived at CKSL...circa 1974...
I think that Bruce Devine who was the production guy had a hand in bringing him in...
Peter and Bruce both had that Belleville connection...
Quiet, friendly unassuming guy...with a YUGE set of pipes...
And it wouldn't be the last time that I would work with him...

Last edited by unclefester (July 31, 2016 5:47 pm)

August 1, 2016 12:08 am  #20

RadioActive wrote:

Bob MacAdorey
Bill Brady
Peter Garland
Bill Hayes
J. Michael Phillips
Larry Silver
Jeff O’Neill
Chris Mayberry
Kevin Nelson
Dick Joseph 

History is history, but it's also looking back to a time when AM radio was better protected. 
FM was required to play 49% non hits, making it easier to force listeners to stick with AM in those days.
(depending on the music they were actually into, but still...)

August 1, 2016 10:45 pm  #21

Not just a superb roster I was fortunate to rub shoulders with, but by God, we had fun.
Uninhibited, gobs of fun...

August 11, 2016 8:58 am  #22

It's official...

Midnight August 14th...

R.I.P.

August 13, 2016 8:55 pm  #23

I wonder how quickly the towers will be taken down - not long I expect.
Anyone what model and age of the transmitter?

August 13, 2016 9:58 pm  #24

unclefester wrote:

It's official...

Midnight August 14th...

R.I.P.

In typical Bell fashion I'm sure it'll shut off mid-sentence in the middle of a bit without warning.

Last edited by Prod Guy (August 13, 2016 9:59 pm)

August 13, 2016 10:36 pm  #25

I didn't see this until just now, but apparently there actually was a mini-farewell to CKSL. It aired last Thursday and Friday. But in typical Bell bass-ackward fashion, it was done on CJBK!

Bell Media announces farewell to CKSL

Here's a link to a report done on CTV London's newscast

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=930037

August 13, 2016 11:03 pm  #26

Prod Guy wrote:

unclefester wrote:

It's official...

Midnight August 14th...

R.I.P.

In typical Bell fashion I'm sure it'll shut off mid-sentence in the middle of a bit without warning.

...but we're not bitter...

August 14, 2016 12:05 am  #27

The Funny 1410 site contains this interesting tidbit of information:

After nearly 60 years of providing music, news, sports, and entertainment to listeners across the London and surrounding region, Funny 1410 will cease broadcasting this Sunday, Aug. 14 at 12 midnight. Our enormous library of comedy will not to go to waste. 

NewsTalk 1290 CJBK is planning to bring laughter to the London airwaves again soon. Stay tuned for more information about when some of the great  Funny content will be part of the NewsTalk 1290 lineup.

August 14, 2016 1:22 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

The Funny 1410 site contains this interesting tidbit of information:

After nearly 60 years of providing music, news, sports, and entertainment to listeners across the London and surrounding region, Funny 1410 will cease broadcasting this Sunday, Aug. 14 at 12 midnight. Our enormous library of comedy will not to go to waste. 

NewsTalk 1290 CJBK is planning to bring laughter to the London airwaves again soon. Stay tuned for more information about when some of the great  Funny content will be part of the NewsTalk 1290 lineup.

The question is why ??

Are they possibly under some contractual obligation for a while yet and paying for it anyway ??

Or is it the cheapest of the cheap programming so they can save an extra 5 cents ?? 

Or perhaps both ??

August 14, 2016 5:35 pm  #29

I have to admit I wondered the same thing. Not sure what the numbers are like in London, but it's my understanding that CHAM's version of Funny gets about 20,000 listeners a week. More people go to a Blue Jays game on a daily basis. I'm guessing the ratings for CKSL are equally questionable. So why would you transfer that in any way to CJBK? It's either contractual obligations or perhaps since they have the rights anyway, it might be cheaper than buying programming for dead time. Or maybe it's simply better than rerolls. 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 14, 2016 5:35 pm)

August 15, 2016 12:24 am  #30

Well, that was uneventful.

I was listening to the stream and at 5 minutes after midnight, ironically after a George Carlin bit about things people say when someone does, they did a legal station ID and that was it.  No fanfare and no announcement they were leaving the air.  They didn't even run the Mike Neighbours spot plugging funny820.

They could have recorded something special for the occasion, but then again, who the hell would be listening other than a handful of radio geeks anyway?