sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2016 8:11 pm  #1

Strombo Out, MacLean Back In At Hockey Night In Canada

I'm not sure this will come as a big surprise to anyone, even non-sports fans like me. But I do follow broadcasting and the public reaction to George Strombolopoulos's ascension to the HNIC throne was never anything to write home about. Now, according to the Star, he's out and an old face is back in. Another lesson learned for the gang at Rogers. I sometimes wonder if they still think their $5.2 billion 12-year NHL deal was worth it.

Ron MacLean to replace Strombo on Hockey Night in Canada

June 19, 2016 9:03 pm  #2

Re: Strombo Out, MacLean Back In At Hockey Night In Canada

No surprise.  That wasn't going to work...ever.  Dumb suits too.  It was the modern day version of the Dennis Miller doing M.N.F. mistake in judgement.

But Ron?  I'm equally tired of that act as well.  That was past done THEN.  And this is NOW.

Give dummies 5.232 'bil'...and just watch it turn into next to nothing.  And in NO time flat. 

Own shares?  Sell.
-----------------------------------------------
Keith!!!   Keith!!!  Come BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!   KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Oh/oh.]

Last edited by Old Codger (June 19, 2016 9:09 pm)

June 19, 2016 9:43 pm  #3

Judging by the poll in that article the people want Ron.

Not surprising. HNIC is a cultural thing and cultural things tend to be unchanged and traditional. Ron is both.

Now... whether the ratings will move is another question.

June 20, 2016 11:37 am  #4

Seems to me that exchanging George for Ron will have little or NO impact in terms of the ratings if Canada doesn't provide even 1 team capable of making the playoffs.  6 or 7 would be best.  [8 if and when the man who ruined hockey/Gary Bettman allows Quebec back 'in'.]

For a country which prides itself on its hockey know-how and acumen we sure do suck at it these days.  Who wants to watch THAT?  It's as if Harold Ballard was, less than magically, still in control of ALL things hockey in Canada.

June 20, 2016 9:22 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I gave up when the Habs were sucking.

​the NHL lost its lustre when Walt Poddubny retired

June 20, 2016 9:45 pm  #6

Coincidentally on radio it was also Rogers who canned Erin Davis to bring in Mad Dog & Billie to CHFI which had many scratching their heads. Two years after that they launched a public mea culpa and welcomed her back into the fold where she's been ever since and brought back the numbers. They're hoping this action will bring about the same result. Time will tell.

June 21, 2016 6:32 pm  #7

Well, it could have been worse. They could have canned Strombo for Ghomeshi.

June 21, 2016 8:42 pm  #8

Hansa wrote:

Well, it could have been worse. They could have canned Strombo for Ghomeshi.

Speaking of which - sort of...

Evan Solomon returning to TV

June 21, 2016 9:26 pm  #9

A thought about the one quote in there: “People do have a short attention span, especially in broadcasting. This is a chance for him to be renewed."
This really is different in that the Ghomeshi case was so high profile. This one got a mention when it first broke but then faded away and I suspect many people don't remember what he was in hot water for. Even if they do, it just doesn't strike the same chord as a sexual abuse scandal. Those are hard to touch. Most viewers will handle Solomon without a bad taste in their mouths. To repeat the cliché I uttered previously, time will tell.

June 21, 2016 10:54 pm  #10

Poor old George may have worn some 'dickish' suits...and he may be the innocent scapegoat for 'iffy' ratings...which are NOT his fault or of his doing...but he sure as shyte doesn't belong in a thread where that David Bowie 'wannabe'/perve-meister Ghomeshi somehow enters into the 'conversation'.  Same for Evan.

No one does.

What H.R. department would ever consider allowing his sorry ass through any door other than the exit?

Ghomeshi is persona non grata.  That won't change.  He was also seriously OVER-RATED in terms of his abilities.  No one's gonna throw this 'non swimmer' a 'lifesaver'.  Yick!!!  "Spiders in the woodpile!!!"