sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2016 10:07 am  #1

CRTC Takes Up Future Of Local TV - & Whether There Will Be One

The CRTC is going to take up the issue of the future viability of local TV, as the group Friends of Canadian Broadcasting puts out a follow-up dire warning predicting nearly half of all locals will be forced off the air in the next fours years.

That seems a bit over the top, but there’s no doubt the job losses will continue and it should be interesting to see whether the Commission does anything about it. You can be sure any additional programming fees put onto subscribers will not be very well received, especially since a lot of these locals are owned by Bell & Rogers. But it’s clear something has to be done.

I have problems with Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, which began life a number of years ago as a blatantly naked shill for everything CBC.

CRTC warned half of local TV stations could be forced off air by 2020

But the drama doesn’t end there. CHCH owners Channel Zero will also be going before the Commission, who won’t be happy with the sudden changes at Hamilton’s once golden independent station. Since they no longer have much original programming perhaps they’d consider televising that hearing. I’d tune in for that!

CHCH-TV owner to address CRTC

January 24, 2016 3:42 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Takes Up Future Of Local TV - & Whether There Will Be One

Will there be a need for local broadcast TV in 2020?

As we move closer to an "on demand" model for program delivery, the whole way we "watch TV" has changed.  Sports is about the only thing left that still needs to be "live" and it's no secret that's where Bell and Rogers are putting the lion's share of their resources.

The sad reality is that jobs will be lost and some broadcasters will go dark as these changes happen.  I don't buy into it for a moment that the likes of Bell and Rogers have any interest in keeping them afloat if it's going to actually to cost money.  Then again, why bother?  Might as well get back into Blacksmithing and Buggy-Whip manufacturing while we're at it.

January 25, 2016 2:12 am  #3

Peter the K wrote:

Will there be a need for local broadcast TV in 2020?

Yup. Some people just want to relax in front of a Television after a day's hard work and not have to think much about what's there to tune into. 
Try doing some Data Entry from 9-5 ( with respectable breaks) or any work in front of a computer screen for a long period of time.
Then go home...you can't possibly tell me that you are in a mood to search through an over crowded screen filled with an insane amount of things trying to get your attention!

It's a lot better to just turn on the TV and relax. Let it tell you what you will watch.
(News might be a good example.) 
The digital box guide offers a quick glance (provided that you are sticking with the basics, and not a search through a 500 channel universe)
With the quick glance it's easy do decide there's either nothing on or something on.

Now, I understand that not everyone has a job that is placed in front of a computer, but even after heavy lifting
(ie a mover or construction worker maybe?) or some other sort of hard work, all I'd want to do is just collapse in front of the TV and turn it on! (digital box already set to the channel I'd normally come home to, perhaps)

I'm not saying that Peter the K is wrong, but I am heavily suggesting that not everyone wants to fiddle.
Whatever the future has coming outside of sports, it just might have to include "regular routine" content, whether it be news @ 6 or any other daily program...It'll be right there automatically, without much thought or channel surfing,
sort of like what TV does for us today... 

***added note: the cord cutters might still watch TV with the antenna that be, hopefully one strong enough to just sit there and give signal without having to be touched or adjusted. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 25, 2016 2:29 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 25, 2016 12:00 pm  #4

The issue in Canada is the local stations are owned by the people also providing cable TV/Dish services.   They don't make money from OTA because people don't have to pay for it.   It's that simple.   Local network affiliates in the US are owned by local owners/ TV/Radio station ONLY owners which makes more of an invested interest in keeping the OTA transmitters.

Changes in Canada that need to happen in my view is licensing requirements that have to be paid by Cable/dish providers to the local stations for the use of their signals as they do in the USA.  I think it's fair, and should provide local stations some means of income from people making profits from their signals.

At 25 dollars a month, the cable company is walking away with loads of cash and using each local station's signal free to get it.

I think the time has come to pay the local stations for use of their signals.

January 25, 2016 4:48 pm  #5

Retransmission fees, while perhaps a fair way of compensating station group owners for their programming, can be a slippery slope. CBS, in particular, as the number one network in the U.S., has been especially good (if that’s the word) at playing this game. Most often with Dish Network, whose CEO Charlie Ergen is one of the world’s greatest cheapskates.

Dish customers have too often woken up to find their CBS feeds gone, replaced by a screen saying "we’re negotiating with this provider and hoping to have the signal back soon.”  And when does it happen? Always right before some huge ticket item like the Super Bowl.

What occurs next is completely predictable. Subscribers go insane, sure they won’t be able to see the year’s biggest TV event, threatening to cancel their service and switch to Direct TV or a local cable company competitor. Watching the bleeding, Ergen makes a last minute settlement and everything is restored before game time. But many are fed up and have already left.

And the rates go up to pay for it, with CBS making fistfuls of money and the remaining customers getting thoroughly hosed. And that’s in a scenario where cable companies and TV station owners are totally separate.

You can imagine the uproar here if Bell tried to pull the football game off Rogers, because they weren’t getting enough for CFTO. The CRTC would be besieged with complaints and because the government is tightly entrenched in regulating the media here, whoever was in power wouldn’t let it last long.

I’m not sure how the Commission will resolve the local TV funding issue it’s taking up this week. But rest assured there will only be a few winners. And those who pay for their TV - i.e. - most on this board - most definitely won’t be among them.