sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 10:11 pm  #1

Ex-CTV Reporter Ashley Rowe To Get Huge Exposure As Buffalo Anchor

Former CTV Toronto reporter Ashley Rowe will apparently get key anchor positions on the 5, 6 & 11 PM news on Buffalo's Channel 7 when she officially takes the air chair there on Jan. 18th. They must think highly of her potential if they're allowing a newcomer to the market to appear on all three of their majors. WKBW's been dead last in the Buffalo news race for years and new owner Scripps is desperately looking for anything that can turn that around. 

Rowe certainly got out of Dodge just in time - her departure came the same week that Bell cut 380 staffers across the country, including a number of high profile on-air types in its local newsroom.

Rowe to co-anchor at Ch. 7 with Russo at 5 p.m. and 11 p.m., Radford at 6 p.m.

Last edited by RadioActive (January 4, 2016 10:14 pm)

January 4, 2016 10:14 pm  #2

Re: Ex-CTV Reporter Ashley Rowe To Get Huge Exposure As Buffalo Anchor

Does she know where our children are...'cause I don't

January 4, 2016 10:22 pm  #3

Not taking away from her accomplishment, and congratulations to her, but I've listened before as folks wax eloquent about Buffalo.  It's a city of about 260k versus  1,600,000 viewers to CTV News @ 6 in a city with a population of 2.6 million.

Obviously any port in a storm if you feel your current position may be tenuous, but all things equal, is this considered a good move?  

That being said, I'm all for the 'big fish in a small pond' scenario.  A lot of exceptional talent I've tried to hire over the years, from markets smaller than Toronto and Vancouver, turned me down flat, saying they had it great where they were, cost of living was sane, and many hadn't paid for a meal in decades .

Last edited by ig (January 4, 2016 10:23 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 4, 2016 11:01 pm  #4

Old Codger wrote:

Does she know where our children are...'cause I don't

Given that the station's been dead last by a huge margin for eons, perhaps they should change that to: "It's 11 o'clock. Do you know where our viewers are?"

ig wrote:

I'm all for the 'big fish in a small pond' scenario.  A lot of exceptional talent I've tried to hire over the years, from markets smaller than Toronto and Vancouver, turned me down flat, saying they had it great where they were, cost of living was sane, and many hadn't paid for a meal in decades.

It's funny you would say that, because I thought about that, too. Toronto is the #1 market in Canada and unless she was on Bell's not-so-short-list to be axed, you've got to wonder why you'd go to a city that ranks 52nd in the U.S.

My guess is it's those last three words - "in the U.S."  - that explains it. You gotta start somewhere and being in the American market will get you noticed a lot faster down south than staying on Canadian TV.  She may have aspirations to bigger DMAs than Toronto will provide. Plus, I can only assume an anchor will get paid a lot more - in Yankee dollars - than a reporter would make here.  Scripps is putting a lot of money into the place as its new owner. And finally, you no longer have to work for Bell, which can only be a bonus.

As for small fish/big pond, I've long heard a story about ex-City TV sports anchor Kathryn Humphreys (now a full time mom) once getting a huge offer from ESPN. She reportedly turned them down, not wanting to leave City, where she worked a 4-day week, got well paid, got to take it fairly easy, and basically could do any story she wanted. She would have made big bucks in Bristol, but she would never have had that freedom. Plus her family was here.

Don't know if that tale is apochryphal or not, but I've heard it from several sources over the years.   

Last edited by RadioActive (January 4, 2016 11:09 pm)

January 4, 2016 11:09 pm  #5

Perhaps she's an NFL fan?  I once looked at taking a job at 1 of the Buffalo radio stations.  Primarily because t's a foot in the Ameircan door.  BUT...it's also Buffalo.  Toronto is the 4th largest market in North America.  Might be harder to pick pocket talent from T.O. too.  Although Bell is looking for people who'll work for Kapuskasing money...whether they want to or not.

Good for her.  Bell, as a broadcast company, is extremely 'iffy' at best.

January 4, 2016 11:27 pm  #6

She'll need to rehearse saying "daller" ... er dollar. 

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

January 4, 2016 11:47 pm  #7

In the US, talent headhunters still are very active, recruiting for the top 10 or 20 markets. 
They do what old time (mid last century) radio program directors did, listen (watch) talent in the smaller markets and pick out the rising stars.
Much easier to do these days with the internet.
Back then, it was getting competitors to send tapes of people they wanted out of their markets or the PDs actually travelling to those markets and listening (watching) for great talent.

January 5, 2016 3:46 am  #8

I went through a lot of "crap" about my Toronto accent working at CKLW AM & FM in Windsor, Ontario.
It never came from Americans (Who loved the way I spoke...)
Canadian though were the most self-conscious, thin skinned somehow seeing themselves inferior to the "Mighty Detroit Radio Gods!

Details to come here on SOWNY, Your voice of the Toronto media since _____________!

Hey Dale Patterson, you have been heard accused of bringing the "Big Yellow Board" to the internet.
When did this occur?

January 5, 2016 8:25 am  #9

I must admit I was surprised at the Buffalo move.  Why?  Because her parents live in L.A.  A good friend of mine from CTV once told me he thought that L.A. would be her next move.

January 5, 2016 8:28 am  #10

Mark.  I remember been told by listeners that I sounded too American. It was all over one word.  Route.  Canadians pronounce it "root."  I pronounced it "Rowt."

January 5, 2016 3:14 pm  #11

And in England? Root.  You were right.  It is English after-all. 

Look...They think Detroit is "hockeytown".  Don't listen to them.  Too many games w/o a helmet.

January 5, 2016 5:17 pm  #12

Fun with words.  There is actually a site on how to pronounce this word.  I'm speaking of the word Foyer.  Now I am assuming this is a French word; which Canadians pronounce as Foy-yay. 

Then I started watching HGTV a few years back and they (Americans) pronounce it Foy-er.  Rrrrrrr. I don't get it.  I've heard a few Americans pronounce it Foy-yay. 

Then there's Kil-om-i-ter or kil-o-meter.  I believe the latter is the American way; but I might have got them reversed.  I've used them both; but you can still irritate a listener if you don't say it the way they do.

Last edited by Bearsville (January 5, 2016 5:22 pm)

January 5, 2016 6:51 pm  #13

I've been irritating the crap out of them for dang close to 45 years.  I believe they can take a joke.  Unless it's talk radio.  Then?  Humour requires intelligence. If you're short on the IQ end...you'll 'get' and appreciate nothing.  THAT'S the audience.  [Hosts get what they deserve.]

Last edited by Old Codger (January 5, 2016 6:52 pm)