sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2018 10:50 am  #1

Buffalo FM Uses End Of All Christmas Music To Switch Formats

Call it a Christmas tradition - a station playing all Xmas music for weeks and then launching a new format on Dec. 26th. That time honoured gimmick hit Buffalo on Wednesday, when a well known FM outlet there used the day-after-the-holiday to shift focus

What was called "The Mix 96.1" on Tuesday is now "The Breeze," a soft AC format. The station, which has a long history in the city, was once known as "WJYE" and called itself "Joy," It then morphed into a "Mix" branding and now is shooting "The Breeze." 

There's a list here of its first hour of music under the new Breeze banner it's hoping will attract bigger audiences. But according to the accompanying article, they were already trending upwards in the ratings. Perhaps the increase wasn't big enough and they decided to blow the whole thing up or they perceived a hole in the market and are trying to fill it.

One last thing about this station - it used to be easily receivable in the GTA, but once Classical 96.3 came along, it was just another Buffalo station crowded out by the signals of closer competitors. 

December 26, 2018 1:41 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo FM Uses End Of All Christmas Music To Switch Formats

I remember WJYE  "JOYFM" My dad always had it on in the car [when he wasn't listening to Wally] It was a traditional Elevator music/Eaaaaasssssy Listening station similar to CKDS, CKQT and 60's CHFI. I think the main reason for the decision to dump the "Mix' format is that they were consistently getting beaten by STAR102.5. In a Buffalo News article last fall, which was largely about the success of WECK, 102.5 beat 96.1 4.8 to 3.0.  In the spring 18 it was 6.2 to 2.5. winter 18 was 4.8 to 3.4. I guess there isn't enough listeners in WNY to support two HOT A/C stations. 

December 26, 2018 10:55 pm  #3

Entercom launched Breeze 98.7 in Detroit and they couldn't even wait until December 26th.
They started playing Christmas music but then switched format November 12th...
https://formatchange.com/98-7-amp-radio-becomes-the-breeze/

Was that due to the merger with CBS or just that they simply could not compete with Channel 955?

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 26, 2018 11:04 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 27, 2018 9:24 am  #4

I suspect the Detroit "Breeze" blew in because Amp Radio simply couldn't compete with WKQI. According to Stationratings.com in Sept/Oct/Nov 95.5 beat 98.7 5.2 to 2.4, 5.1 to 2.4 and 4.4 to 2.3. Nov cume was 829K to 658K

December 27, 2018 9:46 am  #5

kman wrote:

It appears that Soft A/C is making a massive comeback.

You're not the only one who's noticed.

Radio Insight: Soft A/C the latest darling of the industry

Side note to Dale Patterson: It's interesting how Sean Ross in the linked column not only talks about lesser played songs, but titles that section "Oh Wow." Great minds think alike etc. 

December 28, 2018 1:26 am  #6

So what might this mean for the Toronto market?
Will Stingray switch 93.5 over to Breeze FM? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.