sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2018 11:00 am  #1

Ads that Backfire

The most ubiquitous ads on Toronto radio are those for 'My Pillow'.  As a talk radio junkie, I hear their spots read by various on-air personalities countless times daily.  However, if I needed to buy a new pillow, 'My Pillow' would be the very LAST product I would purchase, simply because I despise their ads, and don't believe a single word of the many endorsements by Stafford, Gurney, Turner et al.  When does advertising actually become a 'negative' for potential new customers, or does the constant barrage of disingenuous promotions really translate into sales?

December 5, 2018 11:20 am  #2

Re: Ads that Backfire

This topic has appeared a # of times over the years.    

The subject was Sleep Country Canada on one occasion and the then-moderator admitted that when he needed a new mattress, despite being tired of her worn-out radio commercials, he asked himself "why buy a mattress anywhere else?" and went and purchased one from Christine Magoo

December 5, 2018 11:35 am  #3

Promo code CFMJ

December 5, 2018 12:55 pm  #4

I've been a customer of Tom's Place and happily recommend them. 

Despite all the bombast you hear on the radio, they have staff who really know their stuff.  The first time I walked in there looking for a suit, the gentleman serving me looked me up and down, reached into a rack and pulled out exactly what I was after.

I know the ads can be a turn-off, but they did their job.  They got my attention and got me to investigate them further only to discover it is actually a pretty decent shop.

That doesn't mean I like the ads.  But hey, a guy's gotta make a living, right?  It obviously works for them.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 5, 2018 1:00 pm)

December 5, 2018 1:07 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

The most ubiquitous ads on Toronto radio are those for 'My Pillow'.  As a talk radio junkie, I hear their spots read by various on-air personalities countless times daily.  However, if I needed to buy a new pillow, 'My Pillow' would be the very LAST product I would purchase, simply because I despise their ads, and don't believe a single word of the many endorsements by Stafford, Gurney, Turner et al.  When does advertising actually become a 'negative' for potential new customers, or does the constant barrage of disingenuous promotions really translate into sales?

The "My Pillow" guy shills for Trump.  My $ will go somewhere else, anywhere else.

December 5, 2018 1:11 pm  #6

Peter the K wrote:

Despite all the bombast you hear on the radio, they have staff who really know their stuff.  The first time I walked in there looking for a suit, the gentleman serving me looked me up and down, reached into a rack and pulled out exactly what I was after.

I know the ads can be a turn-off, but they did their job.  They got my attention and got me to investigate them further only to discover it is actually a pretty decent shop.
That doesn't mean I like the ads.  But hey, a guy's gotta make a living, right?  It obviously works for them.

His ads aren't generally well-liked around here, but I don't mind Tom's plugs.  I'm more inclined to believe him rambling on his own dime, than all the My Pillow shills reading from the exact same script.

December 5, 2018 6:02 pm  #7

Speaking of horrible ads:  "FACT:  I nominate the new series of Volkswagen radio spots 'Worst of the Year'.

December 5, 2018 6:06 pm  #8

I've also been a customer of Tommy's many times.  I agree, his schtick doesn't go over well here from time to time, but he truly does have a heart of gold.  I can think of quite a few times over the years that a tech. producer has gone down there with next to nothing to spend for a wedding, funeral, job interview or whatever and Tom made sure they were well taken care of.  

He's a wonderfully kind and generous guy.  

Peter the K wrote:

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.