sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2018 12:35 pm  #1

Here's Why Some Radio Stations Still Work In Tunnels

Here's Why Some Radio Stations Still Work In Tunnels

Not sure they do this anywhere in Toronto, but I can't think of a tunnel long enough here to justify it.

Didn't I once read a story that CKLW did this in the 60s and were the only ones receivable in the long tunnel between Detroit and Windsor? It became famous as the only station you could hear during all that time underground and in those days of no Internet, cassettes or 8-tracks, they had a virtual captive audience during that drive.

November 24, 2018 12:24 am  #2

Re: Here's Why Some Radio Stations Still Work In Tunnels

>> In the late 1960s, Windsor radio station CKLW AM 800 engineered a wiring setup which has allowed the station's signal to be heard clearly by automobiles traveling through the tunnel. Currently Detroit radio station WJR AM 760 can be heard clearly in the tunnel. <<

(Source: Wikiwand)

Can't tell you exactly when the above went into effect, RA, but it was when I was at the Big 8. (Late '60s - '72) There was a large sign above the entrance to the tunnel on the Windsor side, "on your radio...in the tunnel...the Big 8 cklw." Not sure about the Detroit side.
Should mention that 8 tracks came along in 1964. In-dash players were available in 1965 Ford Mustangs and a couple of Lincolns.

Last edited by mike marshall (November 24, 2018 12:32 am)