sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Fri Oct 12 6:37 am  #1

Alexa Volume

When listening to John Moore in the morning (or any 1010 show) on an Alexa device, there is a wild discrepancy in volume.  The host is very quiet, but traffic or weather reporters, commercials etc. are at least 50% louder.  I find myself increasing the volume when Moore is speaking, but having to turn it down when he is not.  Why is that?  P.S. it doesn't occur on any other station. 

Fri Oct 12 11:25 am  #2

Re: Alexa Volume

...and this is only happening on Alexa? No other source? Laptop? Tablet? Smartphone? etc...

Fri Oct 12 11:57 am  #3

Don't get that on Google home but station to station it can vary

Fri Oct 12 12:01 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

...and this is only happening on Alexa? No other source? Laptop? Tablet? Smartphone? etc...

No, I haven't noticed it elsewhere, and it's only 1010.  640 and others don't have the same variance in volume. 

Fri Oct 12 12:56 pm  #5

I wonder if the feed to Amazon is coming off the board unprocessed whereas those other listening sources (laptop, smartphone, tablet etc.) are being fed after the audio processing.

Fri Oct 12 2:00 pm  #6

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

I wonder if the feed to Amazon is coming off the board unprocessed whereas those other listening sources (laptop, smartphone, tablet etc.) are being fed after the audio processing.

Beats me, but I knew I came to the right place.  You guys know a lot more about this stuff than the average scrub!

Sat Oct 13 11:15 am  #7

Its not just Alexa it's the IHeart radio app in the car does the same thing. 

Sun Oct 14 5:47 pm  #8

Stinand wrote:

Its not just Alexa it's the IHeart radio app in the car does the same thing. 

Right....there is no Alexa "feed"; all of the streaming services either come from Tunein or iHeart.
It's entirely possible that the operators at 1010 are mixing while monitoring an AM air-feed, which would have significantly different relative levels. 

Mon Oct 15 8:01 am  #9

That's not how Alexa work, they are skills set up by the broacaster .The IHeart Radio app is a skill as is Newstalk 1010 , 640 am . You directly call up 1010, without going through app . The feed out to Alexa etc I'm guessing are Aux outs.  Ops are not mixing to the on air signal because of the delay thusely if there is an Amber Alert quite often th ops or talent cant hear them. However why in hell they cant put a compressor on the Aux out? 

Mon Oct 15 10:39 am  #10

I noticed the difference this morning during "The Early Show" with Robert Turner on Newstalk.

I have the Simple app (insert joke here) and coming off the top of the hour just after 5am. the spots and show intro were noticeably, almost unpleasantly louder than Robert. "YOU'RE LISTENING TO THE EARLY SHOW WITH ROBERT TURNER..."

On the plus side, I'm happy my middle-aged ears can notice the change, and still hear the lower level without reaching for the volume.