sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2018 3:09 pm  #1

Saturday's With Ted

I like Ted -- he's a crusty old fucker much like myself.
On today's program he did an interview with a doctor on coconut water.
The doctor gave his name & credentials etc. -- he's a legit medical man.
The 5 minute interview allowed the doc to extol the virtues of coconut water vs. other well known drinks "that we won't name"
But here's the thing - the dr. mentioned a brand name at least 3 times during the interview -- hence this was not an interview as such but a 5 minute spot.
I'd not heard Ted doing this before & frankly I felt deceived.
No mention of a "paid advertisement" before or after the bit.
No disclaimer but it was obvious what was going on.
What in the hell is going on?

June 30, 2018 3:18 pm  #2

Re: Saturday's With Ted

For clarity, what is your concern? That Ted is now added to the pantheon of shillers and hawkers including that pillow, that realtor, that water conditioner, those clothiers? Ted already hawks for a certain butcher chain and (formerly) was a voice for a car fix place.

Frankly, the only surprise for me is the fact that he's still got a show. Haven't we long suspected the bulk of his program to be open to shillers and hawkers? C'mon, he brings on a restaurant only minutes of a 1-hour food show (Let's Eat). Then he has company after company hawking their crap. There really isn't nothing new here. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2011/08/15/139638930/saved-by-the-coconut-water-parsing-coconut-waters-medical-claims

June 30, 2018 3:28 pm  #3

Re: Saturday's With Ted

I, too, resorted to listening to Dead Air Ted for a few minutes today. I didn't hear the offending interview, but he was enthusiastically shilling for the IROC Camaro who was recently made Premier of Ontario, which didn't sound unusual.