sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2018 5:53 pm  #1

What do advertisers not understand about My Pillow?!

Let's do some hypothetical math here: on ONE station alone, 5, count them, FIVE hosts shill My Pillow once or twice an hour. Several stations in the T.O. market alone do this. Does this NOT give the listener the impression that this pillow is categorically beyond preciously expensive? And, this is but ONE market in the literal thousands of markets they advertise in. What's wrong with this picture?

(as a desperate plea: Please, Tom, STOP singing "Happy Birthday" (to yourself). You're beyond not talented and a marked screech on my eardrums. for the love of whatever god you believe in, effing STOP)

June 27, 2018 7:04 pm  #2

Re: What do advertisers not understand about My Pillow?!

Go back to sleep - nothing to see here ;-)

Last edited by Saul (June 27, 2018 7:04 pm)

June 27, 2018 7:22 pm  #3

This article is from 2016 and deals with the law in the U.S. But it's a cautionary tale about how much stock to put into this stuffed pillow's claims.

MyPillow Ordered to Pay $1M for Bogus Ads

Then there's this from January of last year.

MyPillow under fire from consumer watchdog for its never-ending 'two for one' offer on TV commercials

With so much controversy, it's a wonder those behind the pillow can sleep at night!

June 27, 2018 8:42 pm  #4

Everyone's in on it....
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1012128063080067072
Grifters gonna grift.

Last edited by Don (June 27, 2018 8:48 pm)

June 27, 2018 9:14 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This article is from 2016 and deals with the law in the U.S. But it's a cautionary tale about how much stock to put into this stuffed pillow's claims.
With so much controversy, it's a wonder those behind the pillow can sleep at night!

The same can be said with the endless sales of a couple men's clothiers that seemingly have virtual non-stop "sales" of "exclusive" "brands" ad infinium. There IS an Ontario commerce law that states products must be sold for a certain period of time before going on a sales reduction. Yet, those clothiers constantly state claims such as "just in/off the truck/the stork brought them and they're 70% off". How do they get away with these false claims? And why do so-called "authoritative news voice" stations allow themselves such charlatanism?

June 28, 2018 12:00 am  #6

Having multiple radio hosts on a station selling the product weakens their credibility (as such). Either do it the way John Moore works with that water filtration system company, or at least one host per station for a product, or your listeners get the clear message that it's just another average radio ad.

On the plus side there seems to be fewer pillow ads, with the new food delivery service taking over the MyPillow spots for ads, the name of which I can't recall.. something semi cute and irritating I think.

(I heard Tom too, and there must be someone on the staff of one the radio stations he works with that he's chummy with who could rein him in. He's trying to do what Lou does, and play radio host for a minute and riff on current events, instead of doing what he's there to do.)

June 28, 2018 12:47 am  #7

what is the equivalent of television product placement on radio?  one cannot see timmies mugs on the desk, etc. unless you're watching filler shows on sports tv simulcasts.

June 28, 2018 5:06 am  #8

Sooner or later, I'm pretty sure some of the pillows will end up here:
https://bobbysliquidation.com/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.