sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sun Oct 7 3:35 pm  #91

Re: CKNT is on the air!

Listened to CKNT a couple of days ago on the way from Hamilton at around 5 PM... after about an hour, my ears started to bleed.

Boy... for a radio station, this outfit needs A LOT of work. They have this radio show running from 4 to 7 PM, all spoken stuff with phone calls and such. The audio is a complete disaster - it is either too loud or too soft. There is quite a bit of clipping and over-modulating. I'm no fan of commercials but whoever is advertising on this radio station should get their money back - the background music obliterates the spoken parts of the commercial so you have no idea what the commercial is all about. Same happens with some of the music being played where the lyrics are barely audible yet the accompanying music comes through just fine. It's almost as if you fed the hot leads of left and right channels of your stereo into a speaker - lyrics are common to both channels and will cancel out, while music will come through since the different instruments are distributed between the two channels (ie. drums being predominantly on one side, bass on the other, etc)
So one of the guests on the show was Ravi, who was referred to as a "radio wave technical expert".... I had to laugh - maybe Ravi should have a listen to the actual broadcast and help them fix this mess.

I'm still questioning their station identification etiquette. Every so often they transmit "This is Sauga 960" and not once is the station callsign ever mentioned. As a ham, I have to identify myself every 10 minutes with a full callsign and I would like to think that a radio station, since it is transmitting continuously, should identify itself at least once every 30 minutes..... but that's just me.

Sun Oct 7 4:07 pm  #92

navaidstech wrote:

As a ham, I have to identify myself every 10 minutes with a full callsign and I would like to think that a radio station, since it is transmitting continuously, should identify itself at least once every 30 minutes..... but that's just me.

Industry Canada requires it once per hour, but it's not really enforced.

And the effect you're describing the the music washing out the v/o or the vocals is phase reversal (exactly like the home stereo speaker setup you described). 

Sun Oct 7 5:54 pm  #93

Not quite phase reversal...
Two signals of the same phase and frequency fed to a speaker will produce a voltage difference of 0, thus canceling them out.

Sun Oct 7 6:24 pm  #94

Thanks for the clarification

Mon Oct 15 8:41 pm  #95

Here's a bit of CKNT 960 as heard on October 15, 2018 in Ridgway, Pennsylvania about 150-160 miles away from the transmitter.

Here they are at 915am with the bumper music going into a break and a commercial:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ok6KX9K49Ar6b87YyMyJhVm0M9M92Yxr/view?usp=sharing

Here at 919am, is an ad for a mayor, leading back into the talk program:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lGIkBFJyrnVAwCYyEdYVR67TXcXfR1nF/view?usp=sharing

Tecsun PL880, 300 foot longwire and signal preamp.