sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2018 10:21 am  #1

CTV To Rebrand Space, Bravo! And Other Cable Stations

CTV has announced it’s planning to change the names of some of its most well known cable properties in a rebranding exercise that will – what else? – make sure you know who’s behind them.

Space will become "CTV Sci-Fi," while Bravo! will morph into "CTV Drama." Those are the two most well known entities but there’s more. Comedy will soon be known as "CTV Comedy" while Gusto transforms into "CTV Life." (In other news, there's a cable channel called "Gusto.")

This is somewhat akin to Rogers renaming SkyDome "The Rogers Centre," looking to get that corporate name into every crevice of every property they own. And while I understand why they do it, I sometimes wonder if it’s such a smart idea. It took first CHUM and then CTV years to establish “Space” as Canada’s go-to science fiction channel. Now they’re just going to throw it in the trash after all these years of putting it in the public’s consciousness? Seems like a waste to me.

In addition, they’re also creating two new on demand services. One is "CTV Movies," and you can guess what that one will show. The other is "CTV Vault," which will have complete seasons of many popular older programs, like “The Larry Sanders Show,” “Community,” “Rescue Me” and more.

Their press release states both of them will be “free,” but I’m guessing that means only to Bell subscribers. The new VOD players will be available on a number of platforms and will launch in the latter half of 2018.

June 8, 2018 11:47 am  #2

Re: CTV To Rebrand Space, Bravo! And Other Cable Stations

RadioActive wrote:

I sometimes wonder if it’s such a smart idea. It took first CHUM and then CTV years to establish “Space” as Canada’s go-to science fiction channel. Now they’re just going to throw it in the trash after all these years of putting it in the public’s consciousness? Seems like a waste to me..

At first, yes, it does seem redundant, but, given the scope of focus is changing amongst these channels, there is a bit of logic. "Space" will transition from mostly "space"-related programming to a more general "sci-fi" one. It's a refresh of sorts.

"Bravo" is moving away from an implied copycat of the U.S.-version (which it really isn't) to a more drama-based one. The U.S.-version is heading to reality comps like "Top Chef" and other vacancies left by the former "Spike". While Canada firms-up its drama content. Given the fluidity of trans-border viewing, CTV was looking for a more formal distinction.

"Gusto" in Canada has a rather checkered history. It's been owned, rebranded and refreshed by two different owners. It will never be on par popularity with "Food Network" or "Cooking Channel", so time for a rebrand.

June 8, 2018 7:59 pm  #3

Just a guess: there's a consultant involved here.

Gusto is the former Much More Music (M3).

Last edited by mike marshall (June 8, 2018 9:27 pm)

June 9, 2018 7:53 am  #4

If CTV continues to do the lipstick on a pig thing with no Canadian content exclusive to those channels then I guess it's time to cut the cord.
Who needs cable/Fibe when there's a world of channels out there streaming and a box to find all those channels for you?

Enough with the only good thing about CTV channels being that I'm guaranteed Canadian commercials (ZZZZZZZZZzzzz) 
Give me a real reason to watch!
Create Canadian shows that can only be found on those CTV channels.
Otherwise, Comedy USA (& UK) are meeting my needs just fine. (to name at least one channel.)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 25, 2018 12:21 am  #5

Funny that CTV Vault is called that.  US TV Vault would be a more accurate name unless it's going to have Littlest Hobo and Definition reruns..

June 25, 2018 5:06 am  #6

Prod Guy wrote:

Funny that CTV Vault is called that.  US TV Vault would be a more accurate name unless it's going to have Littlest Hobo and Definition reruns..

Or maybe a new home for old Live it up reruns with a text message at the bottom of the screen that reads "The way it was back then..." lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 25, 2018 3:23 pm  #7

June 25, 2018 3:53 pm  #8

Gusto has a bizarre history in Canada. Now, I'm going by memory here, but Gusto has around a while ago, owned by another company. Then, when Bell bought M3, they rebranded it to Gusto and the other channel went away. This Starlord or whatever isn't even Canadian; it's a Singapore operation.