sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2018 4:23 pm  #1

Media Activist Group Claims Bell Is Refusing To Air Their Radio Ads

Open Media is a well known Canadian activist group that tries to keep the Bells and the Rogers of the world honest. They’re constantly asking for money “to keep up the fight”, which is where they lose me. But on Wednesday, I received the following email, making this claim:

“Radio stations are refusing to run our ads educating Canadians about Bell’s proposal for extrajudicial website blocking. Why? Because they’re afraid the ads would give the CRTC ammunition to remove their licence.

What a cold and hard reminder of why it’s so critical to keep the Internet free of censorship like this, which makes it easy for a small handful of powerful entities to police what we can and can’t say online.”

(Bell has asked the feds to allow them to block websites that 'encourage or enable' piracy. Open Media worries, with good reason, that it's just the start of allowing the big telcos to censor any websites they don't like.)

Still, radio stations are free to turn down anyone they want. But if what Open Media says is true, then it smacks of the privilege of using their very exclusive airwaves to block dissenting opinion solely for corporate and monopolistic reasons. But without knowing exactly what’s in the copy, I’m not quite clear how running such an ad would threaten anyone's licences.

Of course, the plaintive ad quoted above ended with a plea for a donation. Proving, like the often heavy-handed tactics of Bell and Rogers, some things never change!

March 15, 2018 5:44 am  #2

Re: Media Activist Group Claims Bell Is Refusing To Air Their Radio Ads

Not directly related, but it's always surprised me to see Netflix ads on linear TV channels, especially the ones operated by the same companies bemoaning Netflix eating their market share. Is the need for an ad dollar so bad they'd sabotage themselves in the long run? Apparently so.

March 15, 2018 8:26 am  #3

Re: Media Activist Group Claims Bell Is Refusing To Air Their Radio Ads

Retaw wrote:

Not directly related, but it's always surprised me to see Netflix ads on linear TV channels, especially the ones operated by the same companies bemoaning Netflix eating their market share. Is the need for an ad dollar so bad they'd sabotage themselves in the long run? Apparently so.

Rule out the Rogers owned stations. They've been in bed with Netflix ever since Shomi vanished. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.