sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2018 5:45 pm  #1

Jack Berkovits Claims His 640 Ratings Are Up 150%

Anyone who’s ever listened to Jack Berkovits knows the man is prone to, shall we charitably say “exaggeration.” In the past he’s claimed to be a rabbi, a teacher, a legal expert (who supposedly rejected admission to Harvard Law School when he was asked a question about defending Nazis in court) and in previous weeks, a marriage counselor. In fact, I’ve lost track of all his supposed expertise.

And he was at it again on Sunday, this time starting off his show with five minutes of braggadocio touting his terrific ratings in the last book. While admitting he didn’t “have the numbers in front of him,” he insists his ratings, especially in key demos, are up 150%.

Is it possible his numbers went up year over year? Certainly. He only started last April, and what was on before him was either paid programming or re-rolls. So whatever the real figures, he had nowhere to go but up. If you’re at .01 on Sundays from 5-7 PM and you wind up with more listeners because you’re live and local, your ratings will almost have to increase.

He also referenced that “station down the dial,” noting their numbers were “way down.” I have no way of corroborating that, and he offered no other proof, but I do know that the Sunday afternoon time period isn’t exactly the most important in radio. Not to mention the overall numbers show ’RB with a 7.2 and 640 with a 1.7. Hardly the stuff of bragging rights!

Not that I would expect anything different from a man who only advertises on the station that carries his show, is always talking about how he has “so many callers, we can’t get to them all” and then rarely gets to any of them, complains about having to pay his workers on stat holidays, and admits to being on vacation in Hong Kong last week and getting up at 6 AM to listen to a reroll of his show online because he wanted to hear himself.

More people may indeed be listening to him. But I can testify that, for the most part, I’m not one of them!

March 11, 2018 5:50 pm  #2

Re: Jack Berkovits Claims His 640 Ratings Are Up 150%

The sample on 5-7 Sundays is not big enough to read anything into, especially if he's trying to break it down into "key demos." Short weekend specialty shows are un-measurable on their own.

Last edited by Don (March 11, 2018 5:50 pm)

March 11, 2018 5:51 pm  #3

My sentiments exactly. 

Somebody ought to tell him that while it's OK to hype things in radio, ("We're #1!" "We play the best music!" etc.)  straying too far from the truth on a regular basis only hurts your credibility - to say nothing of your station's.  

March 11, 2018 5:52 pm  #4

If he went from 1 listener to 3, he's correct, and more!
or however the math works.
If the original is small enough, the percentage always looks amazing.

And also what Don said.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 11, 2018 5:57 pm  #5

Well, this is news to me.  GNR 640 has, admittingly, improved a bulk of their programming (with exception of the revamped morning show and what follows).  BUT, for me, there is absolutely NOTHING worthy on their weekend platter.  As far as I'm concerned, all of their weekend programming (including Jack's) is shilled slop.  Frankly, I didn't even know ole Jack was still on -- 640 mysteriously dropped the promos for his "show" in lieu of those incessantly repetitive Hakim Optical/Sunday Comedy promos.

March 11, 2018 6:02 pm  #6

And oh yeah, I forgot - he also claimed that his TSL figures show that most of those who tune into his show at 5 PM stay for the entire two hours. I doubt even a prime time weekday show on either RB or 640 could possibly make that statement. 

March 11, 2018 6:07 pm  #7

March 11, 2018 6:13 pm  #8

It's kind of silly to even give him the numbers, but if you're paying for your timeslot you're entitled to them, I guess.

March 11, 2018 6:17 pm  #9

Is anyone certain this is paid programing because it might not be.  Can we hold back on making silly statements that have no basis in fact, unless you know for sure.  If may be, for whatever reason, the station has offered him the slot, or hired him for it, I have no idea, and to be blunt, unless you have keys to sniff around the offices at Corus Quay, neither do you.

ig.

March 11, 2018 6:21 pm  #10

Point taken. I assumed, but don't know.

March 11, 2018 6:24 pm  #11

Don wrote:

Point taken. I assumed, but don't know.

It's worth asking, because I know when I was in that position, I'd invite people who interested me to do shows, for no other reason than, well, they interested me .

March 11, 2018 7:11 pm  #12

I will admit to having absolutely no idea what Berkovits' arrangement with Corus might be. Perhaps he's a paid employee, perhaps it's a contra deal. I can't say either way. 

I do, however, find it interesting that the only station he seems to advertise on is AM 640. Perhaps other outlets reject his ads since he's seen as a personality for a competitor, although I can't fathom that to be the case. It also strikes me as relevant that all his spots on CFRB - and he was a heavy advertiser there if memory serves - suddenly stopped the week his show was cancelled. (He has since claimed on air that it was due to his refusal to tone down his criticisms of Muslims or to temper his "Jewishness," although I find impossible to believe a company as big as Bell would ever dare say such a thing.)

You can't make any definitive statements from all that, but it certainly does lead you to certain albeit unproven conclusions.  

And finally, whatever his reasons for abandoning his old station as an advertiser, I have to wonder about them. There is no question that CFRB has a much bigger audience in all dayparts than 640. So if he's boycotting 1010 out of spite - and I'm not saying he is - he'd only be hurting his own interests. And you'd think a rabbi-teacher-author-lecturer-almost-a-lawyer-marriage expert and jeweler would know better. 

March 11, 2018 7:28 pm  #13

C'mon.  Get real.  It's shilled time.  The rest of 640's weekend sched is (with the possible exemption of geyser Roy Green's muffle-a-thon) so why not Jack's?  640 is chalk full of dubious precious metals, potions, lotions, etc crap.  Guilt by association.  If not... yeah right...

March 15, 2018 5:44 pm  #14

But that's exactly the point.  Of course he's shilling, and that seems to be everybody's issue with him on this venerable board. He gets to live his dream, he entertains the public, and he helps his business.  Seems like a good deal all the way around.  So why this fixation with him?
BTW, I do some analytical work for an agency that dissects the Numeris numbers, and he's not exaggerating. I verified. In fact, our agency has entertained more than one request from advertisers who want to have their spots air on his show, specifically.

Last edited by Samaritan (March 15, 2018 5:46 pm)

March 15, 2018 6:04 pm  #15

Samaritan wrote:

But that's exactly the point. Of course he's shilling, and that seems to be everybody's issue with him on this venerable board. He gets to live his dream, he entertains the public, and he helps his business. Seems like a good deal all the way around. So why this fixation with him?
BTW, I do some analytical work for an agency that dissects the Numeris numbers, and he's not exaggerating. I verified. In fact, our agency has entertained more than one request from advertisers who want to have their spots air on his show, specifically.

Clever -- Jack, himself, is now posting under a pseudonym.  Memories of "geo" and his multiple logins. 

March 15, 2018 6:25 pm  #16

Ouch.  Aren't you the clever one.
that obvious?

March 15, 2018 6:26 pm  #17

But, unfortunately, I'm no Geo.  But you do know who I am. We've worked together.

March 20, 2018 7:47 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Anyone who’s ever listened to Jack Berkovits knows the man is prone to, shall we charitably say “exaggeration.” In the past he’s claimed to be a rabbi, a teacher, a legal expert (who supposedly rejected admission to Harvard Law School when he was asked a question about defending Nazis in court) and in previous weeks, a marriage counselor. In fact, I’ve lost track of all his supposed expertise.

And he was at it again on Sunday, this time starting off his show with five minutes of braggadocio touting his terrific ratings in the last book. While admitting he didn’t “have the numbers in front of him,” he insists his ratings, especially in key demos, are up 150%.

Is it possible his numbers went up year over year? Certainly. He only started last April, and what was on before him was either paid programming or re-rolls. So whatever the real figures, he had nowhere to go but up. If you’re at .01 on Sundays from 5-7 PM and you wind up with more listeners because you’re live and local, your ratings will almost have to increase.

He also referenced that “station down the dial,” noting their numbers were “way down.” I have no way of corroborating that, and he offered no other proof, but I do know that the Sunday afternoon time period isn’t exactly the most important in radio. Not to mention the overall numbers show ’RB with a 7.2 and 640 with a 1.7. Hardly the stuff of bragging rights!

Not that I would expect anything different from a man who only advertises on the station that carries his show, is always talking about how he has “so many callers, we can’t get to them all” and then rarely gets to any of them, complains about having to pay his workers on stat holidays, and admits to being on vacation in Hong Kong last week and getting up at 6 AM to listen to a reroll of his show online because he wanted to hear himself.

More people may indeed be listening to him. But I can testify that, for the most part, I’m not one of them!

Osgoode Hall.

March 21, 2018 7:58 am  #19

Last edited by Fitz (March 21, 2018 7:58 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 21, 2018 1:15 pm  #20

K.  Everyone has had a good kick at this can and I'm sick of it, so consider the topic closed.  If you'd like to take up the battle with Jack personally, please see his website http://omnijewelcrafters.com/ for contact information.   The e-mail listed there is:  info@omnijewelcrafters.com

ig.