sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2018 9:40 pm  #1

70 Global News employees laid off across Canada

TORONTO — Unifor says Corus-owned Global News has cut nearly 70 media jobs across Canada, with Vancouver taking the biggest hit. The union says the layoffs affect camera operators, reporters, anchors, control room staff, make-up artists and other production crew in local news agencies. 

http://business.financialpost.com/telecom/media/nearly-70-global-news-employees-laid-off-across-canada-unifor

February 15, 2018 10:06 pm  #2

Re: 70 Global News employees laid off across Canada

I guess the 3300 employees who took a buyout just weren't enough. 

February 15, 2018 10:26 pm  #3

I love the spin they're putting on this. In an article on Globalnews.ca,  they reveal they're hiring 50 people for digital positions to bring local stories to under-served areas - and that those let go will be offered some of those jobs. (Want to bet those new openings pay significantly less than the ones they just cut?)

But then they say this:

"Today’s move was not reactive, [Senior Vice-President of Global News and Corus Radio Troy] Reeb confirmed, to the recent drop in Corus Entertainment’s stock price, which analysts blamed on softer-than-expected television ad revenue."

Anyone buy that explanation? 

Global News announces reorganization, new investment in local markets

February 16, 2018 2:18 am  #4

Chuck99 wrote:

The ratings for a couple of the national newscasts, notably CTV National News and Global National, have been slowing eroding for the past few years.  More people, including myself, are obtaining news through digital platforms such as web sites and podcasts.  So I don't think the announcement is complete balderdash.

People are also recording CTV National & Global National and fast forwarding through the ads.
Rogers has a blocker if you watch Global National or CTV National by selecting "Global shows" or "CTV shows" on channel 100 but the blocking of the fast forward option is useless because there are hardly any ads through that option. (if any)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.