sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2017 9:47 am  #1

What's Missing From All Those Radio Obits On David Cassidy?

I wasn't a Partridge Family fan - just out of the demo at the time, I guess - but I was still saddened to hear about David Cassidy's passing at such an early age. Not unexpectedly, the story has been all over the radio in the past 24 hours. But the one thing that's surprised me is what's not being heard. 

Every story I've heard on this has played a Partridge Family or David Cassidy song. So far, they've aired snippets of the TV show theme, Cassidy's version of "Cherish" and a few tunes I don't even recognize. But not one station I've tuned into has played an excerpt from "I Think I Love You," the only Partridge Family song to hit number one and unarguably their biggest hit of all time. 

Is it because those writing and producing the obits are too young to recall this song or is something else at work? Either way, I find it odd that a singer's biggest hit has been completely absent from the story on his death. 

November 22, 2017 10:07 am  #2

Re: What's Missing From All Those Radio Obits On David Cassidy?

The CBC's The National used part of "I Think I Love You" last night during their piece on David Cassidy's passing.

November 22, 2017 7:49 pm  #3

I've heard it on CNN today.

November 22, 2017 8:13 pm  #4

Fair enough, but you might notice, I said I didn't hear it on the radio obits. Not sure what the TV types did, but it sounds like they were aware of the big hit or their syndicated news package or morgues offered them the requisite clip. Considering it's radio that airs music, it seems like that was a far more puzzling omission.

November 22, 2017 11:26 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Fair enough, but you might notice, I said I didn't hear it on the radio obits. Not sure what the TV types did, but it sounds like they were aware of the big hit or their syndicated news package or morgues offered them the requisite clip. Considering it's radio that airs music, it seems like that was a far more puzzling omission. 

Yes, I did notice. Just thought I'd toss it into the discussion. I remember what a big hit it was at the time, and it is surprising that radio obits wouldn't have included it.
And by the way, an interesting thing about the seven Partridge Family top 40 Billboard hits is that each one charted lower than the previous one. You could basically see how their career was going downhill by looking at this. But it would also suggest that I Think I Love You would be the best song to go with for an obit.

November 23, 2017 6:58 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I wasn't a Partridge Family fan - just out of the demo at the time, I guess - but I was still saddened to hear about David Cassidy's passing at such an early age. Not unexpectedly, the story has been all over the radio in the past 24 hours. But the one thing that's surprised me is what's not being heard. 

Every story I've heard on this has played a Partridge Family or David Cassidy song. So far, they've aired snippets of the TV show theme, Cassidy's version of "Cherish" and a few tunes I don't even recognize. But not one station I've tuned into has played an excerpt from "I Think I Love You," the only Partridge Family song to hit number one and unarguably their biggest hit of all time. 

Is it because those writing and producing the obits are too young to recall this song or is something else at work? Either way, I find it odd that a singer's biggest hit has been completely absent from the story on his death. 

Uh... on Zoomer Radio, we played "I Think I Love You" in full during the 6am and 8am hours, and a clip from the song in every newscast until the afternoon.

(Sorry to be a wet blanket... just wanted to correct the record.  Mind you, I keep reading thread after thread here from people who still think we play Pat Boone and dwell outside the top ten stations in the city, so I get that we're not necessarily the #1 button on everyone's presets here.)

November 24, 2017 12:00 am  #7

Featured tune on the "Rock and Roll Heaven" feature @ 2:10 pm on 92.9 The GRAND, yesterday.

November 26, 2017 5:29 am  #8

David Cassidy's last words before he died, "So much wasted time." His daughter, actress Katie Cassidy sent a message via Twitter to his fans, thanking everyone for the overwhelming love and support, and shared the words her dad said just moments before he died.

It remains to be seen if this haunting insight of David's will be noteworthy enough to be discussed at all on the radio on Monday, during a roundtable, or as a call in topic.

Maybe it's one last gift artists give us after their deaths, appreciation for the here and now, and awareness of passing time.

November 27, 2017 2:46 pm  #9

Last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, CHCH had the following on for 10 seconds after the 5:00 airing of The Partridge Family:

I thought that was rather classy of them.

Last edited by Peter the K (November 27, 2017 2:46 pm)