sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Sat Sep 16 8:52 am  #1

Proud FM Power Boost / Z103 Transmitter Relocated to Orangeville

If the CRTC approves the two applications submitted yesterday by Dufferin Communications, millions of people will be added to Proud FM's coverage area thanks to a change in frequency, a power increase and relocation to First Canadian Place. Correspondingly, the Z103 transmitter gets moved to Orangeville where countless farm animals will then be within coverage of it's massive signal.

I'm guessing the significant increase in Proud FM's coverage will be an issue for Toronto's current stations and that the CRTC will deny the application(s) as it has many times in recent years when stations have applied for improved coverage in Toronto.

All the details here.

Sat Sep 16 2:53 pm  #2

Re: Proud FM Power Boost / Z103 Transmitter Relocated to Orangeville

My guess is this is about digital. Neither signal is good enough at present. 1 off FCP and 103 could be positioned as a far stronger digital channel.

The CRTC will deny the application as an end run around the existing stations and the Evanov v. CRTC battle will continue.

It would be funny if they order CIDC to relocate in Orangeville anyway . I would.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

Sat Sep 16 7:55 pm  #3

ig wrote:

My guess is this is about digital.

Indeed you appear to be right, Iain. In the application, Dufferin/Evanov is asking for permission to start several HD channels if they get permission to switch Pride from 103.9 to 103.7.

"Initial operation will be in MP3 mode, with three digital services: HD1 will of course be a simulcast of the main CIRR-FM program, HD2 will be the program of CIDC-FM 103.5 MHz Orangeville, and HD3 will be the program of its CIAO 530 kHz AM Brampton. Eventually MP4 mode may be implemented with yet another alternate program or data service."

But you gotta love the cojones on these guys. In its filing to the CRTC, Evanov indicates it plans to use any HD signals for the benefit of the city's gay community. How do digital versions of Z103.5 and CIAO 530 do that, exactly?

In another document, Evanov repeats the old canard about how the Commission let everyone else get away from their area of licence (i.e. CFNY was licenced to Brampton, AM640 to Richmond Hill, etc.) but they were allowed to compete in Toronto. In their latest update, the owners complain they're losing money and that there's so much construction in Toronto, their weak signals are being shut out of the downtown core.

"...there have been more high-rise condominium projects completed downtown in every year since 2010 than in any other year since 1990. This condo construction boom, that is still apparent in Toronto, has caused the topography and the demographics of the city to change once again. The result is that CIDC-FM’s signal can no longer be heard clearly in many parts of the CMA where it was traditionally heard. As a result, listeners who wish to tune the station in their car to and from work, or at home, or in their new condo downtown are no longer able, and they have abandoned the station."

O.K., but the CRTC has warned these guys over and over again that CIDC isn't supposed to be a Toronto station. So if they can't hear it in downtown boomtown, they're technically not supposed to be there anyway. It appears this latest foray is designed to change tactics. If CIDC can't be a Toronto station, then CIRR (Pride) will be their de facto money maker in the city proper with a stronger signal. And as noted, CIDC will piggyback on its HD signal, gaining another entry into the hallowed halls of the #1 market in Canada. 

These guys have no shame and they'll apparently stop at nothing to get their way. They knew what they were getting into when they applied for - and won - the Iicences for both stations. I hope the CRTC tells them to get lost.

Sat Sep 16 8:27 pm  #4

The fretful Orangeville soccer moms don't want radio towers and transmitters.  

Mon Sep 18 10:18 am  #5

After reading the application, for both CIDC and CIRR, what I get from it is this..

CIDC will become something for Orangeville/Dufferin again, and CIRR, will flip to a more generic format for everyone (Likely moving the Z format to 103.7) then moving Proud to an Online/HD signal.

The wording on the CIRR app really doesn't make me think they will be keeping the full time PROUD FM brand/format once they move to 103.7 if approved, on the main signal. 

Mon Sep 18 11:49 am  #6

radiokid wrote:

After reading the application, for both CIDC and CIRR, what I get from it is this..

CIDC will become something for Orangeville/Dufferin again, and CIRR, will flip to a more generic format for everyone (Likely moving the Z format to 103.7) then moving Proud to an Online/HD signal.

The wording on the CIRR app really doesn't make me think they will be keeping the full time PROUD FM brand/format once they move to 103.7 if approved, on the main signal. 

Could this mean Jewel 103.7 in Toronto? The horror...

Mon Sep 18 12:25 pm  #7

Unless you really care about sound quality, their current 103.5 signal is decently audible (only in a car) even in downtown.  Ive driven right next to the CN tower listening to the 103 broadcast (which sounded like mono) but was coming in 

Mon Sep 18 12:25 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

The fretful Orangeville soccer moms don't want radio towers and transmitters.  

Nothing to see here, move along folks

Mon Sep 18 6:05 pm  #9

The funny part is, if this gets approved, CIDC FM will be back to its original transmitter site when the station first started (west of orangeville on 2nd line concession) 

Mon Sep 18 7:37 pm  #10

MyFM must love all this... considering they got the Orangeville licence on the basis that Evanov had abandoned the market....

Mon Sep 18 8:39 pm  #11

I have to hand it to Evanov/Dufferin Communications for at least being good at some “creative writing.” If you read the proposal they’ve submitted to the CRTC on this application, it’s filled with some pretty high concept ideas. Except I would suggest many of them are more flights of fancy than well grounded facts.  

For example, they point out that they’ve started or acquired a host of stations in many smaller markets and they need a Toronto outlet to keep those afloat. They argue that should have been CIDC.

“Historically … Dufferin needs to rely on a flagship station in Toronto not only to generate sufficient revenues to bolster the profitability of that one service, but to support stations operated by the Evanov Radio Group in smaller, less robust markets. The future losses that are on the horizon without intervention will be catastrophic to these stations, and to the markets they serve.”

O.K. but if you didn’t think those stations were viable without a full-powered Toronto outlet, then why the hell did you bother applying for them or buying them at all? You knew what you had when you did it. So don’t moan about it not working now.

And after being chastised for trying to turn 103.5 into a T.O. station, they actually tried to get away with this:

“At the time of licensing, Orangeville was a distinct market from Toronto, but over time, and for a long time now, Orangeville was subsumed into the larger Toronto CMA as a result of geographic and demographic changes in the region. As a result, CIDC-FM was forced to compete more generally with other Toronto CMA stations, and modified its programming to reflect Orangeville’s positioning within the broader Toronto CMA market.”

Yup, they were forced – forced I tell you! – to compete with Toronto. Despite the promises they made to get the station in the first place. They also note that changes from paper diaries to PPMs have hurt them in the ratings, something the CRTC has nothing to do with.

And as Splunge noted, they have the chutzpah to say the licensing of MyFM proves the Commission concurs that Orangeville needed a local station and therefore they were agreeing that Z103.5 was no longer acting as one.

“At the time of that decision, MY FM had positioned itself as a first service for Orangeville, arguing Dufferin had abandoned the market. Since the Commission granted the application without a call for applications that would have otherwise been required in a market already being served, Dufferin understood the Commission to have accepted CIDC-FM as a Toronto station, and that it would be treated it as such in the future.”

After having said all that, they end with this gem:

“If approved, CIDC-FM (Orangeville) would offer a truly local service to Orangeville (on a much reduced power on 103.5 MHz), while CIRR-FM (Toronto) would receive a power increase to broadcast on 103.7 MHz with programming that will continue to reflect the diversity of Toronto that is gay-friendly; an all inclusive format that transcends gender and sexuality.”

They add that times have changed and that the gay community is now spread all over Ontario (like it wasn’t before?) and Pride should be allowed to reach the diaspora that is the gay audience.

So in other words, give us what we want and we’ll agree to do what we were licenced for in the first place.

As I said, they have more nerve than a leg suffering from sciatica.

Mon Sep 18 9:36 pm  #12

splunge wrote:

MyFM must love all this... considering they got the Orangeville licence on the basis that Evanov had abandoned the market....

As long as 103.5 doesn't cry out that they need to change the format to be more profitable, lol
A return to the days of DC 103five would be a direct threat attack on MY FM.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Evanov group tries to buy My FM Orangeville though...everybody! Get your popcorn! lol

Mon Sep 18 10:45 pm  #13

@ RadioActive, I look forward to your CRTC intervention!

@ Radiowiz, according to the Dufferin/Evanov applications, they dont' have enough money to operate their existing stations as a network.  MyFM will laugh at such an offer.

Tue Sep 19 4:11 pm  #14

Does any of this looks like CRTC would have enough of them and just approve it? 

Tue Sep 19 4:41 pm  #15

They might.

This is probably their most likely app yet. They really genuinely tried to like up to PROUD's mandate well beyond its first term.

On the other hand....like the rest of their apps, this one reads as very condescending. Not sure why they always take that approach.