sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2017 1:29 pm  #1

Some Familiar Names Aim For New Georgina & Grimsby Radio Licences

The CRTC has revealed it will hold a hearing in late November at the Yorkdale Holiday Inn on Dufferin St. to deal with a host of new issues. Among them – who, if anyone, deserves one of two new licences up for grabs in Ontario.

The first three combatants want 88.5 FM in Grimsby/Beamsville, all with various promises and plans.

Dufferin Communications, the owner of stations like the Jewel and Pride FM in the GTA, thinks it has just what the community wants with a Modern Easy Listening/Adult Contemporary music format.

Meanwhile Durham Radio, which has Oshawa's CKDO and 94.9 The Rock in its fold among others, believes Grimsby residents can’t live without a Classic Hits format. Byrne Comunications is convinced its outfit can do it better and wants the same oldies on the same frequency.

All are proposing a power of 2,999 watts, with an ERP of 4K.

Meanwhile, three companies think they can make a go of it in Georgina. One, predictably, is MY FM, which specializes in small town radio. Another is a well known name on this board, Frank Torres.

The former thinks it can turn an ERP of 2,900 watts at 93.7 into another one of its familiar Adult Contemporary / Gold stations, while the latter wants to go straight Classic Hits on that dial position – but with a substantial higher power of 26,000 watts.  

Then there’s Radio Markham York, which currently operates CFMS, the Region 105.9, that no one I’ve ever met has ever heard of or listened to. They think 94.5 would be perfect for an Adult Contemporary format, with a maximum ERP of 9,000 watts.

Who will win and who will lose? (Besides future listeners…) We’ll find out in November.

The Licence Applicant List

August 31, 2017 11:54 pm  #2

Re: Some Familiar Names Aim For New Georgina & Grimsby Radio Licences

Good luck to all applicants.
If they're serious, they should stream a trial run station on the internet to demonstrate a sampling of what they intend.
Especially Evanov group.
After the trouble  Z103 ran into, a streaming demo (complete with evidence of true local content) sure wouldn't hurt any...      

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 1, 2017 12:06 am  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

I can't wait for the ethnic sightings report on the new Georgina station.  I'm told it will be twice an hour at :20 and :40.

I'd guess a goldmine for real estate agency buys in the Courtice / Bowmanville area.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 1, 2017 12:59 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The first three combatants want 88.5 FM in Grimsby/Beamsville, all with various promises and plans.

I am just shattered...gutted in fact that the sage of Beamsville Fred C. Dobbs didn't live to see this day...

September 2, 2017 9:27 am  #5

CJIQ, an alternative rock station out of Conestoga College in Kitchener, operates on the 88.3 frquency. I don't know the strength of their signal but I really hope that a Grimsby/Beamsville station at 88.5 would NOT interfere with CJIQ. Musically as an alt rock station it is very good and one I enjoy listening to regularly.

July 6, 2018 10:38 pm  #6

Decisions on Grimsby and Georgina apparently to be released next week.... i'm all a titter.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm