sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2017 4:35 pm  #1

Cable/Sat. TV Code Starts Sept. 1 – But What’s With The Last One?

Did you know that the CRTC is introducing a mandatory “TV Service Provider Code” that starts at the beginning of September? If you didn’t, you’re not alone. Whether it will make much of a difference is another story, but here’s what the code mandates:

As of September 1, 2017, cable and satellite companies must provide:

-Clear information about promotional offers.

-Easy-to-understand information about their services, including the prices.

-Advance notice when the prices of channels, bundles or rental equipment change.

-A time frame and information on any potential charges for installation and service calls.

And then there’s this final point:

-A trial period for Canadians with disabilities.

Now, I have no problem with giving extra service to the disabled, because they certainly face enough challenges. Parking spots, accessible buildings, and special washroom stalls are all a good idea. But why would people with disabilities be allowed a trial period when the rest of us aren’t? Unless I'm somehow reading this wrong, what in the world does cable TV have to do with being disabled?

I mean good for them, but can anyone explain why they added that provision?

The Television Service Provider Code

August 29, 2017 5:36 pm  #2

Re: Cable/Sat. TV Code Starts Sept. 1 – But What’s With The Last One?

RadioActive wrote:

good for them, but can anyone explain why they added that provision?  

No idea but I intend to milk them for everything I can squeeze out of this

August 30, 2017 11:30 am  #3

One update to this thread: I just had an online chat with a rep from the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services. (I wonder how many Canadians even know they exist?) When I asked the rep there why the disabled were to be allowed trial periods but not other Canadians, her response was telling:

"That's certainly a very good question. This type of inquiry would be best suited for the CRTC as they are the regulatory body and they are the ones that put the code into effect. The CCTS does mediation for unresolved disputes between service providers and customers…"

So let me get this straight. You're employed to strictly enforce the code and resolve disputes that arise from it, but you can't tell me why you're doing what you're doing?

"We do enforce the code but we cannot explain to you why the CRTC decided to put that particular provision in the code."

And that, I would suggest to all those assembled here, speaks volumes about why the government tasked with regulating our industry works the way it does. Or more often, doesn't work the way it should.

Anyone have a buck they can pass?

August 30, 2017 1:01 pm  #4

These two mean nothing. "Clear" and "Easy" are relative terms that hold no water.

August 30, 2017 2:47 pm  #5

Better oversight is a necessity with these money grubbing corpse.
Shaw here just decided to add another dollar to everyone's cable bill effective August first but there was no advance notice, no reason given for the increase which even affects the so called limited skinny basic package which is supposed to top out at 25 dollars a month. 
The notice of the increase was a line of tiny print at the bottom of the monthly cable bill.

August 30, 2017 3:41 pm  #6

Don wrote:

These two mean nothing. "Clear" and "Easy" are relative terms that hold no water.

Advertising people used to call them "weasel words" - phrases or words that sound good and can mean anything, but are as tough to pin down as Jello on a bulletin board. 

August 30, 2017 4:08 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

phrases or words that sound good and can mean anything, but are as tough to pin down as Jello on a bulletin board. 

For related news, see "radio faces grim future" immediately below