sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2017 8:31 pm  #1

Bobby Taylor Leaves His Soul Behind

This might be more of a story out west, but I just noticed via an FYImusicnews.ca link to the Globe and Mail that Bobby Taylor passed away in late July. He was part of Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers (I'll let you figure out which part) and their biggest hit was "Does Your Mama Know About Me," co-written by Tommy Chong, who would go on to fame in a very different area with a partner named Cheech many years later.

But the Globe's story points out that it was Taylor who more than anyone else helped introduce and push the Jackson 5 on Motown legend Berry Gordy, who really didn't want them at first.

Even if you aren't familiar with his music, Taylor's story is an interesting one of an eventful life lived that helped shaped the course of popular music.

Vancouver-based singer Bobby Taylor brought the Jackson 5 to Motown

August 22, 2017 7:28 am  #2

Re: Bobby Taylor Leaves His Soul Behind

Thanks for the info RA...R.I.P.  Bobby.  I used to play your song on the radio and I have a copy of it right here in my home studio.

August 22, 2017 7:36 am  #3

Re: Bobby Taylor Leaves His Soul Behind

Does Your Mama Know About Me peaked at #32 on the CHUM Chart and #29 on the Hot 100 in May 1968. Bobby Taylor had one more minor charted hit in Jan 69. Malinda-#48 peak. Interesting story about his links to the Jackson 5. I liked the comparison to James Brown's dancing style.