sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2017 12:42 pm  #1

"Mac" MacKenzie passing

William "Mac" MacKenzie was the man who was most responsible for me getting in to radio. (Whether that was good or bad, it isn't up for debate here!)
He worked at CFOS in Owen Sound 'way back when I was much, much younger .. I always listened to his show.
Eventually I got to work there with some good folks ...Mac moved on  and when he retired some years back, he returned to his hometown of Oliphant, Ontario.
Mac passed away the other day ... a most sad day for me I have to say...I'd known him since the age of 12.
Mac was 91 when he passed, leaving behind his wife Carolyn, son Grey and daughter Regan as well as a long list of relatives. 
Mac was the founder of the Wiarton Willie Festival which is celelbrated every year in Wiarton, Ontario, which is just a few miles from Oliphant. 
If you ever knew Mac or worked with him, condolences can be sent to the family thru' 
www.georgefuneralhome.com
Thanks, 
Don Daynard. 

August 13, 2017 9:38 pm  #2

Re: "Mac" MacKenzie passing

I'm very sorry for your loss Don.  I lost an old friend a couple of weeks back; as well.  It's never easy.  However anytime I read the name Don Daynard; on this board.........it's a good day for me.

August 14, 2017 9:06 pm  #3

Re: "Mac" MacKenzie passing

I'm sure Mr. Daynard will appreciate this. A tribute/archived interview with MacKenzie on the Bayshore Broadcasting website, in which he talks about his career.

"What prompted you to go into radio, Mac?" asks the interviewer. His reply. "Sheer laziness!"

Mac MacKenzie Interview from 2010 

I lost one of my broadcasting mentors a few months ago. It's hard to see someone like that go. My condolences to all who knew him.