sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2017 4:49 pm  #1

RIP Glen Campbell

You didn't have to be a fan of Glen Campbell's music to understand his importance. In addition to all his chart hits and his TV show, he was one of the most sought after session guitar players on the planet and if he performed on your record, chances are good it was a hit.

The singer was suffering from Alzheimer's and had recently lost his last connection to the world - his ability to play.

Campbell was 81. 

Music Legend Glen Campbell Dies at 81

August 8, 2017 5:34 pm  #2

Re: RIP Glen Campbell

I got to see him at his last CNE gig a few years ago during his farewell tour.  Glad I did.  It was packed.

And even in his condition at the time, he still blew everyone away when he started picking.

This isn't unexpected.  We knew it would happen.  But it's still sad.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
          --Theodor Seuss Geisel

August 8, 2017 5:48 pm  #3

I saw him when I was just a kid around 1970 at the CNE Grandstand, after winning tickets from CKFH. I have to admit I don't remember a lot of it from back then, but my memory tells me he was great and played all his hits to that time. The anti-war "Galveston" will always be my favourite, another Jim Webb classic. 

August 9, 2017 8:05 am  #4

Wichita Lineman and Galveston were Campbell's first 2 top 10 pop hits peaking at  #3 and #4 in 1969. His only #1 pop hits were Rhinestone Cowboy in 1975 and Southern Nights in 1977.

August 9, 2017 8:36 am  #5

mace wrote:

Wichita Lineman and Galveston were Campbell's first 2 top 10 pop hits peaking at  #3 and #4 in 1969. His only #1 pop hits were Rhinestone Cowboy in 1975 and Southern Nights in 1977.

Surprisingly, he only had five top 10's - the four you mentioned plus "It's Only Make Believe" in 1970 (#10).

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 9, 2017 11:37 am  #6

Here's an obit and interview from today with Alice Cooper about Glen. Reminds me when I heard members of The Meat Puppets on the radio saying what a great guitar player he was:

Last edited by Fitz (August 9, 2017 11:38 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 9, 2017 12:36 pm  #7

It's a shame - an absolute shame - that Glen Campbell is not in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 9, 2017 12:40 pm  #8