sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2017 2:10 pm  #1

CBS Streaming Service Coming To Canada - But How Much Will We See?

For the first time. a major U.S. network will be crossing the border and allowing Canadian viewers to see what it has to offer online. And the fact that it's the number one network in North America brings it even more significance.

CBS All Access carries all of the Eye's over the air programming - including hits like The Big Bang Theory and Criminal Minds. But like competitor Netflix, it's also producing some high profile shows solely for online, with titles like the Toronto-shot "Star Trek: Discovery" and "The Good Fight," a sequel to the long running "The Good Wife."

But, also like Netflix, there are a lot of questions about what we'll actually be able to get here. Bell, Corus and Rogers own the rights to most of the CBS Network shows in Canada. They certainly would have something to say about who can show them online north of the border. The battle is slated to begin in the early part of 2018.

My prediction: if it only offers "Star Trek" (which has been bought by Bell, adding yet another wrinkle) and "The Good Fight," most viewers here won't think it's worth shelling out the money for just two shows, no matter how high profile and it will die a quick Target-like death in Canada. If, however, they actually give you access to the same shows the Americans can get, then it has a chance here. For now, the news that they're even bringing the American service to this country is a big breakthrough.

And you can bet the Big Three monopolies won't be happy about the competition.

CBS Streaming Is Coming To Canada, Potentially Upending Local Broadcasters

August 8, 2017 3:05 pm  #2

Re: CBS Streaming Service Coming To Canada - But How Much Will We See?

I guess the real question is are the big 3 more interested in TV or IP, and where does the future lie.  Odds are between bandwidth and comissions they may make a chunk more change from the online offering, without it really affecting the off-air viewership at all.

I'm pretty confident this is all gearing toward a full IP suite offered by the cable providers, one where they don't have to maintain set top boxes etc.  I don't believe any large screen tv's these days aren't 'smart' capable, and if there are any, their days are numbered. 

https://www.bell.ca/Fibe-Alt-TV

As they were with wireless TV and IPTV, Rogers is rushing play catch up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5EwnGUljoI

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 8, 2017 3:50 pm  #3

If programming keeps getting split off into individual apps like this, a reasonable collection of them are going to add up to an average cable bill.

August 8, 2017 4:08 pm  #4

ig wrote:

I'm pretty confident this is all gearing toward a full IP suite offered by the cable providers, one where they don't have to maintain set top boxes etc.  
ig. 

If you're right, also consider this perhaps predictable side-effect: if the CRTC refuses to force Netflix to contribute or produce Canadian content on this side of the border, then couldn't Bell or Rogers theoretically convert everything to online and simply tell the Commission what's good for the goose is good for the gander and refuse to show or produce any more CanCon?

I wonder if they'd dare try to make that argument should things eventually go that way. 

August 8, 2017 5:54 pm  #5

One needs to look no further than our own mothercorp.  The CBC has been offering almost all it's programming over IP for a while now.  You can watch X Company or Kim's Variety in 1080p on demand.  (www.cbc.ca/player)  Yesterday afternoon we watched the evening events of the Track and Field championships in London live on our big screen in crisp 720p virtually glitch free.  This is all through their app that supports chromecast.   And it's free.  It only costs you whatever bandwidth you're using up.  If you're on an unlimited plan, you're golden.

If CBS does it right, they may have a winner.  The question is how will this affect Canadian broadcasters who have paid for the rights to CBS programming?

August 8, 2017 6:37 pm  #6

and now Disney is pulling out of Netflix to start THEIR own service too.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/disney-espn-streaming-netflix-1.4239430