sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2017 9:45 am  #1

Longest Ever Sports Broadcaster Dies At 96, After 77 Years On Air

Not sure how many here remember Bob Wolff, but he was on air longer than most of us have been alive. The man recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest serving sportscaster in the history of broadcasting was 96 and as recently as this year, was still working.

You may not know the name but he’s been associated with some of the most famous moments in sports, including being behind the mic during Don Larsen’s World Series perfect game – the only time that feat has ever been done. During his lifetime, he interviewed everyone from Babe Ruth to Ty Cobb, and is the only broadcaster to call championship games in all four of the major sports in the U.S.

I love the story of how he got into the biz as recounted in the New York Post obit.

=======

“..It was a broken ankle that helped give birth to his broadcasting career when Wolff, a freshman baseball player at Duke, was injured during a base-running drill. The members of the local CBS radio crew, which broadcast the Blue Devils’ games, asked Wolff to sit in during the team’s games that season, liked what he had to say, and asked him to come aboard permanently.

Enjoying his new profession but torn by his love of playing baseball, Wolff asked Duke coach Jack Coombs for advice.

“I’ve never seen an arm or leg outlast a voice,” Coombs said. “If you want the big leagues start talking.”

“The best advice I ever got,” Wolff said.”

======== 

77 years in radio and TV. I wonder if he got hazard pay.

Longtime sports broadcasting great Bob Wolff dead at 96

Video career highlights