sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Wed Jun 7 5:29 pm  #1


CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Just one day after Rogers announced it was expanding its CityNews brand at its stations across the country, CTV has attempted to trump them by adding local 5 and 5:30 PM newscasts nationwide. It's not exactly a new show in Toronto, though. It's a simulcast of CP24's existing shows in that slot. The cable net will then continue to pick up CTV News at 6. It starts this summer. 

Oddly, one of the places this story appeared online was at Rogers'  680 News.com - perhaps the last place you'd expect to see what is essentially a Bell promo announcement.  

 

Wed Jun 7 5:53 pm  #2


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

RadioActive wrote:

Oddly, one of the places this story appeared online was at Rogers'  680 News.com - perhaps the last place you'd expect to see what is essentially a Bell promo announcement.  

Nothing odd about it.
680 news did not have any say. This was a Canadian press posting on their website.
When you choose to use outside sources, you're stuck with the end result.
If Rogers splurged and hired their own news content instead of using Canadian press this never would have happened.
 

Last edited by Radiowiz (Wed Jun 7 5:55 pm)

 

Wed Jun 7 6:00 pm  #3


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Having run a news website in the past, I know it's up to the editors and content creators what goes up and what doesn't. They certainly could have chosen not to post it.  

     Thread Starter
 

Wed Jun 7 6:18 pm  #4


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Oddly, one of the places this story appeared online was at Rogers'  680 News.com - perhaps the last place you'd expect to see what is essentially a Bell promo announcement.  

Nothing odd about it.
680 news did not have any say. This was a Canadian press posting on their website.
When you choose to use outside sources, you're stuck with the end result.
If Rogers splurged and hired their own news content instead of using Canadian press this never would have happened.
 

That's not how that works.

 

Wed Jun 7 6:29 pm  #5


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Don wrote:

That's not how that works.

Yeah, well...it just DID work. 
 

 

Wed Jun 7 6:32 pm  #6


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

You're assuming a human actually controls the website and it isn't automatically populated by the CP data feed.

 

Wed Jun 7 6:55 pm  #7


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Radiowiz wrote:

Don wrote:

That's not how that works.

Yeah, well...it just DID work. 
 

They either chose to push the post through, or chose not to delete it. Either way, they control it.

Last edited by Don (Wed Jun 7 6:55 pm)

 

Wed Jun 7 7:22 pm  #8


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Don is correct. I ran a Toronto broadcast news website for over a decade so I can speak with some authority about what goes on behind the scenes. Yes, some aspects could be automated in some cases (like weather stats, the current temperature, sports scores, etc.) But considering the amount of material CP puts out daily, autoposting would be fraught with peril. In every instance I know, there is someone (generally a producer or a content coordinator) at a computer somewhere who hits "publish" on their CMS to put it on the web. 

The fact 680 leverages a lot of CityNews's content makes sense. But I didn't see the CTV story there and I'm willing to bet any money you won't ever see any yarn appear promoting Bell's network programming on the City site. It seems someone wasn't thinking when it went up (or maybe they thought it was OK because Rogers gets a mention in it) but it would not surprise me to see it removed altogether at some point.

     Thread Starter
 

Wed Jun 7 9:59 pm  #9


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

Sounds like a multi task oversight then. Someone perhaps quickly scanned through, saw mention of Rogers and hit publish...then wandered off to their other duties @ Rogers.
(yes, this is a guess...)

 

Thu Jun 8 4:24 pm  #10


Re: CTV Toronto Launching 5 & 5:30 PM Newscasts - Sort Of

CTV Vancouver has had a full hour newscast at 5pm for many years now and a full hour again at 6pm.