sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2017 7:55 pm  #1

Analog TV users will soon see fewer stations

"Analog TV users will soon see fewer stations."

That's the headline in a Canadian Press story about the repack and the effect it will have on OTA viewers in smaller cities in this country. Frankly, I have to admit I wasn't aware there were many analog signals left in Canada, and I suspect most people who rely on antennas have long since purchased an HD receiver. (It's almost impossible to find one of the old analog TVs in any store now, so those users must be holding onto yesterday, as Ambrosia sang in 1975.)

Still, it appears someone's rabbit ears will be bent out of shape by the news. 

"Wayne Rabishaw, director of operations for CHCH-TV based in Hamilton, Ont., said the station is still evaluating the cost for converting some of its analog transmitters that serve places such as Sault St. Marie and Sudbury.

He said their London, Ont., transmitter was converted to digital in 2011, but will have to move again because it’s in the frequency the government wants for wireless.

The last thing we want is for people who are counting on us to lose the signal, but it’s not a cash-rich environment right now for Canadian broadcasters,” said Rabishaw."

I really have to wonder how many people will be affected by this shutdown and if the major broadcasters involved will use it as an excuse to turn off something they haven't wanted to keep lit for a very long time. No surprise, they're asking the government for taxpayer money to keep these transmitters going.

I think the article overstates how serious this may be taken. But it's still worth a read.

Analog TV users will soon see fewer stations