sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2017 9:29 pm  #1

Lou Reed Song Sparks Political Correctness Gone Mad In Guelph

I'm not a fan of political correctness, especially when it's taken to the extreme. Which it now seems to be with almost every topic you can name. The latest example is close to home, where someone had the temerity to play Lou Reed's classic 1972 hit "Walk On The Wild Side" during a University of Guelph event. Soon after, the student union offered a major apology, because the song supposedly insults transgender people.

The eye rolling story is here. 

University student union takes a walk on the ‘controversial’ side over Lou Reed song

Folks, we are censoring ourselves into silence and pretty soon we won't be able to say anything at all. 

Note: if this post offends anyone, let me offer my heartfelt apology for trying to say I'm sorry about an apology which I haven't offered, without being contrite enough to satisfy the sorriest bunch extent.

May 22, 2017 10:03 pm  #2

Re: Lou Reed Song Sparks Political Correctness Gone Mad In Guelph

Almost 10 years ago, I got into a kerfuffle for implementing an e-mail gateway for my then employer which employed blacklists and whitelists to filter e-mail.

You can probably already guess what the fuss was about.

Yes, I used the term blacklist to describe the list for "bad" e-mail addresses.

And it was a complaint from one white person who didn't even work for the company but was a friend of the President of the organization and was a member of popular Canadian rock band (which I will never listen to again if I can help it) so obviously he spoke from the lofty heights of celebrity.

As a result, and under extreme protest, I had to change all the documentation and internal terminology used in the gateway to use "good" and "bad" list for e-mail addresses.  Just a lot of wasted money.

Which is why I love to see the looks on some people's faces when I refer to left-leaning people as sinister.  

May 22, 2017 11:00 pm  #3

What a load of horseshit...

I've got my "Make America  Great Again" Donald Trump 2016 campaign baseball hat and I wear it around town every chance I get...when I go the gym...or when I go shopping...

I say..."let 'em look"....

N.B. I NEVER wear it when the wife is around...she'd kill me....

May 22, 2017 11:11 pm  #4

Lou Reed being accused of transgender phobia is like saying Bob Geldof loves famine. Clearly someone had no clue.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 23, 2017 9:30 am  #5

Since this happened in Guelph, the home of all-oldies CJOY, it seems obvious the sensitivities of those on campus must be respected. Accordingly, although students certainly won't be listening to an AM oldies station, the following classics must be immediately banned from their airwaves, at the risk of offending their delicate ears.

Black and White - Three Dog Night
While ostensibly about racial issues, it makes no mention of Aboriginals or Asians. Thus it must be pulled off the air.

I Am Woman – Helen Reddy
Sure it was a liberation anthem, but it clearly discriminates against men. It should not be played.

Hair – The Cowsills
This may make people who are bald uncomfortable. Off with its head!

Sugar Sugar – The Archies
Clearly makes those with diabetes feel singled out. It’s banned.

Classical Gas – Mason Williams
An instrumental with no lyrics, but gas is a polluter and this song must be taken off all playlists. If it IS played, it must be subjected to the carbon tax.

When A Man Loves A Woman – Percy Sledge
This is certainly offensive to same sex couples by drawing the conclusion that a man loves a woman. It’s off the air.

In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
It derides certain neighbourhoods and smacks of discrimination. We can’t allow that.  

I Want To Hold Your Hand – Beatles
I’ll Get You - Beatles
Clearly leads to stalking behaviour and harassment. Both must be withdrawn.

Stop! In The Name of Love – Supremes
Sounds too much like something the police might say. As a result, not only is the song immediately banned, but the Supremes are not allowed to march in this year’s Toronto Pride parade.

May 23, 2017 9:42 am  #6

or John Lennon in "Give Peace A Chance" was actually advocating for war.. That's how ludicrous the transgender phobia against Lou Reed is.

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 23, 2017 10:08 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

this happened in Guelph, the home of all-oldies CJOY . . . although students certainly won't be listening to an AM oldies station  

Which re-raises the perennial question, who on earth DOES listen to C-JOY?

May 23, 2017 11:26 am  #8

What?  No mention of the "colored girls" reference in the song? Someone is asleep at the switch, and I'm triggered.

May 23, 2017 3:11 pm  #9

Big Doug wrote:

No mention of the "colored girls"?

Does Don Imus know  about this??

May 23, 2017 3:37 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not a fan of political correctness, especially when it's taken to the extreme. Which it now seems to be with almost every topic you can name. The latest example is close to home, where someone had the temerity to play Lou Reed's classic 1972 hit "Walk On The Wild Side" during a University of Guelph event. Soon after, the student union offered a major apology, because the song supposedly insults transgender people.

The eye rolling story is here. 

University student union takes a walk on the ‘controversial’ side over Lou Reed song

Folks, we are censoring ourselves into silence and pretty soon we won't be able to say anything at all. 

Note: if this post offends anyone, let me offer my heartfelt apology for trying to say I'm sorry about an apology which I haven't offered, without being contrite enough to satisfy the sorriest bunch extent.

Actually, I was surprised "Walk on the Wild Side" got the AM airplay it did in 1973. The lyrics were risque for the time for AM radio (thought not a problem for progressive rock FM stations of the era). But the times they were a 'changin' by '73 and "Walk on The Wild Side" was representative of that change.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 23, 2017 4:43 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

The old dudes on this site.

Old Codger is in Guelph now?

May 23, 2017 5:01 pm  #12

Here's a different scenario:

Just when it seemed like the response to National Hockey League star Ryan Getzlaf’s use of a homophobic and sexist slur couldn’t get any more disappointing... it just got more disappointing.Getzlaf, who is the captain of the Anaheim Ducks, was fined $10,000 after calling a referee a “c**ksucker” during Game 4 of the Western Conference finals on Friday.Many believe he got off too easily, considering the fine is just a drop in the bucket of his yearly $9 million salary and that another player, Andrew Shaw, was suspended by the NHL and sent to sensitivity training last year when he called an official an anti-gay slur.Even worse, Getzlaf offered what has been called “the worst non-apology for a slur in sports history,” saying:
“There were obviously some words said, not necessarily directed at anyone in particular, it was just kind of a comment. I’ve got to be a little more responsible with the words I choose. As a father, as somebody who takes a lot of pride in this game, it’s tough to see somebody refer to it as what TSN did. I didn’t mean it in that manner in any way, and for that to go that route was very disappointing for me. I accepted responsibility and I accepted it fine. We talked to the league and I understand it’s my responsibility to not use vulgar language, period, whether it’s a swear word or what it is.”
Now, one fan is attempting to reward Getzlaf for his indefensible comment by raising money in his honor.Jason Lamb of Chino Hills, California, launched a GoFundMe campaign earlier this week to “send a message” to the “sinister NHL” that “no more will this kind of snowflake over reaction to words stand.”Lamb claims that Getzlaf was “unfairly given the maximum fine... for accurately calling a ref a rooster vacuum.” He hopes to raise $10,000 to give to Getzlaf to donate to a charity of his choice or states that he will donate the money himself to a local Orange County charity if Getzlaf doesn’t want to be involved with the campaign.As of Tuesday afternoon, only $280 had been pledged.“I ask all ducks fans and all [NHL Commissioner] Bettman haters to unite and undue this terrible injustice! Ducks fly together!” Lamb wrote. Raising money for good causes? Awesome. Doing it because you think Getzlaf was the victim of some kind of injustice for (barely) being punished for his homophobic remark? Please.

Last edited by Fitz (May 23, 2017 5:01 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 23, 2017 5:45 pm  #13

grilled.cheese wrote:

The old dudes on this site.

Not I.  Not in Guelph either geo.  Oldies radio is NOT done properly and I will not listen.  Oldies radio typically has a shelf-life of...oh...about 4 minutes.

Surfin USA?  What about the rest of the world?
Oh Canada?  What?  Nowhere else counts?
God Save the Queen?  Come on!!!  Really!!!????!!!!  Men don't matter?
The Lord's Prayer?  Sister Janet Mead sucks.  And what about Budda?
Onward Christian Soldiers?  No wonder Isis is pissed.

Political 'correctitude' is totally dickish.  To the extreme.  Imagine...that Trump arsewipist actually got 1 thing right.  So much for playing It's Impossible...Perry Como.  It IS possible.  [somehow]

Talk about taking a walk on the WILD side.

May 23, 2017 8:34 pm  #14

May 23, 2017 8:41 pm  #15

I love the sound of shattered dentures as they tumble down the slippery slope. Sounds like...Jerry will lose a few more listeners this week. Again.

May 23, 2017 9:57 pm  #16

How about the big to-do that arose just a few years ago over Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" or the many ruffled feathers when Randy Newman's "Short People" was a big hit? There always has been and always will be people who don't "get" the point of such works whose purpose was to point out the absurdities of prejudice as did "All In the Family" during its TV heyday.
By the way, has anyone noticed how it often the WASP community raising the furor more often than the target group?