sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2017 2:22 pm  #1

Goodbye Dummy. Don Rickles Gone At 90

The insult comic, whose famous album "Hello Dummy" was a part of my childhood, has passed away at age 90. He's one of the few who could insult stars like Frank Sinatra and get away with it. A total original who never used a script or prepared anything on stage, he was best known to a modern generation as the voice of Mr. Potato Head in the Toy Story movie.

His eulogy should be something to hear.  

Don Rickles, Legendary Insult Comic, Dies at 90

April 6, 2017 4:06 pm  #2

Re: Goodbye Dummy. Don Rickles Gone At 90

CJAD's Comedy Show (simulcast on CFRB at 11 PM) will do a special on his passing Thursday night. 

April 6, 2017 5:48 pm  #3

Very sad. My wife and I have a champagne bottle he gave us from our honeymoon in 1983 when we saw him in Vegas. I was one of two people from the audience he picked to join him on stage for a skit (my 15 minutes of fame). Here's the thing that amazed me: We lived in Ottawa at the time and there is no way he could have known that when he called me up from the audience. When I replied to the old "where are you from and what do you do" bit, he immediately went into a joke about the CFL having two teams with the same nickname. I remember telling that to a friend of mine who had done some amateur standup. He told me the great ones had a ready answer for any place, and if I had said "Omaha," he would have had a joke at the tip of his tongue about that city.

April 6, 2017 7:19 pm  #4

He was so funny...he lived a long good life...I love this clip of him with Frank Sinatra on the Tonight Show...with Johnny Carson...

A true throwback...I miss this kind of comedy in a "politically correct" world..;.I think if we can laugh at ourselves instead of taking everything so seriously, we'd have a different world...

Enjoy the clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_V9RT8aR8

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (April 6, 2017 7:20 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 7, 2017 3:02 pm  #5

John Cleese; of Monty Python fame; on the subject of Political Correctness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukisoucFIk4