sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2017 11:02 am  #1

Why It's Increasingly More Difficult To Watch CityNews

O.K., I admit it – I just don’t get what they’re trying to do at CityNews. The show, apparently in an attempt at being innovative, has gone down roads that increasingly make no sense to me.

It’s been obvious for a while that they’re working towards an anchor-less newscast. Many of them begin with a reporter standing outside the scene of some story, introducing themselves – “I’m Joe Schlabotnik outside the TD Bank branch where a man tried to enter the vault with his girlfriend in order to have ‘safe’ sex.” The next story, often completely unrelated, does the same thing.

In some cases you don’t see the nominal anchor (often Roger Petersen or Francis D’Souza – in fact I’m not entirely sure who anchors the 6 anymore) until midway through the show. I once timed it on the weekend and we didn’t see anchor Pam Seatle until eight minutes into the thing. Why bother having a front-personality at all if you’re just going to hide them away like that?

I strongly suspect it’s one of the reasons Gord Martineau left. He saw the writing on the wall and knew his role was being endlessly diminished with less screen time every day. Better to go out on your own terms than be told we’re not using you anymore and we can’t justify the salary.

But that’s not the only new thing that’s going on. Another strange change is stories where not a word is spoken by anyone – anchor or reporter. I saw one the other day on flooding in Peru. Instead of copy, they had some kind of bizarre pop-up video arrangement running while the viz aired, and a fact would be chyroned at the top of the screen, another at the bottom, a one sentence explanation of what the story was supposed to be about, and then it simply ended, before they moved on to another tale - with full copy! WTF?

My problem with this is that during the time the news is on, I’m very often not watching it in the literal sense. I’m doing stuff in the kitchen, taking care of family issues, feeding the dog or trying to finish something off before dinner. I’m more listening and glancing at the screen when something important comes on, than sitting there embroiled in every frame of video. A text-only story does me no good and frankly irritates me. That's a very busy time in many households and I suspect I'm not alone. 

I’ve commented before on their ongoing endless “sidebars” ("there’s more to this story…”) which run throughout the newscast, essentially rehashing what I’ve already seen, while adding a minor new angle that’s not particularly illuminating – and could easily have been incorporated into the original story. It makes it seem like a non-stop repeat of stories that have already aired. And it's not just me. I once had an out-of-town visitor watch the show and she asked me, "Didn't we just see that? Why are they doing it again?"

Perhaps I’m just old fashioned, but there’s a reason news shows have always had an anchor and relied on the spoken word. Maybe it’s all those ingrained format lessons I learned in 40 years worth of TV newsrooms that I can’t shake. I’m not a huge fan of CTV News, but I find myself gravitating to it more often, since I can’t follow what City is doing anymore.

Like baseball purists, I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to news presentation. But endlessly trying to put the “new” in news is leaving me feeling uninformed and baffled – the exact opposite of what a news show is supposed to do. 

March 21, 2017 11:43 am  #2

Re: Why It's Increasingly More Difficult To Watch CityNews

While I get the logic of trying something DIFFERENT, I think the latest round of change is maybe losing focus.

I miss the days of CityNews moving around the newsroom, using the Anchor to connect to the stories/reporters around the newsroom.  It looked smooth, professional, but had a modern feel and credibility. 

I find now, because of how much the newsroom has been cut, they are trying do stand out with half the staff.   I give them credit for not throwing everyone behind a desk and trying to be Global or CTV or CBC.  If I wanted the old fashioned approach, I would watch Global or CTV or CBC.  There is too much of that in Canada.   Credibility/info has to be there to do different things on the air.  Sadly, that's the issue now.   The Credibility has been cut by the loss of some key people and not the right people put in places they need to be.   City can still do news... but they need to bring the credibility back to the centre again, vs just trying to be different.   

March 21, 2017 8:54 pm  #3

They did something totally insane again on Tuesday's 6PM show that I caught while flipping channels.

There was a wordless, pop-up video-type captioning over Raptors viz, interspersed with clips from the players, and then more chyrons. This went on for more than a minute - and then they came out of it by going live to Danielle Michaud, their sports anchor, who did a tag to this so-called "story"! Well if she was standing by somewhere live and talking about the piece they just ran, why not have her voice the thing? 

Stranger and stranger. 

I'd love it if someone from City could explain this bizarre new approach to their news, which not only doesn't work very well, it looks ridiculous. 

March 21, 2017 9:18 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

in fact I’m not entirely sure who anchors the 6 anymore

It's CityNews at both 5 and 6pm now. (Thankfully "The 5" was switched back to CityNews a while ago.)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2017 9:22 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

They did something totally insane again on Tuesday's 6PM show that I caught while flipping channels.

There was a wordless, pop-up video-type captioning over Raptors viz, interspersed with clips from the players, and then more chyrons. This went on for more than a minute - and then they came out of it by going live to Danielle Michaud, their sports anchor, who did a tag to this so-called "story"! Well if she was standing by somewhere live and talking about the piece they just ran, why not have her voice the thing? 

Stranger and stranger. 

I'd love it if someone from City could explain this bizarre new approach to their news, which not only doesn't work very well, it looks ridiculous. 

There were a few text screen stories. I just figured Vice was doing a special story until they went to Sports...very odd. 
The one where they (Vice?) went to a very poor country looks like they went in quickly, filmed everything and then worried about text later. 
This I understand because maybe it was too dangerous where they were to be standing around reporting stuff...heck maybe a drone did the filming???

But back to sports, I hope text is not a regular thing...it scared me for a second-I thought they let the sports person go!!! (then I saw Danielle with a sigh of relief...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 21, 2017 9:24 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 22, 2017 1:29 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I strongly suspect it’s one of the reasons Gord Martineau left. He saw the writing on the wall and knew his role was being endlessly diminished with less screen time every day. Better to go out on your own terms than be told we’re not using you anymore and we can’t justify the salary.

Martineau was on TVO's The Agenda last week and said he "was asked to leave" and that "relations between me and Rogers are rather frosty, shall we say."

You can pick up the pertinent portion around the 17-minute mark.
http://tvo.org/video/programs/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin/lifetimes-in-journalism

Good segment with Tom Clark, John Cruickshank, Gord Martineau and Jane Taber discussing their careers..

Last edited by Justalistener (March 22, 2017 1:30 am)

March 22, 2017 8:22 am  #7

Justalistener wrote:

http://tvo.org/video/programs/the-agenda-with-steve-paikin/lifetimes-in-journalism

Good segment with Tom Clark, John Cruickshank, Gord Martineau and Jane Taber discussing their careers 

If TVO loses its funding where will we go for classy programming like this?

March 22, 2017 8:43 am  #8

Thanks to Justalistener for posting the TVO link... I thoroughly enjoyed the very realistic insights of all participants on the panel. It also explains why Gord Martineau abruptly left the air on City. 

Last edited by zed (March 22, 2017 8:43 am)

March 22, 2017 10:23 am  #9

zed wrote:

It also explains why Gord Martineau abruptly left the air on City. 

We may hear more yet. He alludes at the end of the discussion that there may be legal action in the works.