sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2017 10:42 am  #1

RIP Ritchie Yorke

Many here will remember the name Ritchie Yorke, a music journalist who served as the Canadian correspondent for Billboard for many years. He was a tireless advocate for CanCon, and was one of those who championed Canadian content rules on radio. Despite that (or maybe because of it) he was considered a giant in the industry for many years and was a close friend of John Lennon, Van Morrison and the members of Led Zeppelin.  

He passed away in Australia at 73. 

FYIMusicNews has a look back at his amazing career. 

February 7, 2017 2:12 pm  #2

Re: RIP Ritchie Yorke

I was Ritchie's Friend From the days of FM-108 in Burlington. I was his intern when this was a new term back in 81. He was also at Q107 at the start at as well as CHUM CFNY and some Radio in Brisbane. He was very strong in his thoughts of Canadian Music and Cancon which looking back was not a bad thing. He had lots of stories about The Beatles and Zeppelin but it was always a chore to get him to tell them. My son spend 5 months in Brisbane helping with his collecton. That's where the Canadian Rock History Collection is located so it seems. RIP my old Friend you will be missed.

February 7, 2017 6:15 pm  #3

I used to read Ritchie habitually and with a passion.  I respected him.  Sorry to his friends for your loss/our loss.

February 7, 2017 8:40 pm  #4

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7685004/ritchie-yorke-music-author-and-journalist-dead-at-73

Billboard Story

Last edited by Terry Hill (February 7, 2017 8:41 pm)