sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2017 12:03 pm  #1

Russ Thompson

Russ Thompson, a mainstay in Toronto radio for decades, has passed away at the age of 82.

:The following is from the CBC's Facebook group:

Russ Thompson 
Former CBC Toronto Radio Announcer
August 18, 1934 – January 16, 2017

After 82 wonderful years, Russ passed away peacefully from cancer at Southlake Regional Health Centre surrounded by family. He was the beloved husband of Joan for 63 years, father of Dan (Julie) and grandfather of Kaitlin and Megan.

Born in Montreal, Russ was the son of Dan Wegeruk and Viera Koleka, immigrants fleeing the Russian revolution. Russ had incredible drive that translated into a successful career as a radio and TV spokesman. Self-taught in many ways, he became a prominent afternoon drive time radio announcer for over 40 years in Toronto. Russ worked for CKEY, CBC Radio, Standard Broadcast (CKFM) and finished his career at Easy 97 in 1992. Throughout his distinguished career, Russ was also a TV spokesman and represented some of the Canada's most prestigious brands including GM, Timex, CN/CP, Belvedere and Proctor and Gamble.

In 1997, Russ and Joan moved from their long-time home in Don Mills to a country estate near Schomberg to be closer to Dan and his family. Russ had always wanted to live in the country and enjoyed driving his tractor and tending his gardens for 17 years. Most recently, he and Joan moved to Aurora but he always missed his country estate. An avid gardener and sports enthusiast, Russ was a dedicated husband, father and grandfather who loved nothing more than spending time with his family (especially his granddaughters!) and caring for his roses.

His family would like to extend special thanks to Dr. Tom Leventis, The York Region CCAC Palliative Care team and his doctors and nurses at Southlake Regional Health Centre.

Guestbook: http://tinyurl.com/zu88uqv

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 23, 2017 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Russ Thompson

The definition of smooth.  Such a nice guy.  When we were recording if he let a 'shit' fly accidentally between takes, he'd ask for the tape to be taken back and recorded over.  RIP.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 24, 2017 5:08 pm  #3

I worked with Russ; in the late 80's at CKFM.  What a voice!

January 24, 2017 8:51 pm  #4

I worked with Russ during his first period at CKFM, late 60's early 70's.  He was a perfectionist - and a really pleasant person to work with.  Of course he didn't require multiple "takes" when he recorded spots.  I remember he did so much voice work in those days, he had a phobia about picking up a cold or infection from the studio phone.  He had something that looked like baby booties that he attached to the phone mouthpiece and earpiece and I seem to recall he had some sort of antiseptic spray.  Seemed to work for him.   He avoided colds and flu.  I don't think I ever saw anyone carry an anti-germ kit of that sort since then.   I think he left CKFM and perhaps succeeded Elwood Glover at CBC.  His birth name was "Boris Wegeruk".

January 25, 2017 9:11 am  #5

Russ Thompson and Carl Banas back-to-back on CKFM for all those years. Two wonderful voices on a very classy station.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 26, 2017 9:38 pm  #6

I worked with Russ at CJEZ. He always seemed to be in a good mood and smiling. And of course, he had great pipes!! He was a joy to work with.

Last edited by alangee (January 26, 2017 9:39 pm)