sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2024 1:25 pm  #1

Toronto TV Listings 1963

It's January 31st, 1963 and John F. Kennedy is still very much alive and still very much the President of the United States. The rumblings of Beatlemania are about to lap up against North American shores but they're far from being household names just yet. And you're just home from school after it let out around 3:30 PM, turning on the TV and watching - what? 

The following listings should fill in some blanks. They come from a Toronto Star section I stumbled upon in an old drawer that I'd long forgotten about. And yes, Jungle Jay was still on TV in Buffalo, just before crossing the border to become a sensation on CHUM. And Misterogers was on the CBC, having not left Canada yet for fame on what would become PBS down south. He was on right before the Friendly Giant. 

One other thing about this excerpt. You'll notice the stations at the top of the page are very extensive. Along with WGR from Buffalo, there's also WJBK and CJIC from Sault Ste. Marie on the same channel. WBEN is there, but so is WWJ from Detroit and CBOT in Ottawa. CBLT is accompanied by a shadow, CFCL from Timmins, both on Channel 6.

So what's the reason for so many varied stations on the same frequency? I believe it was because at the time, the Toronto Star wasn't just a local newspaper, but was sold in many different places, including Windsor and up north. So the stations viewers could get there were included as a courtesy to their sometimes far flung readers.

Back in the day when there was no Internet, no streaming, no VCRs and no DVDs, what would you have been watching in this line-up ?

(See also: The Toronto Radio Dial 1963)

May 2, 2024 1:55 pm  #2

Re: Toronto TV Listings 1963

Check out the primetime ad listings for two of Toronto's biggest stations. (In fact, they were the only Toronto TV stations at the time!)

Worth noting: That drawing of the host for "On The Scene" on CBC is none other than radio legend Al Boliska.

May 3, 2024 8:55 am  #3

Interesting that ch 7 in Watertown is listed but ch 8, 10 and 13 from Rochester are missing. And why would the Star not publish the channels in order? I suppose if you wanted a professional looking guide, you would have to shell out .15 at the grocery store.

May 3, 2024 4:42 pm  #4

Thanks for sharing these RadioActive. It brings back memories of my sister commanding me to get up off the couch and turn the dial for her.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

May 3, 2024 5:59 pm  #5

I used to watch "Highway Patrol" after school, om the days we weren't playing road hockey.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram