sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2024 8:06 pm  #1

You're on TV guys, not radio.

The incessant non play-by-play commentary by Martinez and Schulman is over the top.  The constant back and forth conversations that don't add to the game is annoying and unnecessary.  Give it a rest Buck.  

April 26, 2024 11:57 pm  #2

Re: You're on TV guys, not radio.

It was a blowout. No one was watching after the 4th inning. 

April 27, 2024 3:08 pm  #3

Too much talking or how about none.  Watching the Mutua Madrid Open Tennis earlier this afternoon on TSN 2 with no commentary or play by play.  The match between Felix Auger-Aliassime and Adrian Mannarino had just the sounds of the stadium, crowd noise, players smashing the tennis ball and graphics with the player names and score.  Interesting to a point, but kind of boring.  Especially with the match one sided. 

April 27, 2024 5:45 pm  #4

Every televised game is on in our house.  Buck and Schulman get on my nerves.  It wouldn't hurt them to stop yapping for a few seconds once in a while.  My wife likes their banter, but she's a much bigger fan than I am.  Over all, I'd say they're pretty good at what they do.  Now, if Vlad would just quit yukking it up with every opponent that reaches first base, and stop flailing at every low and outside 3rd-strike pitch, it might be more enjoyable.

April 29, 2024 7:57 am  #5

I find them entertaining and informative, being that I have only been following baseball for about 6-7 years. They often provide some history/background of the game that I am not aware of.

April 29, 2024 8:46 am  #6

Shorty Wave wrote:

I find them entertaining and informative

What S. Wave said goes for me, too

April 29, 2024 10:31 am  #7

Once you get used to Bucks drawl, I enjoy the banter between him and Dan.  They keep it light, a bit of humour and Buck is excellent dissecting plays.  He knows all aspects of baseball.  I think they talk about the right amount, and have noticed that they will go 8 or 9 seconds into the game with no chit chat and let the sound of the stadium take over.  I think overall Sportsnet does a great job on the coverage, excellent camera shots and audio. 

The on air crew with Jamie Campbell, Joe Sidall, Hazel Mae and others along with Dan and Buck are all fine and work well together in my opinion.  Looking forward to catch a few games this summer in person. 

May 1, 2024 6:35 am  #8

Turns out they're not on TV at all - at least until next week. Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez have been given the week off, and will return for the Washington Nationals road series. His son, Ben, will replace him, alongside analyst Joe Siddall.

Blue Jays broadcast shuffle temporary as Buck Martinez and Dan Shulman get break

So who's on the radio? I still haven't quite been able to catch the name of Ben's temporary replacement. Anyone know who he is and what his experience is?

May 1, 2024 9:52 am  #9

Dicky Doo wrote:

Shorty Wave wrote:

I find them entertaining and informative

What S. Wave said goes for me, too

Thanks Dicky Doo!

May 1, 2024 7:58 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Turns out they're not on TV at all - at least until next week. Dan Shulman and Buck Martinez have been given the week off, and will return for the Washington Nationals road series. His son, Ben, will replace him, alongside analyst Joe Siddall.

Blue Jays broadcast shuffle temporary as Buck Martinez and Dan Shulman get break

So who's on the radio? I still haven't quite been able to catch the name of Ben's temporary replacement. Anyone know who he is and what his experience is?

I can now answer my own question. It's Eric Smith, who normally calls the Raptors games. He appears to be the new fill-in for when Ben Shulman is unavailable.