sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2024 11:06 am  #1

Bell Launches 10 New FAST Channels - But Can You Get Them?

FAST stands for Free Ad Supported Streaming Television, and it's the latest big thing, like Pluto and Tubitv. Now Bell has joined the free-for-all, although this may not quite be free for all. At least not yet.

The stations will be available on LG and Samsung TVs, but it's not clear if you'll be able to access them using other means, like your phone or laptop. 

Here's the list:

-----------------

CTV @Home: A variety of CTV's best lifestyle programming that spans from feel-good to feed-good! Enjoy classic episodes of The Marilyn Denis Show, Mary's Kitchen Crush, Country House Hunters Canada, and more.

Corner Gas Channel: Return to Dog River, Saskatchewan with all episodes from one of Canada's highest-rated comedy series of all-time, as well as its spin-off, Corner Gas Animated.

CTV Gridlock: A traffic jam worth being stuck in! Enjoy classic episodes of Highway Thru Hell and the entire series of Heavy Rescue: 401.

CTV Laughs: Laugh out loud with this collection of funny, featuring side-splitting sitcoms, roast battles and stand-up.

The Mightiest by CTV: Mega machines take on mighty missions with the most innovative stories from Mighty Trains, Mighty Cruise Ships, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes, and The Mightiest.

CTV News: Features the best from Canada's most-watched news organization including CTV National and CTV Local News, Power Play, Question Period and W5.

TSN The Ocho: Home to the best of seldom-seen sports, TSN The Ocho features unusual and entertaining sports and competitions including kickball, table tennis, ultimate frisbee, slippery stairs, cornhole, and more.
---------------

There are also three French language streamers, and Bell promises there are more to come. But if they're not available to everyone, that certainly would restrict the audience. So far, none of those look terribly interesting to me. But it will be worth keeping an eye on them to see what else they might come up with down the road. 

Bell Media Launches All-New Portfolio of FAST Channels

April 25, 2024 11:22 am  #2

Re: Bell Launches 10 New FAST Channels - But Can You Get Them?

You can download LG Channels on Apple TV or Roku.

April 25, 2024 11:34 am  #3

Are they available if you don't have either of them?

April 25, 2024 11:48 am  #4

It seems to be on some other platforms like Android, but no direct streaming access.

April 25, 2024 11:52 am  #5

Restricting it to just a few platforms seems to me like a way to guarantee very few will see it. What an odd choice.

April 25, 2024 2:38 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Restricting it to just a few platforms seems to me like a way to guarantee very few will see it. What an odd choice.

Agreed. They have a perfectly good app for CTV, why not put those FAST services on there in addition to Samsung and LG? At least CBC and Global have their FAST channels on their respective apps.

April 25, 2024 5:48 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

LG and SAMSUNG would be the "built in" structure, while, in the (near) future, a firestick might be able to do the job on any TV, since all HD TVs have HDMI ports. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 25, 2024 9:56 pm  #8

I've been doing a pretty good job of avoiding anything Bell for a couple of years now;  TV, radio, internet service, even The Source,  which I believe is Bell owned?  Either way...I have no need to go there or support them.

As for FAST services:  Pluto is good, but Plex is my favourite.

April 25, 2024 10:00 pm  #9

Don't forget to try Tubi.tv, which is not, to my knowledge, affiliated with Bell in any way. A great FAST service and if you have a VPN set to the U.S., there's even more on it, but if not, still a lot of great stuff there for Canadians.

April 25, 2024 11:15 pm  #10

TSN the Ocho

Brilliant. I’m in

April 26, 2024 6:57 am  #11

The Mightiest might have some appeal for me. The rest? Not at all.

April 26, 2024 8:06 am  #12

ED1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Agreed. They have a perfectly good app for CTV, why not put those FAST services on there in addition to Samsung and LG? At least CBC and Global have their FAST channels on their respective apps.

The point of these isn't BellMedia creating a bunch of channels and then making them widely available. Instead, it's a content provision deal with the manufacturers so their TVs have FAST content on their home-screens out-of-the-box.

April 26, 2024 8:52 am  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

The point of these isn't BellMedia creating a bunch of channels and then making them widely available. Instead, it's a content provision deal with the manufacturers so their TVs have FAST content on their home-screens out-of-the-box.

So, no matter what?  The only way to get this content is through a SAMSUNG or LG TV??

April 26, 2024 9:22 am  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

So, no matter what?  The only way to get this content is through a SAMSUNG or LG TV??

LG does make an app for other platforms, but I can't imagine there's much uptake on that.

Most of the content is available on-demand elsewhere anyway.

April 26, 2024 9:32 am  #15

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

LG does make an app for other platforms, but I can't imagine there's much uptake on that.

But instead of buying a SAMSUMG or LG, how about a TOSHIBA?  

Will the content be made available for the TOSHIBA FIRE TV?  (or any fire stick, for that matter?) 
Toshiba Fire TV:  https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/toshiba-43-4k-uhd-hdr-led-fire-smart-tv-43c350lc-2023-only-at-best-buy/17071542

April 26, 2024 9:47 am  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

But instead of buying a SAMSUMG or LG, how about a TOSHIBA?  

Will the content be made available for the TOSHIBA FIRE TV?  (or any fire stick, for that matter?) 
Toshiba Fire TV:  https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/toshiba-43-4k-uhd-hdr-led-fire-smart-tv-43c350lc-2023-only-at-best-buy/17071542

Maybe? Toshiba's a little different in that they have, as you pointed out, Amazon's Fire as their OS, so it naturally showcases Amazon's content.

April 26, 2024 11:55 am  #17

mace wrote:

The Mightiest might have some appeal for me. The rest? Not at all.

That's one more than I'll watch.

April 27, 2024 6:06 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

FAST stands for Free Ad Supported Streaming Television, and it's the latest big thing, like Pluto and Tubitv. Now Bell has joined the free-for-all, although this may not quite be free for all. At least not yet.

The stations will be available on LG and Samsung TVs, but it's not clear if you'll be able to access them using other means, like your phone or laptop. 

Here's the list:

-----------------

CTV @Home: A variety of CTV's best lifestyle programming that spans from feel-good to feed-good! Enjoy classic episodes of The Marilyn Denis Show, Mary's Kitchen Crush, Country House Hunters Canada, and more.

Corner Gas Channel: Return to Dog River, Saskatchewan with all episodes from one of Canada's highest-rated comedy series of all-time, as well as its spin-off, Corner Gas Animated.

CTV Gridlock: A traffic jam worth being stuck in! Enjoy classic episodes of Highway Thru Hell and the entire series of Heavy Rescue: 401.

CTV Laughs: Laugh out loud with this collection of funny, featuring side-splitting sitcoms, roast battles and stand-up.

The Mightiest by CTV: Mega machines take on mighty missions with the most innovative stories from Mighty Trains, Mighty Cruise Ships, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes, and The Mightiest.

CTV News: Features the best from Canada's most-watched news organization including CTV National and CTV Local News, Power Play, Question Period and W5.

TSN The Ocho: Home to the best of seldom-seen sports, TSN The Ocho features unusual and entertaining sports and competitions including kickball, table tennis, ultimate frisbee, slippery stairs, cornhole, and more.
---------------

There are also three French language streamers, and Bell promises there are more to come. But if they're not available to everyone, that certainly would restrict the audience. So far, none of those look terribly interesting to me. But it will be worth keeping an eye on them to see what else they might come up with down the road. 

Link does not work anymore. Woulde be nice of CTV switched up their CTV 2 network a bit and their main CTV channel. But when they scrapped the CTV News at noon newscasts and the weekend newscasts except for CTV Toronto. They could've aired the feed from the CTV News channel feed instead of their produced content from their library. There is nothing wrong with that right?

Last edited by haydenmatthews14 (April 27, 2024 6:12 pm)

April 27, 2024 9:14 pm  #19

I have no idea why the link has been taken down, but it's odd.

Here's the same press release from Bell itself.