sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2024 10:34 am  #1

Are Some Well Known Buffalo Radio Stations Going To Be Sold?

It's the latest speculation in The Buffalo News. A column by Alan Pergament notes the prominent owner of several properties recently purchased some of the debt of competitors Cumulus and Audacy, leading to speculation he could wind up owning more stations than are allowed in a single market. 

Pergament believes despite the fact they're on AM, both WBEN and WGR are untouchable. But the rest could be up for grabs if it comes to that.

"A combined Audacy/Cumulus Buffalo apparently would have to sell one FM and three AM stations to get under federal ownership guidelines.  

WGR and WBEN are the most valuable AM stations. It might be difficult to get a buyer interested in WWWS, WWKB or WBBF, which have low listenership. WLKK would appear to be the least valuable FM station."

But the columnist also notes that any such moves might be months if not over a year away - if it happens at all. 

Are there changes coming to Buffalo radio?

April 25, 2024 10:41 am  #2

Re: Are Some Well Known Buffalo Radio Stations Going To Be Sold?

It's interesting because 107.7 was already used once as a repeater of WBEN and the idea did not work out.
If a buyer wants to use 107.7 as a repeater of one of the other AM stations and try something else, would that work? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 25, 2024 10:56 am  #3

I believe the 107.7 signal doesn't go very far, so that might limit its worth.

April 26, 2024 8:26 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I have received this station in my car occasionally in the west end of the GTA, admittedly with some major splatter from 107.9

April 26, 2024 8:34 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The station picks up in Scarborough sometimes, mainly at night. 
Somehow, when I am in the Scarborough area, I am also not getting any interference from Y 108. 

April 26, 2024 8:55 am  #6

107.7 is also the FM repeater for 1580 CKDO AM in Oshawa.

April 26, 2024 9:25 am  #7

pinto wrote:

107.7 is also the FM repeater for 1580 CKDO AM in Oshawa.

Okay, sorry, for Scarborough, I meant the Scarborough-North York border, on the Scarborough side some place close by.
I bet if I go deeper into Scarborough Oshawa will either bleed the two stations together, or wipe out Buffalo altogether.

In downtown Toronto, something wants to pick up on 107.7 as we speak, but 107.9 is cutting in too strong, making both stations together unlistenable. 

April 26, 2024 9:33 am  #8

I live in northern North York and I can't get a sniff from Oshawa on 107.7. Worse yet, 1580 is also practically all noise, so while I'd like to listen to CKDO off air, I can't. The only place it comes in well is in the car, where its HD signal is on 94.7 - and even then, its relatively weak signal often gets blocked out by geography and other buildings.

April 29, 2024 1:01 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

It's interesting because 107.7 was already used once as a repeater of WBEN and the idea did not work out.
If a buyer wants to use 107.7 as a repeater of one of the other AM stations and try something else, would that work? 

Audacy used it to simulcast WBEN. We know how well THAT went.

April 29, 2024 1:45 pm  #10

ckg927 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Audacy used it to simulcast WBEN. We know how well THAT went.

I said something else. 

April 30, 2024 1:54 pm  #11

I was in Niagara Falls over the weekend and even there it was difficult to pick up 107.7fm.  When it did come in clear I did notice that 107.7 HD2 was also available (very spotty in Niagara Falls even) and it was an automated 'Star 102.5' living on without DJ's but the same jingles, station Id's and Music; very weird.  I noticed on the recent Buffalo ratings that it also showed up with some listeners.

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

April 30, 2024 2:00 pm  #12

dmcjeff wrote:

I was in Niagara Falls over the weekend and even there it was difficult to pick up 107.7fm.  When it did come in clear I did notice that 107.7 HD2 was also available (very spotty in Niagara Falls even) and it was an automated 'Star 102.5' living on without DJ's but the same jingles, station Id's and Music; very weird.  I noticed on the recent Buffalo ratings that it also showed up with some listeners.

It's there to keep the trademark in the market, and likely the reason 96.1 had to back off scooping up the "Star" branding.