sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2024 9:48 pm  #1

I was hoping to catch the news, but a hockey game broke out

Driving home, and thought for sure the Leafs/Bruins  would be on TSN and nope, 640 Toronto??? Nope, 610 CKTB? Nope, not there either.

It was on 680 News, I wasn't expecting that, but it is in the Rogers family, so I suppose that is why they were the back up to Sporstnet, who had the Jays and K.C. Royals.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 23, 2024 8:40 am  #2

Re: I was hoping to catch the news, but a hockey game broke out

I was surprised it wasn't on TSN1050, they had some golf program on and kept using the acronym for the show so I have no idea what the show's proper name is.

I'm sure 1050 would've loved to carry the game as 590 couldn't but I think Rogers prefers (as any broadcaster would) to keep everything in house if possible.

EDIT: Looking at TSN1050's schedule, they will be carrying game three between Boston/Toronto, which further mystifies (to me, anyway) why game two was on 680News.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (April 23, 2024 1:14 pm)

April 25, 2024 9:47 am  #3

This happens every time the Leafs make the playoffs.

As I understand it, because the team is co-owned by Rogers and Bell, each one gets allotted a certain number of games for their radio stations. Not usually a problem during the winter, but I believe the Jays are contractually obligated to be on The Fan 590 every time they play. So on the rare occasions when Rogers has the Leaf rights for that night and there's a conflict, hockey gets bumped over to 680.

I don't think this happens in any other market in North America, but then again, there aren't many instances where two broadcasting giants own part of the same team.

April 25, 2024 9:49 am  #4

And by the way, I believe the 680 news wheel continues online while all this is going on. I really wonder how many people are tuning in over the web to hear 680 News - or whatever they're calling themselves this week. 

April 25, 2024 6:33 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This happens every time the Leafs make the playoffs.

Not sure this happens often enough for it to sink in lol.