sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2024 8:04 am  #1

When Will The New Owner Start Programming CKOC, CHAM & CKWW?

It's been just over 6 months since Neeti Ray bought Hamilton's CKOC and CHAM, along with Windsor's CKWW. That was in November 2023. But so far, they're still in Bell's caretaker hands with absolutely no on-air changes. How long before he assumes command of what he bought and makes the programming alterations we're all curious to hear?

He's hinted he won't be making any major changes, at least at first, but I'll believe that when I hear it. The real question right now is exactly when will we hear it? Half a year seems more than enough to take over and change them into whatever comes next. 

April 21, 2024 8:49 am  #2

Re: When Will The New Owner Start Programming CKOC, CHAM & CKWW?

While the applications for transfer of ownership were part of a non-appearing hearing on February 8th, the Commission has yet to render a decision.  There were several interventions which expressed concern that the Hamilton stations would be used as a back door into the Toronto ethnic market.
While the response was that it would be "business as usual", the rules allow conventional broadcasters to have up to 15% third language programming. The Commission is probably mulling over the precise wording (in both official languages) to deal with this issue.

April 21, 2024 9:58 am  #3

So I take it this means there's no specific date. It could be another year if not more, if I read what you're saying correctly, because the CRTC is not known to work at lightning speed. 

That's good in a way. Funny 820 is my go-to when there's absolutely nothing else on. I will actually miss it. 

April 21, 2024 10:18 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

That's good in a way. Funny 820 is my go-to when there's absolutely nothing else on. I will actually miss it. 

I won't. I'm not a fan of American network comedy radio. It needs some (local) Canadian input with a local radio announcer. (In the states they call them CJ's-Comedy Jocks)
Maybe even a music show once a week (or so) with parodies. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 21, 2024 12:13 pm  #5

If the application for the ownership change was on Feb 8th then it has been two months.   CRTC usually releases their decisions in about six months, so likely August or September. 

I agree with Radiowiz, Funny 820 should have more local comedians.  Plenty around with Yuk Yuk's and Second City.  Bell has lots of material from Comedy Inc. and other stand up shows. 

April 21, 2024 12:27 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

If the application for the ownership change was on Feb 8th then it has been two months.   CRTC usually releases their decisions in about six months, so likely August or September. 

I agree with Radiowiz, Funny 820 should have more local comedians.  Plenty around with Yuk Yuk's and Second City.  Bell has lots of material from Comedy Inc. and other stand up shows. 

That would have required creating programming, which was not the point. 

April 21, 2024 12:28 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

The application wasn't Feb 8, the hearing was. Decision should be imminent.

April 21, 2024 12:33 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I won't. I'm not a fan of American network comedy radio. It needs some (local) Canadian input with a local radio announcer. (In the states they call them CJ's-Comedy Jocks)
Maybe even a music show once a week (or so) with parodies. 

That would be great, but Bell is not going to spend a dime on a station they've already sold. If you remember, when it first started, they actually had brief local features hosted by Mike Nabuurs, aka "The Ambassador of Funny," who used to be on CKOC. He was let go and those segments stopped. They've done absolutely nothing since nor do they have any reason to now. 

It wasn't always that way. In announcing the new format back in 2012 (has it really been that long?) The Hamilton Spectator had this to say, from G.M. Paul Fisher:

"Initially, FUNNY won’t feature local comedians, but Fisher says that’s something that could be introduced down the road.  

The reformatted station kicks off with a contest called So You Think You’re Funny, inviting Hamiltonians to submit videos of themselves cracking jokes. The clips will be posted online, and entrants will compete in a showcase showdown at a comedy club this fall."

The best laid plans and all that...

April 21, 2024 5:05 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

..That's good in a way. Funny 820 is my go-to when there's absolutely nothing else on. I will actually miss it. 

I hear ya RA .. Funny 820 was my go-to late night listening as I like the short skit format.

When CHAM was sold, I assumed Funny 820 would disappear in short order, so I've created my own semi-equivalent.  I've downloaded a bunch of comedy albums from Youtube, separated into individual cuts & I randomize my Comedy playlist each night which is accessible via Upnp to my Ocean Digital bedside internet radio.

Presto, my own Funny 820 .. I'm up to ~550 comedy tracks so far : )) .. 

from following comdians:
@Allen, Jeff
@Ansari, Aziz
@Bodden, Alonzo
@Collins, Bobby
@Dunham, Jeff
@Engvall, Bill
@Ferguson, Craig
@Gaffigan, Jim
@Iglesias, Gabriel
@Madigan, Kathleen
@Mulaney, John
@Papa, Tom
@Peters, Russell
@Pinette, John
@Regan, Brian
@Spade, David
@Sykes, Wanda
@Warren, Greg
@Williams, Robin

Last edited by g121 (April 21, 2024 5:06 pm)

April 21, 2024 5:57 pm  #10

And the bonus is that you don't have to listen to anyone you don't find funny. My least favourites are George Lopez and Maria Bamford. For some reason, they allow these cuts to go on and on and on, but a great comic like Steven Wright gets about 30 secs.- 1 minute and then it's over. 

April 21, 2024 6:04 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

And the bonus is that you don't have to listen to anyone you don't find funny. My least favourites are George Lopez and Maria Bamford. For some reason, they allow these cuts to go on and on and on, but a great comic like Steven Wright gets about 30 secs.- 1 minute and then it's over. 

I love Steven Wright's dry as a desert sense of humour. His car answering machine greeting is hilarious. "I'm home now, but leave a message and I'll call when I'm out"

April 21, 2024 6:23 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

They seem to cut it by number of punchlines rather than consistent times, and Steven tells like 5 jokes a minute.

April 21, 2024 9:15 pm  #13

My favourite Steven Wright joke:

"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."

Genius, I 'tells' ya, genius!

100+ Steven Wright Jokes

April 21, 2024 11:32 pm  #14

April 22, 2024 8:51 am  #15

The decision also has to be translated into French before publication.  This also delays the process depending on the volume of items which are ahead of it in the CRTC secretariat's "French translation" section.

April 22, 2024 9:13 am  #16

tvguy wrote:

The decision also has to be translated into French before publication.  This also delays the process depending on the volume of items which are ahead of it in the CRTC secretariat's "French translation" section.

Aren't the translations was instantaneous, like in the House of Commons?   

April 22, 2024 9:28 am  #17

paterson1 wrote:

tvguy wrote:

Aren't the translations was instantaneous, like in the House of Commons?   

LOL, union says no.

April 22, 2024 10:19 am  #18

RadioActive wrote:

100+ Steven Wright Jokes

I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize !

April 22, 2024 10:44 am  #19

fyshtalk wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

100+ Steven Wright Jokes

I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize !

"I'm a peripheral visionary. I can see into the future, but only from the sides."