sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2024 1:01 pm  #1

Let's give 'em something to talk about...

...on the RadioWest.ca discussion forum:

https://radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12868522#p12868522

April 20, 2024 11:07 pm  #2

Re: Let's give 'em something to talk about...

One would think an open letter to the SOWNY Board would be better served on the SOWNY Board.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 21, 2024 12:04 am  #3

Yes, I saw that and he's certainly entitled to his opinion. Mine is that there's a difference between political posts of various kinds. I have no problem with talking about the CBC and its funding - that's certainly a broadcast story. Bills C-11 and C-18 also affect what you see on TV and online. Also fair game.

But unless Pierre P. or Justin T. start hosting their own shows, I don't really want to hear about them. In fact, I think that may be the first time I've mentioned either one of their names on this forum.

The problem is a thread about anything political - even if not directly related - always, always deteriorates into a fight between the right and the left, with a lot of vitriol in them. Then I get bombarded by complaints from both sides about how unfair the posters are being, with people threatening to leave the board for good because they don't like what someone else said, or worse, called them. 

Far better to take that stuff to the Star or National Post comment sections, where it's mostly welcomed and wanted.

As for his accusations that I'm some right wing nutcase, I think that's largely his imagination. I've gone over many of my posts over the past few years since I read his message and don't see a single one where I mentioned either leader pro or con. And quite frankly, I'm not crazy about any of them, so I can only guess he's reading something into it that's not there. 

Oh, and not liking the CBC doesn't make me a card-carrying Conservative. For the record, I'm not a member of any party. I don't like government interference in broadcasting, period, no matter who dreams up the policies. Leave radio and TV to the professionals who do it for a living. How is that right wing?

My rule of thumb is - if it's policy about broadcasting, it's fine. If it's not, please take it somewhere else. We don't need it here. But name calling won't be tolerated nor should any of you have to endure it.

And by the way, I'm sad to see the poster who wrote that message leave. I thought he added a lot of valuable insights here. I hope some day he will reconsider. 

Someone once told me before I took this on that the life of an Admin. is a thankless job. And that's true for the most part. But I'm trying my best to run it and keep the peace. If I fail sonetimes, well, I'm only human. (And some days, barely that!)

But I still like this place, especially when we're all civil to each other. Hope you do, too.

April 21, 2024 8:18 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Oh, and not liking the CBC doesn't make me a card-carrying Conservative. For the record, I'm not a member of any party. I don't like government interference in broadcasting, period, no matter who dreams up the policies. Leave radio and TV to the professionals who do it for a living. How is that right wing?.

And there's the problem RA. You don't view the CBC as an independent broadcaster that happens to be publicly-funded, like the BBC, Australia's ABC, France Televisions or a host of other similar outlets in industrialized countries around the world. Instead, you view it as "government interference" (whatever the heck that means) into territory that should be left to our benevolent corporate overloads,

So let me ask you some questions. How has it been going among the "professionals who do it for a living" in Canada's private broadcasting world? I'm not talking about the guys who run small independent outlets in towns, but the major players who have the scope and financial resources to pull together national networks that run from coast-to-coast. Are they investing in new and exciting programming that entertains and informs Canadians? As our population now passes 40 million, are they hiring hundreds of new people to better serve their audiences? Are they investing heavily in digital technologies to reach new audiences? Or are they shutting down outlets, cutting services and firing people while at the same time pleading for more regulatory relief while also taking cash from the government in the form of tax subsidies, and programs like the Canada Media Fund and the Online News Act?

The CBC is far from perfect and people can debate its real or imagined biases from now until the cows come home. But to claim that the private sector would do a better job simply doesn't hold up in the face of the current reality in Canada.

April 21, 2024 10:36 am  #5

This probably should be its own thread, but I'll give it a try. 

First, let me admit an open prejudice, which may not entirely be fair. My dislike of the CBC goes all the way back to when I was a kid, and watching shows like "Star Trek" or "The Monkees" on U.S. TV. The Corp. was showing horribly cheap and terrible programs like "Hymn Sing" and "Don Messer's Jubilee." In primetime!! 

I know some people enjoyed them, but in comparison with what else was on the rest of the TV dial, it was unwatchable. I confess, though the production values are far better now, I've never quite been able to get over that first impression. So that may be unfair, but it's so deeply ingrained in me from childhood, I can't shake it. 

Second, I won't disagree with you that some of the owners of stations these days are hardly paragons of excellence. Bell is especially awful, since it never had any intention of running its radio stations properly. They saw it as a wallet, and when the money they expected wasn't in it, they simply abandoned them, cutting so much they were barely listenable. Again, back in the day, they had owners that cared about the product as well as the profit. Those people are long gone and listeners are the worse for it. That doesn't make the CBC better, however.

While I'm critical of Rogers, at least they have a background in radio and know how to run their outlets. But they're also cheap and greedy, too. So on those points we're in agreement. 

Now to the CBC. They suck up a small fortune in taxpayer money every single year and their product, for the most part, is terrible. All that money for so little return. If you found this in any other business, you wouldn't patronize them. I recently read that their high profile nightly newscast "The National" gets fewer than 500,000 viewers every evening - this in a country of nearly 40 million people. They regularly get clobbered by CTV National News, which follows an hour later. The fact it airs in primetime at 10 is part of it. But those numbers are simply pathetic. 

CBC Radio 1's morning shows seem to do well, as does the CBC French. But their English TV product is not really being watched by anyone overall and it's an issue they've never really been able to fix for reasons that are inexplicable to me, what with all their resources. (And by the way, I've never bought into the argument that they're biased for one side over the other, despite people constantly saying that about them. It's the lack of quality that bugs me. Somehow, when I'm watching a CBC show, I'm painfully aware it's a CBC show, because of how it looks on screen.)

For reasons that aren't clear, the product from the BBC is far superior and always has been. Why the CBC is such a laggard in comparison when both get millions in public funding is beyond me. They should be turning out breathtaking stuff. They don't. (Not that everyone is happy with the Beeb and its licence fees, as the cartoon below indicates.)

My other issue with the CBC is the sheer bloat that the network encompasses. I used to help produce a nationally syndicated radio documentary show out of CFTR in the 80s. It was me and one other guy. That's it. It meant long, long hours into the night getting it done in time, but that was the job and we did it really well. In fact, I'm still proud of the stuff we turned out with such limited resources. 

Meanwhile, each CBC radio show has what I believe is dozens of producers doing what seems like not that much work to justify their taxpayer-funded presence. No one gave us government money in private radio and we worked miracles. They get a fortune, have way more people than commercial radio and yet still turn out - in my opinion - less than overwhelming programming. And I know people hate this argument but there's some truth to it. By having to pay taxes to fund this giant labyrinth, I'm effectively forced to give money to a direct competitor that will always have more than my station. How is that fair that I help bankroll my direct competition?

So, yes my beef with the CBC is long standing and goes back many years. And just because Bell and Rogers are cheapskates doesn't mean private radio wasn't well done at one time, before they got their greedy maws on them. And if it can happen once, it can happen again. Just get the right owners who don't solely have dollar signs obscuring their vision. 

The CBC has no such excuse. So please tell me, why aren't they better?

April 21, 2024 11:52 am  #6

RA, please.  Your long, biased and inaccurate post is as usual, exaggerated and over the top.

So you didn't like Hymn Sing and Don Messer and you just can't shake it out of your head??  Why you always revert to the old days is beyond me. The 60's, 70's and 80's are gone, and not coming back.  Live in the day, or at least somewhere in the last few decades.

You make it sound like CBC is swimming in money and should be cranking out BBC quality programming.  Hey guess what, BBC programming usually isn't that popular either in Canada.  Coronation Street excepted.  

We have been through this many times comparing what BBC, German Public Broadcasting, French Public and others receive from their various governments.  BBC for example receives over 4 times as much money as CBC, German public broadcasting even more.  For BBC, as you know it is a direct tax for households AND businesses. And no, CBC should not use PBS as a model for funding or programming.

CBC TV does NOT receive $1.3 billion from the government.  CBC/Radio Canada does.  This is for all English, French and Indegenious radio/TV programming, run the facilities and pay for staff.  CBC TV's portion of the $1.3 billion is about $750 million. So the quality of their programming is actually very good overall considering their real budget.  CBC/Radio Canada also takes in about $250 million a year in advertising.   

Care to guess what Bell Media's budget is for TV and radio?  Want to guess what they spend on US programming or even NFL football?  And the expensive US prime time shows are sliding badly in the ratings here and even more south of the border.

So US prime time programming has lousy ratings, does this mean their programming is terrible like CBC?   You can't run a network on Super Bowl ratings and a couple of shows that are still attracting decent audiences.

So to only focus on CBC TV and how terrible you think they are is just showing your one sided views, which is always..  Canada BAD...USA GOOD.  

I could even take issue with your unbalanced views on Bell Media.  But that is for another time.  

April 21, 2024 12:39 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

I could even take issue with your unbalanced views on Bell Media. But that is for another time 

Don't, please don't 

Dicky Doo 

April 21, 2024 12:40 pm  #8

We will never agree on this and haven't for ages. Yes, I've admitted my bias against the CBC, even if you don't like where it comes from. But you know the old expression, "First impressions last." This one has been with me all my life and frankly, they've given me little reason to change it. 

Based on what I've seen, while the production elements are somewhat better, the actual on-air product is still terrible. I rarely watch the CBC's TV output and ratings indicate I'm not alone. 

All I can say is please feel free to enjoy the programming on CBC if you can. I - and apparently millions of other Canadians - won't be watching with you. The numbers don't lie. The eyeballs simply aren't there, regardless of how much money these guys are given. 

And just to reiterate what started all this in the first place, not liking the CBC does not make anyone a rabid right winger. I don't like the bulk of their programming. That's not political. It's a matter of taste. If yours is different from mine, please enjoy it. Just don't make me pay for something I'll never use. 

April 21, 2024 12:54 pm  #9

Just to add on...

The U.S. programs you cited come from a country that has ten times the population base of Canada and access to some of the most sophisticated technology in the broadcast world. Yet with a much smaller market and with far smaller budgets, the CBC still produced shows like "King of Kensington", "Marketplace", "This Hour has Seven Days" "Just for Laughs", "Anne with an E" and a host of the others. And the funny thing is, every time the CBC has tried to follow suit by doing big budget productions like "The Whiteoaks of Jalna" or "Dieppe", they faced rounds of criticism from private broadcasters, who say that kind of blockbuster programming should be their purview, yet they somehow never get around to doing anything about it.

And of course, there's nothing like the tired old 80s trope about "dozens of producers" at the CBC, while the valiant souls of private broadcasting struggle on with just guts and a rusty editing blade. The fact is the CBC you created out of your beliefs hasn't existed for more than 20 years. A friend of mine who is a reporter/editor for CBC National Radio News tells me his days consist of cutting soundbites for two different radio networks, writing and updating stories for CBC's digital platforms, working with his TV colleagues to prep stories for syndication (often because he's sent out on stories with just a cameraman and is expected to weave his material into a larger TV story that will be voiced by another reporter) while also seeking interviews and other opinions to flesh out his own story for The World at Six. Ask him about the "dozens of producers" rumours and he'll simply laugh and keep on doing his job.

If you look behind much of the bellyaching about the CBC from past and present private broadcast types, you'll usually find its motivated by two emotions - regret and envy. RA's talk about working hard and pulling rabbits out of hats for the pittance that he was paid by Rogers is part of the regret many of these folks feel for having given the best of their working years to a corporation that didn't give a crap about their sacrifices and threw them over the side when their usefulness had ended. This, combined with the envy they feel when they acknowledge that CBC staff are generally paid a living wage, have benefits and a better work/life balance, makes it easy to lash out at the Corp, rather than admit they were played for suckers.

April 21, 2024 1:09 pm  #10

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Just to add on...

The U.S. programs you cited come from a country that has ten times the population base of Canada and access to some of the most sophisticated technology in the broadcast world. Yet with a much smaller market and with far smaller budgets, the CBC still produced shows like "King of Kensington", "Marketplace", "This Hour has Seven Days" "Just for Laughs", "Anne with an E" and a host of the others. And the funny thing is, every time the CBC has tried to follow suit by doing big budget productions like "The Whiteoaks of Jalna" or "Dieppe", they faced rounds of criticism from private broadcasters, who say that kind of blockbuster programming should be their purview, yet they somehow never get around to doing anything about it.

Well, I guess that all centres on whether you think any of the shows you've listed there were great. Outside of Marketplace, which I think does an OK job for what it is, I never watched any of them after seeing part of the first episode. They were all terrible in my opinion. And that's all it is - my opinion. For some reason, when I criticize the CBC, I'm constantly told I hate it because it's Canadian. And that's not true. I dislike it because it's not good television.

And oh, by the way, as for paterson1's equation about Canadian=bad, American=good, that's pretty presumptuous, as well. I quite enjoyed Flashpoint and Transplant, just to take two examples. They were excellent shows and I watched every episode. So I don't care where they're from as long as they're entertaining. Why can't the CBC seem to make shows like that?

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

And of course, there's nothing like the tired old 80s trope about "dozens of producers" at the CBC, while the valiant souls of private broadcasting struggle on with just guts and a rusty editing blade. The fact is the CBC you created out of your beliefs hasn't existed for more than 20 years. A friend of mine who is a reporter/editor for CBC National Radio News tells me his days consist of cutting soundbites for two different radio networks, writing and updating stories for CBC's digital platforms, working with his TV colleagues to prep stories for syndication (often because he's sent out on stories with just a cameraman and is expected to weave his material into a larger TV story that will be voiced by another reporter) while also seeking interviews and other opinions to flesh out his own story for The World at Six. Ask him about the "dozens of producers" rumours and he'll simply laugh and keep on doing his job.fits and a better work/life balance, makes it easy to lash out at the Corp, rather than admit they were played for suckers.

I'm sure there are hard working people at the CBC and they're all pros. But you have to admit there are a lot more of them than at any private radio station in the country. Even if there are not as many as there used to be. And by the way, when I was at CFTR, the taxpayers didn't issue my paycheque. I think that matters.

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

If you look behind much of the bellyaching about the CBC from past and present private broadcast types, you'll usually find its motivated by two emotions - regret and envy. RA's talk about working hard and pulling rabbits out of hats for the pittance that he was paid by Rogers is part of the regret many of these folks feel for having given the best of their working years to a corporation that didn't give a crap about their sacrifices and threw them over the side when their usefulness had ended. This, combined with the envy they feel when they acknowledge that CBC staff are generally paid a living wage, have benefits and a better work/life balance, makes it easy to lash out at the Corp, rather than admit they were played for suckers.

Pretty presumptuous statement since I don't feel that way at all. I left CFTR of my own accord, with no one "playing me for suckers." I found a better opportunity and went for it to advance my career. As much as I don't like the bloated monstrosity that Rogers has become, it was a very different company back then.

I've done a lot of different jobs in TV and radio since then, but it was the best gig I ever had and I remain proud of the work I did there, much of which still stands up today when I occasionally pull it out of the archives and listen to it. I still remember how, not long after we started the show, the CBC began copying some of the production techniques we pioneered. We were surprised because we were doing what they termed "rock and roll news." But boy, did it sound good.

April 21, 2024 1:47 pm  #11

I don't have much time for a more fulsome input today. However, one comparative that needs consideration, in the BBC vs. CBC discussion, is this:

How large, geographically, is the United Kingdom that the BBC serves?

How large, geographically, is Canada (the second-largest country on Earth) that the CBC serves?

April 21, 2024 1:59 pm  #12

"And by the way, when I was at CFTR, the taxpayers didn't issue my paycheque. I think that matters."

Why? Does it make you feel more virtuous than a civil servant? A firefighter? A cop? A sailor serving on a Canadian Coast Guard ship? Are they and the thousands of other government workers at the federal, provincial and municipal levels somehow beneath your consideration because they're paid by the taxpayer? Your corporate masters at Rogers have taken and continue to take advantage of government tax breaks, subsidies and other forms of largesse from the public teat. Even though your cheque didn't have the Government of Canada logo on it, I daresay some of that sweet public money went into paying your salary.

BTW, where are shows like "Transplant" and "Flashpoint" now? Gone. Seeing anything else from your friendly neighbourhood conglomerate on the air these days that meets those same standards? In the meantime, CBC shows like "Running the Burbs", "Son of a Critch" and others are being enjoyed by people throughout the U.S. on various specialty networks, and CBC originated shows like "Shark Tank" and "Working Moms" (as well as Radio-Canada programs like "A Man and A Woman) are being adapted and produced in the U.S. and other countries around the world.

Stop living in the past.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (April 21, 2024 2:00 pm)

April 21, 2024 2:17 pm  #13

Paterson 1 said: You make it sound like CBC is swimming in money and should be cranking out BBC quality programming.  Hey guess what, BBC programming usually isn't that popular either in Canada.  Coronation Street excepted.  

BBC has nothing to do with Coronation Street. It's produced by Granada Television and airs on independent ITV in Britain. CBC licenses it in Canada.
There will always be trolls who aren't happy with anything. I think RadioActive has been doing, and is doing, a GREAT job with the big yellow board.  

Last edited by Doug Thompson (April 21, 2024 2:18 pm)

April 21, 2024 2:35 pm  #14

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

"And by the way, when I was at CFTR, the taxpayers didn't issue my paycheque. I think that matters."

Why? Does it make you feel more virtuous than a civil servant? A firefighter? A cop? A sailor serving on a Canadian Coast Guard ship? Are they and the thousands of other government workers at the federal, provincial and municipal levels somehow beneath your consideration because they're paid by the taxpayer? Your corporate masters at Rogers have taken and continue to take advantage of government tax breaks, subsidies and other forms of largesse from the public teat. Even though your cheque didn't have the Government of Canada logo on it, I daresay some of that sweet public money went into paying your salary. 

I doubt that. We were paid by the company for making radio that attracted advertisers. They may get tax breaks more now than they did then, but I highly doubt Rogers can in any way be characterized at the time I was there as getting millions in taxpayer dollars to produce their product. I can't speak about now. But back then, for sure, no. 

I don't feel more virtuous, but I do know that you and others like you weren't paying my entire pittance. (And God knows they're not "my corporate masters." This was the 80s. so it's been more than 40 years since I was there). As noted, both Rogers and radio were very different back then. As for all the other professions you listed, wow, talk about a stretch. A firefighter, for example, is literally on guard for thee. They save lives. Same with sailors. They're worth the money. They serve the public in heroic ways.

I don't think there can be any argument made that "The King of Kensington" ever saved anyone. And by the way, though it was made in the 80s as well and I'm sure things have changed, that NFB film I recommended a few weeks ago took viewers right into the heart of the then-CBC building on Jarvis St. It showed at least 10 or more producers working on As It Happens. There were probably even more. Private radio could never get away with that, but then private radio doesn't have a guaranteed income like the CBC has for decades. 

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

BTW, where are shows like "Transplant" and "Flashpoint" now? Gone. Seeing anything else from your friendly neighbourhood conglomerate on the air these days that meets those same standards? In the meantime, CBC shows like "Running the Burbs", "Son of a Critch" and others are being enjoyed by people throughout the U.S. on various specialty networks, and CBC originated shows like "Shark Tank" and "Working Moms" (as well as Radio-Canada programs like "A Man and A Woman) are being adapted and produced in the U.S. and other countries around the world.

Well, Transplant was on as recently as this season, so I'm not sure that's a good program to choose as an example. Global had "Departure" this year as well, which was also very good. So I'm not against Canadian made shows. There's a ton of talent here and they should be proud of it. That said, how come I never see any of those kinds of programs on CBC? 

And by the way, far be it for me to cheer on CTV and Global. They'll do anything to keep from having to spend the money on these shows if they can get away with it. But they have a certain amount of CanCon they need to make, so it might as well be good and saleable in other markets.

I admit, I sort of like "Critch" but mainly because of its radio connections. It's the only CBC I watched regularly this year. But the others you mention are of no interest to me at all and I never watch them. Last year, I tried to enjoy "Plan B" on the Corp., based on a Radio/Canada show. It was not very good and I haven't seen any indication it's coming back this year. How do you do a show about time travel and show hardly any time travel? Interesting concept, very poor execution.   

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Stop living in the past. 

Actually, I'm living in the now. The CBC TV I see these days is just not very good. You can decry my opinion - and that's all it is - as much as you want, but figures show viewers across the country are just not tuning in. It's a fact and wishing it wasn't won't make it so.

In the end, I'm glad you seem to enjoy what CBC has to offer. Just don't compare it to a police officer or a paramedic. Hardly the same thing and I believe you're wise enough to know that.

So watch it all you want.

Just don't make me pay for something frivolous that I never use.

April 21, 2024 2:36 pm  #15

Doug Thompson wrote:

Paterson 1 said: You make it sound like CBC is swimming in money and should be cranking out BBC quality programming.  Hey guess what, BBC programming usually isn't that popular either in Canada.  Coronation Street excepted.  

BBC has nothing to do with Coronation Street. It's produced by Granada Television and airs on independent ITV in Britain. CBC licenses it in Canada.
There will always be trolls who aren't happy with anything. I think RadioActive has been doing, and is doing, a GREAT job with the big yellow board.  

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the kind words among the slings and arrows!

April 21, 2024 2:47 pm  #16

You seem impervious to facts RA. Your blind faith in the beliefs you've held over the past 40 years with no attempt to update your thought processes might be seen as admirable by some, while others might view it as the sign of a closed mind. 

Keep listening to those tapes. I hope they keep you warm at night. 

April 21, 2024 3:11 pm  #17

I'm not sure which "facts" you're referring to, but mine say people are just not watching this network overall, beyond maybe some of its sports programming. So you have to wonder if it's worth all that money.

That said, it continually amazes me how one person not liking the CBC upsets so many people.

Why?

No one is stopping you or anyone else from watching. Enjoy it on the taxpayer's dime.

I won't be tuning it in and it won't make a single iota of difference. But why it's so upsetting never ceases to fascinate me. 

April 21, 2024 4:14 pm  #18

Really RA? You continue to ignore the fact that CBC Radio draws substantial audiences in major communities across the country. While CTV and Global can get by with offering recycled American cop, medical and legal shows, the days of OTA TV are clearly numbered as more and more people cut the cord and go to streaming services. While CBC continues to seek new audiences in the digital and streaming spaces, Bell, Rogers and Corus continue to milk their dying cash cows and will likely completely abandon broadcasting within the next 10 years. 

As others have pointed out here, you keep claiming you don't want this board to get political, but you keep finding ways to drop your negative thoughts on the CBC as often as possible. Perhaps "so many people" being upset with this is an indication that many of us actually like the CBC and, for all its faults, want it to continue. Perhaps I wasn't so far off the mark with my regret and envy assessment from earlier in this thread.

I'll leave the last word to you.

April 21, 2024 5:30 pm  #19

Doug Thompson wrote:

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was a BBC production or not, don't watch it but that is no excuse.  However furthers my point that BBC programming also isn't usually that popular in Canada either.  

This discussion is not about RA and the great job he does on SOWNY.  I think the site is is the best Radio/TV forum around, and have said this various times.  If it wasn't any good, I wouldn't be here and yammering on so much.

I was taking issue with some generalizations, exaggerations and one sided comments.  Things that have been brought up many, many, many times before by the moderator. 

This does not make me a troll, but comments like these deserve to be debated and challenged.   Especially when they have been covered many times before. 

And to Dicky Doo, I will certainly try to hold my tongue... 

April 21, 2024 5:42 pm  #20

Most anti CBCers make the mistake of lumping the entire corporation into a toxic soup of wasted taxpayer dollars. When actually  Radio-Canada is extremely popular in Quebec and Radio One is very competitive in most Canadian major markets. It is the English television division that has the problem with a lack of viewers because many Canadians perceive their schedule to be filled with mostly dull uninteresting programs. That may not be fair, but that is how the majority of English speaking Canadians view the CBC. Personally, I am not a huge fan of their programs. Other than HNIC, Corrie and Marketplace there is nothing in their schedule that interests me. Growing up I watched Friendly Giant, Razzle Dazzle and Forest Rangers and enjoyed them. However, if the CBC had run those shows on Saturday mornings, I would have chosen Mighty Mouse and Underdog.

April 21, 2024 6:01 pm  #21

I tend to think about the CBC more in terms of news rather than entertainment programming.
And, as a mainly radio news journalist I applaud my CBC colleagues who I have worked with over many years.
Some of the finest reporters I know are CBC reporters -- absolutely excellent.
I have never once heard a CBC reporter (and we reporters do talk among ourselves about our workplaces) say, "Oh gosh my bosses have told me to have this or that bias, or my editor won't let me file that story because it does not fit the CBC political philosophy)... never.
I have never worked for the CBC so I have no bias opinion of them either.
Also it makes me laugh when I hear that old worn out complaint that the CBC get 1.3 billion dollars from the federal government.
Remember that is whether it is a Liberal government or Conservative, or if it ever happened NDP.
As for TV entertainment programming yeah I wish it was better...  
But quite frankly Canada has never had much money to mount slick big budget TV shows.
To me the CBC's greatest strength has always been news and information to bind Canadians together.

April 21, 2024 6:07 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

... not liking the CBC doesn't make me a card-carrying Conservative. For the record, I'm not a member of any party. I don't like government interference in broadcasting, period, no matter who dreams up the policies. Leave radio and TV to the professionals who do it for a living. How is that right wing?
.... Just don't make me pay for something I'll never use. 

RA, those comments, from my perspective at least, are conservative to the core. It doesn't matter whether or not you actually belong to a party. Your comments come across, at least to me, as opposed to state-funded broadcasting. That ain't exactly an NDP or Liberal platform.

And, consider that we pay taxes for all sorts of things we don't use directly. I think that's a very good thing. We fund universities and colleges, which many don't go to. We fund health care services, not all of which we use. We fund construction of highways in regions we'll never travel to. We fund social programs some or even many of us will never use or need. But the fact is that some people need these services, or choose to avail themselves of these opportunities. And the fact is that we all benefit from having a society whose members are well educated, healthy, and can get from Point A to Point B with relative ease.

A national broadcaster can also play a vital role, and although the CBC has not been as good, IMO, as some other national broadcast services, it has done considerable good over the years. Certainly, I've longed for serious structural adjustments. I'd love to see reorganization so entities like the National Film Board and its production capacities cross-pollinate with the CBC, and perhaps with other federal arms-length arts or communications entities. Certainly there's room here at SOWNY to talk about that kind of thing. But to argue here that you shouldn't have to pay for the CBC because you don't use it or like it, you are getting political even if you don't really consciously mean to or think you are.

I totally agree about not wanting to discuss the merits of blue versus red versus orange versus green, on SOWNY, and I think that's both noble and entirely doable. A few posters seem to thrive on expressing their political truth come hell or high water; for whatever reason that seems to make their day. I also have highly charged political views. But this isn't the place for that kind of debate. I'd rather see it gone. But I do think there's ample room to talk about how journalists and commentators cover political issues. That's a massive distinction some on this board aren't making. Tomas' question was in its purest sense a good one, but it fell apart and he blew his cool. The speed and degree in which he blew his cool was disappointing.

Overall, RA, I think you work hard to keep SOWNY lively and active, and at times from diving off the cliff. And for the most part you do it well. I like the way you introduce potential topics to discuss and debate. I also do think you are clearly not fond of the CBC, and quite possibly don't think the state has a role to play in broadcasting. At least, that's how your posts read, to me; please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, IMO at least, you are veering into political territory when you advance those kinds of arguments. Although I find your tone respectful, so my reaction has been, 'That's what RA thinks, might agree here, disagree there..."

Anyhow, I think the bottom line is to distinguish and respect the difference between talking about politics itself and talking about how the media cover politics, and to keep civil and friendly.

April 21, 2024 6:07 pm  #23

We are getting into dangerous ground by saying "nobody watches CBC TV."  Since we hardly ever see much in the way of Canadian ratings, sort of hard to judge. But looking at history from 4 or 5 years ago CBC wasn't strong in prime time.

Yet, all of the ratings we see from the US, other than sports are a fraction of what they were 10-20 years ago.  We could easily say that nobody is watching ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC 90% of the time. 

Even the CBS hit Tracker takes 35 days to reach 20 million viewers when Paramount+ streaming and recording are added in.  Mary Tyler Moore had more people watching in 30 minutes!  This was in 1970 when the US population was 203 million and not almost 340 million today. 

CBC's prime time viewership isn't great.  Bet it would be surprising how small it is for Global and CTV as well.  And what CBC gets is with no simsub and no US programming. 

The US prime time programming has been weak on CTV and Global from the ratings we have had access to.  Could this be why there seems to be less simsub, even in the over blown 8-11pm "prime time?"  Some evenings through the week we have been seeing very little or even no simulcasting.

April 21, 2024 7:30 pm  #24

god this thread is tedious.

April 21, 2024 7:34 pm  #25

Well, since this is my last hurrah on this, I might as well go out with a bang! I know many accuse me of "ignoring reality" but the ratings are pretty clear - CBC TV simply does not attract a huge audience. If it were any other channel, it would have been under extreme financial stress or broke by now.

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Really RA? You continue to ignore the fact that CBC Radio draws substantial audiences in major communities across the country. .

I'm not talking about CBC Radio or CBC French, both of which do very well. I've acknowledged that in previous posts on this thread. I'm strictly talking about their lacklustre English TV service.

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

As others have pointed out here, you keep claiming you don't want this board to get political, but you keep finding ways to drop your negative thoughts on the CBC as often as possible. Perhaps "so many people" being upset with this is an indication that many of us actually like the CBC and, for all its faults, want it to continue.

I don't understand why some claim not watching or liking CBC TV is political. There is absolutely nothing political about it. It's simply a station I think does not have enough of an on-air viewership to justify its budget. I'd say the same thing if any station was as disappointing as this one. If I was saying I don't like CFTO or City TV for similar reasons, no one would be objecting. 

Saul wrote:

RA, those comments, from my perspective at least, are conservative to the core. It doesn't matter whether or not you actually belong to a party. Your comments come across, at least to me, as opposed to state-funded broadcasting. That ain't exactly an NDP or Liberal platform.

And, consider that we pay taxes for all sorts of things we don't use directly. I think that's a very good thing. We fund universities and colleges, which many don't go to. We fund health care services, not all of which we use. We fund construction of highways in regions we'll never travel to. We fund social programs some or even many of us will never use or need. But the fact is that some people need these services, or choose to avail themselves of these opportunities. And the fact is that we all benefit from having a society whose members are well educated, healthy, and can get from Point A to Point B with relative ease. 

Wait, so let me get this straight - not liking a TV channel defines your politics? This is a world I'm not familiar with. I honestly think this may say more about those who think that way than me. It's a stereotype and in this case, it does not fit. Not liking the CBC no more makes me a conservative supporter than it does a Communist. It's an opinion about a TV network. Nothing more. I also have no time for The Food Network. Does that make me anti-nutrition? 

And yes, I agree there are a lot of great things our taxes are used for, despite tremendous amounts of waste in the system. We all use health care. We all at one time have been in the education system. We all need services like passports, documents and otherwise. It would be a difficult world without them. But would CBC TV be missed if it wasn't here? Is it really as necessary as the ones listed above? I don't think the comparison is the same. 

paterson1 wrote:

CBC's prime time viewership isn't great.  Bet it would be surprising how small it is for Global and CTV as well.  And what CBC gets is with no simsub and no US programming. .

Kinda my point. If no one seems to be watching and audiences are shrinking, why not redirect those funds to northern services or its news channel and just stop trying to compete for eyeballs they are not going to get? Keep the radio service on, continue CBC French, and let CBC English die the death it would if it were a commercial venture. 

Saul wrote:

I also do think you are clearly not fond of the CBC, and quite possibly don't think the state has a role to play in broadcasting. At least, that's how your posts read, to me; please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, IMO at least, you are veering into political territory when you advance those kinds of arguments. Although I find your tone respectful, so my reaction has been, 'That's what RA thinks, might agree here, disagree there..." 

No I hate government getting its fingers into my business. I think most people in most businesses would feel that way. Just ask doctors what they think of the regs. they now have to live by. They just get in the way and screw things up for people who actually know what they're doing. 

I don't mind the CRTC regulating spectrum or interference or even awarding licences for precious public spectrum and things like that. But as soon as they start dictating quotas for how much of a certain kind of programming I must air (CanCon, anyone?), I strongly object. This is how it starts. The old expression "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" comes to mind. And the CRTC, to me, has done exactly that. 

newsguy1 wrote:

I tend to think about the CBC more in terms of news rather than entertainment programming.
And, as a mainly radio news journalist I applaud my CBC colleagues who I have worked with over many years.
Some of the finest reporters I know are CBC reporters -- absolutely excellent.
I have never once heard a CBC reporter (and we reporters do talk among ourselves about our workplaces) say, "Oh gosh my bosses have told me to have this or that bias, or my editor won't let me file that story because it does not fit the CBC political philosophy)... never. 

I 100% agree. The one thing CBC tends to do well is news and sports. Perhaps they should stick to that. 

I can't believe I'm the only one who feels that way or sees it in that light. Just because some people interpret that as right wing doesn't make it so. You can be all over the map with your beliefs  - which I mostly am - but because this is my profession, it's one area that I feel very strongly about. 

In the end, it's just my opinion and again, I'm at a loss why it seems to upset so many people here. I don't control anything. The CBC will not disappear tomorrow. I just won't be watching it.  

April 21, 2024 8:28 pm  #26

One last point...

When you call for the closure of an entire television network that serves more than 30 million people, coming at a time when hundreds of other people have been laid off from Canada's private networks, why would you be surprised that people disagree with you RA?

April 21, 2024 8:30 pm  #27

I would hate see anyone laid off. Perhaps they could redirect them to a better or expanded area of the network, like radio or news. But dump the primetime TV stuff. What's the point if so few are watching?

April 21, 2024 8:40 pm  #28

So, are you still calling for the complete closure of CBC TV's English TV network?

April 21, 2024 8:53 pm  #29

At least a reduction. There's no point in throwing good money after bad. Especially when it's our money. 

April 21, 2024 9:01 pm  #30

Well, I commend you RA. That's certainly a start.