sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2017 3:59 pm  #1

Man Who Lost Plane Trip Coin Toss To Ritchie Valens Dies At 85

If it had come up tails, Valens would have lived on and Tommy Allsup would have been one of those claimed on the "Day The Music Died." 

He survived the ‘Day the Music Died’ after losing a coin toss: Tommy Allsup, Buddy Holly’s guitarist, dead at 85

January 13, 2017 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Man Who Lost Plane Trip Coin Toss To Ritchie Valens Dies At 85

There are SO many stories about THAT.  [Morbid as they ALL are]  Seems to me that Waylon Jennings was supposed to go on THAT flight but Ritchie was going to go and look after 'doing' everybody's laundry so HE got the seat instead.  Makes sense really.  They were all starting to smell.  I mean why not Dion?  Didn't he deserve a better passage?

Whatever.  We lost 2 key guys...and J.P. Richardson...who, while also not deserving to meet his 'so-called' "maker" also perished.  Radio people!!!    Doi oip dee doip!!!  Seemingly privileged  yet still undeserving of any real status in THAT specific and particular stratosphere .  Let the 'Big Bopper' serve as proof.  There's NO REASON that he deserved that specific seat.  Yet...THERE he sat...for a few minutes.   Oooh baby you [don't] know what I like!!!

THAT was the day the music died?  BULLSHIT!!

Last edited by Old Codger (January 13, 2017 4:56 pm)

January 13, 2017 5:01 pm  #3

As sorry as I am that those artists perished back then, I think they are WAY WAY overrated.  Like Big Bopper for example.  I don't think I ever hear anything other than Chantilly Lace.  And Buddy Holly?  There have been way better artists that followed him.  I'd rather hear 70s music than that stuff.

Hardly the day the music died.  I'd hazard a guess to say even last decade, if you were willing to look for it, there was some great music.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 13, 2017 5:15 pm  #4

It's always been known as The Day The Music Died, augmented by Don McLean's famous "American Pie," likely because it was one of the first big tragedies in the rock and roll era. I often wonder if Buddy Holly had lived, would he have survived the British Invasion career-wise, forever relegated to the oldies circuit. Of course, his death guaranteed his legend. 

But to me, the best part of the story is the simple hand of fate, and how an innocent coin toss became a matter of life and death. There are a number of them in showbiz lore. 

One of my favourites is a relatively recent one. It involves Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, running late and missing his flight from Boston's Logan Airport on Sept 11, 2001. The plane he would have been on would be one of the two that crashed into the World Trade Center.

Lucky there's a Family Guy, indeed. 

January 13, 2017 5:24 pm  #5

Old Codger wrote:

There are SO many stories about THAT.  [Morbid as they ALL are]  Seems to me that Waylon Jennings was supposed to go on THAT flight but Ritchie was going to go and look after 'doing' everybody's laundry so HE got the seat instead.  Makes sense really.  They were all starting to smell.  I mean why not Dion?  Didn't he deserve a better passage?

Whatever.  We lost 2 key guys...and J.P. Richardson...who, while also not deserving to meet his 'so-called' "maker" also perished.  Radio people!!!    Doi oip dee doip!!!  Seemingly privileged  yet still undeserving of any real status in THAT specific and particular stratosphere .  Let the 'Big Bopper' serve as proof.  There's NO REASON that he deserved that specific seat.  Yet...THERE he sat...for a few minutes.   Oooh baby you [don't] know what I like!!!

are you the expert who posted here that Beach Boys' Pet Sounds was the greatest LP of the rock 'n roll era?

January 13, 2017 5:41 pm  #6

Kilgore wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

are you the expert who posted here that Beach Boys' Pet Sounds was the greatest LP of the rock 'n roll era?

Jesus Christ you're dickish.  No I don't think so...but every meaningful publication lists it in the top 3.  You?  Less than the top 300?  And therein lies YOUR credibility.  Don't fuck with me you 1/2 miler.

January 13, 2017 5:56 pm  #7

Regarding Pet Sounds OC is right  Rolling Stone, Mojo,  you name it, rated it in the Top 3. The Mojo readers poll in the 90's had it at number 1 or 2. The album is perhaps an acquired taste but no less than Sir Paul said that the album influenced the Beatles to create Sgt Pepper. I personally prefer Sunflower and Surf's Up by them.

as far as Buddy Holly. Steve Winwood once said that he played three cords as good as anybody and that Eric Clapton concurred. The group that both were in, Blind Faith, did a version of Holly's Well Alright.  You can hear Steve's proclamation here. There's so many Holly covers that he continued to be a force in music through them and plenty were recorded during the 1970's and oh yes The Hollies got their name from the man.

Last edited by Fitz (January 13, 2017 11:48 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 13, 2017 6:16 pm  #8

Pet Sounds was and is Top 2 or 3 Kilgore.  Sorry for the rudeness...at least a little bit sorry.  PM to you from me.
-----------------
Jody...I don't think that Buddy or Ritchie, for that matter, were overrated.  JP was...So too was Elvis.  Buddy Holly was responsible for a bunch of firsts...and then there were the Crickets/Beatles.  Ritchie was an icon.  Still is I believe.  JP?  Not so much...not that he deserved to crash and burn mind you..

Last edited by Old Codger (January 13, 2017 6:59 pm)

January 14, 2017 10:02 am  #9

In an eerily-relevant piece on E6 of this morning's TorStar, Joel Rubinoff states "it depends how old you are"

K.

January 14, 2017 12:09 pm  #10

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/031409/fea_409573233.shtml#.WHpNvrHMzUY

Regarding Buddy Holly.  Both Keith Richards and Roger McGuinn credit the guitar playing of Holly; as being a big influence on both of them.  Holly only strummed downward; never upward.  This apparently influenced the two very much.  Lennon & McCarney also highly influenced by Holly.

As to the importance of artists and songs historically.  I remember; when I was at CJCL; in the early 80's and they changed format to "Music of Your Life."  It wasn't for me and I made my way out of there fairly quickly.  However there was a meeting of the staff one day; with a senior member of the creators of that format and he said something that stuck with me.  He said that their research had shown that music we all listen to; between the ages of 13-19 would stick with us as our favourite music for the rest of our life.  One of the younger staff asked if that meant that Jimi Hendrix (in his life) would still be one of his favourite artists; when he was in his 70's.  The fellow said yes.  I am not in total agreement with the statement; but I do know that much of the music and the artists I listened to; in that period of my life always brings a smile to my face; if I hear them on an Oldies or Classic Rock format.

Last edited by John D (January 14, 2017 12:13 pm)

January 15, 2017 5:45 am  #11

John D wrote:

there was a meeting of the staff one day; with a senior member of the creators of that format and he said something that stuck with me.  He said that their research had shown that music we all listen to between the ages of 13-19 would stick with us as our favourite music for the rest of our life 

When Elvis & Buddy Holly tribute artists perform up here at Waterside nursing home, female residents go nuts