sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2024 10:10 am  #1

Law & Order Toronto's New Episode Centres On Radio Announcer

It's all fiction, of course, and it will likely veer way off from radio, but Thursday night's "Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent" reportedly will at least partially centre on an on-air personality charged with sexual assault. The stories often used real events as a springboard for a completely fictional plotline, and this one may be no different.

(Can't wait to see which fake radio station they decide to use, if in fact, they refer to the call letters at all.)

Do you suppose a certain former CBC announcer with some moxy may have at least partly inspired this script? It airs on City TV at 8 PM.

April 18, 2024 10:43 am  #2

Re: Law & Order Toronto's New Episode Centres On Radio Announcer

You really also have to keep your eyes open for the hidden humour in the show.
One of the previous Toronto L&O episodes had some dude calling from a payphone.
It couldn't just read "telephone" 
Oh no...not with this show. Instead it read "Skip Mobile"  
Yeah, he skipped Mobile...skipped it real good and used that payphone!   
Too funny!  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 18, 2024 10:55 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

You really also have to keep your eyes open for the hidden humour in the show.
One of the previous Toronto L&O episodes had some dude calling from a payphone.
It couldn't just read "telephone" 
Oh no...not with this show. Instead it read "Skip Mobile"  
Yeah, he skipped Mobile...skipped it real good and used that payphone!   
Too funny!  

The pay phone itself was ancient as well.   I am also very impressed on how they mixed the infamous bread price fixing scandal with a tricky murder plot.    I swear I never would have seen that coming in a million years.   I got a $25 No Frills gift card out of that!

April 18, 2024 11:24 am  #4

It might also be based on a certain former TV talk show host who had his fair share of run-ins with the law regarding his treatment of an ex. Just sayin....

April 18, 2024 1:08 pm  #5

L and O Toronto has been pretty bad in its first four episodes IMHO.
But the last two have been quite good.
The one about the luxury car jacking ring was well researched.
The bread scandal episode was also well written.
Yes I noticed the "Skip Mobile" pay phone sequence, mainly because I know of no Toronto pay phone that is not labelled as Bell.
Also have you noticed that the Toronto police arm patches and cop car logos are not authentic.
I wonder if there is some legal reason for that.

April 18, 2024 3:37 pm  #6

I agree newsguy, I think the show lacks a bit and then there were no new shows for a few weeks, consistency is king in my books.

One thing was cool though, episode 4 about the Mayor race was filmed in part at my sisters house. I know they filmed last summer, but I didn't know it was this episode. As I watched, I said to myself, "Self, that's your sisters house"! 

That was kind of cool.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 18, 2024 3:50 pm  #7

newsguy1 wrote:

Yes I noticed the "Skip Mobile" pay phone sequence, mainly because I know of no Toronto pay phone that is not labelled as Bell.

There are tons of payphones in the City of Toronto that DO NOT say "Bell" on them. 
However, many of them seem to be abandoned and not in service. 
It could very well be that for purpose of the show they borrowed an abandoned (not Bell) payphone and fixed it up for the show.
Here is one
Payphone (near Lansdowne Subway station) that is not Bell, but still in working condition:

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 18, 2024 3:56 pm)

April 18, 2024 4:09 pm  #8

The first episode insulted Filmores by suggesting that it's a dumping ground for bums.
That can't be further from the truth. They are usually very good at keeping the bums away...far far away.

April 18, 2024 4:31 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

The first episode insulted Filmores by suggesting that it's a dumping ground for bums.
That can't be further from the truth. They are usually very good at keeping the bums away...far far away.

Disagree - there are plenty of bums to be seen inside.

April 18, 2024 4:35 pm  #10

Binson Echorec wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Disagree - there are plenty of bums to be seen inside.

But never outside. I have no plans to go see for myself. I'll take your word for it...passing by though, never see any bums outside.

April 18, 2024 4:38 pm  #11

I've never been inside the place either, but bums can't be "away...far far away" inside a strip joint.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (April 18, 2024 4:39 pm)

April 18, 2024 4:48 pm  #12

I wouldn't watch 'Law & Order Toronto' if you paid me.  Well, unless it was $400 cash.  I would watch it for $400 cash, if you also covered my monthly streaming fee, and supplied snacks and beverages.  Per episode.

April 18, 2024 7:17 pm  #13

April 18, 2024 7:24 pm  #14

newsguy1 wrote:

L and O Toronto has been pretty bad in its first four episodes IMHO.
But the last two have been quite good.
The one about the luxury car jacking ring was well researched.
The bread scandal episode was also well written.
Also have you noticed that the Toronto police arm patches and cop car logos are not authentic.
I wonder if there is some legal reason for that.

I believe all police forces won't allow their exact logos to be used.  I also remember the Mounties weren't amused by a WWF character dressed in a red Serge coat. H

April 18, 2024 9:15 pm  #15

Just watched tonight's episode, it had a little Ghomeshi and Derringer innuendo in it. Was it just me who thought that?

|It is a good show, but I find it a bit flat. not a lot of action, I wonder if ratings will drop in the Toronto market in time?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 18, 2024 10:08 pm  #16

So, the radio station was CJYT, located on Queen's Quay E. and at the convenient spot of 87.7 on your FM dial. And "Sierra" was obviously supposed to be Sirius.

I thought the episode was OK, but that was definitely the quietest, most lifeless radio station I've ever seen. There were no speakers anywhere blaring the on-air programming, which is unlike most stations I've been in. Seemed pretty dull for such a place with a supposedly big radio star. 

April 18, 2024 10:29 pm  #17

Movies and TV shows pretty well never get actual radio right... or TV for that matter.
Even the legendary WKRP did not portray radio accurately.
Think of the scenes where a DJ like Johnny Fever would intro a song and then turn the pot down and have a ten-minute conversation with one of the other characters.

April 18, 2024 11:16 pm  #18

I always thought the most unrealistic thing about WKRP was the program director that actually showed respect for his on-air talent.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!