sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2024 3:46 pm  #1

This Board Is Ridiculous

Our moderator brings up politics more than everyone else combined on this board. I ask if radio hosts have an obligation to neutrality when interviewing politicians, and cite an example from one of the largest broadcasting companies in the country and the topic is closed?

I look forward to our moderator posting the next anti-CBC National Post editorial any day now. But he hates to get political.

April 15, 2024 3:55 pm  #2

Re: This Board Is Ridiculous

I have never responded to this user because he's essentially been bitching about me ever since he joined the board and I generally make it a rule not to respond to trolls, since it only encourages them. But I will make an exception in this one case.

I have the solution for him - don't post here. Don't read the messages. Don't bring your extreme politics here. In fact, I will help you do it. Thanks for your input. It is also your output. I've had enough being attacked unfairly and for no reason for months and months on end. This is supposed to be a fun little board about radio, not an insult pen and I often put in as much as 8 hours a day doing this. (In fact, I pay to keep the board ad free, so it actually costs me money - more than $300 U.S. annually.)

Have a nice life. Hopefully, somewhere else. 

To everyone else: please forgive this rant. This is only the third person I've ever banned from here in almost a decade. Trust me, it is a last resort and I rarely if ever use this tool. But enough is enough, already. 

April 15, 2024 6:19 pm  #3

It's Monday and time to put the garbage out. It was for the best .

April 15, 2024 7:12 pm  #4

Or, in the words of former moderator Iain Grant, "​If I don't like you, If I don't like your posts, either, or both will be deleted on a whim." 

Guess it was time to finally exercise that option.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

April 15, 2024 7:21 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good night!

April 15, 2024 9:51 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I have never responded to this user because he's essentially been bitching about me ever since he joined the board and I generally make it a rule not to respond to trolls, since it only encourages them. But I will make an exception in this one case.

I have the solution for him - don't post here. Don't read the messages. Don't bring your extreme politics here. In fact, I will help you do it. Thanks for your input. It is also your output. I've had enough being attacked unfairly and for no reason for months and months on end. This is supposed to be a fun little board about radio, not an insult pen and I often put in as much as 8 hours a day doing this. (In fact, I pay to keep the board ad free, so it actually costs me money - more than $300 U.S. annually.)

To everyone else: please forgive this rant. This is only the third person I've ever banned from here in almost a decade. Trust me, it is a last resort and I rarely if ever use this tool. But enough is enough, already. 

RA to me this doesn't come across as a rant, rather a reminder of the reason for the common sense guidelines everyone generally plays by when we post on here as well as the consequences for disregarding basic big yellow board good manners, flexible tho they may be.

April 15, 2024 10:04 pm  #7

Thanks for all your support. I have to say in all honesty banning someone is something I dread doing and it actually keeps me up at night, because I'm generally a stickler for free speech. But my Golden Rule is:

It's OK to disagree. It's not OK to be disagreeable.

It's a small thing to ask. And I'm grateful most here adhere to it and make this the great place it generally is.

April 15, 2024 10:49 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for all your support. I have to say in all honesty banning someone is something I dread doing and it actually keeps me up at night, because I'm generally a stickler for free speech. But my Golden Rule is:

It's OK to disagree. It's not OK to be disagreeable.

It's a small thing to ask. And I'm grateful most here adhere to it and make this the great place it generally is.

As I've mentioned before, my approach on The Oldies Music Board has been to delete anything political unless it has direct relevance to what a musician is doing. I also prefer not to ban users, but one user deleted himself after he posted something political that I removed ... part of it was actually ok, but the other part completely crossed the line and so I deleted his post as soon as I saw it. I found it unfortunate that he left over the situation, but I also have absolutely no regrets about what I did. Your comment about how this place should be a fun little board is a good description of what I want the oldies board to be as well.

April 15, 2024 10:51 pm  #9

I visit the Oldies Board all the time and I can assure you it's always an enjoyable experience.

April 15, 2024 11:53 pm  #10

My fear is too many are already too polarized to make your suggestion happen and whenever this stuff comes up, the vitriol howitzer is fired on both sides. It just seems those who are really into this stuff cannot - or will not - discuss things rationally, without the name calling and the anger that all too often accompanies these discussions. It's almost the nature of social media and anger is an addictive emotion. 

I have no objection to political talk and when there's a new law that concerns radio or TV, yes, it's certainly belongs here. But in the battle between the three major parties, I honestly don't believe this is the place to do it. As noted, there are tons of sites that welcome that kind of often bitter debate. There aren't that many like this one for local radio. I think that's worth protecting.

So while talking about the new slogan for radio station A isn't as exciting as noting the latest gaffe from Politician B, I'd prefer to stick to the basics and as much as possible keep politics out of it. 

I kind of look at it like the conclusion of the computer in the movie War Games. "The only way to win is not to play."

April 15, 2024 11:57 pm  #11

I think there is a place for politics on this board. But it's very specific. Tomas' original question could have led to an intelligent discussion where we could have talked about how politics is conveyed over talk radio, and about when stations or networks might inappropriately be crossing into partisan territory. We could have talked about concepts like the US Fairness Doctrine, which was abolished in the 1970s and helped give rise to talk radio as it is today in the US. A thread about politics and radio would seem highly worthwhile, especially in these seemingly divided, volatile times, and given that talk about politics is so prevalent on radio (and TV).

But this kind of discussion has to be constructive. And, for whatever reason(s), quite a few people here don't seem capable of that. This absolutely isn't the place to complain about Trudeau, Poilievre or Singh. Or to utter utter nonsense about communists or fascists. Or to make ethnic wisecracks about politicians. I get that many of us are media people, and we're use to turning a cute phrase; we're all natural headline writers. But I think, politically, we're all on edge right now. No matter where you are on the political spectrum. And because there's considerable political diversity on this board, and because many people here simply want the board to remain focused and unbiased, any venture into politics has to be done intelligently and with a certain degree of social skill. And it has to be clearly relevant to whatever defines SOWNY.

I'm not sure what Tomas meant to achieve with his original question on that now-closed thread. There's an aspect of it, at least, that I liked. It had potential legs. But his last comment at the very top of this thread just about kills any sympathy I might have had, and makes me question the intent of his question. So, I guess my question is, are we capable of intelligent discussion?

Last edited by Saul (April 16, 2024 12:01 am)

April 16, 2024 6:34 am  #12

I'd love to believe what you say is true. But every time politics about either PP or JT (who generally have nothing to do with broadcasting) raises its head here, the claws come out by those who support one or the other, eventually leading those behind the keyboard to start insulting each other. So to answer your question, can an intelligent discussion be had about this? The answer should be yes, but in my experience, it always seems to deteriorate to no. 

I wish it were otherwise, but as someone who reads every single post here, it's never really happened. Which is why I prefer not to bring them up at all. But you're right - if people can discuss this stuff rationally without name calling if not outright hatred to those with disagree with them, it could be interesting. But in a polarized world, it just doesn't ever seem to be the case.

April 16, 2024 7:14 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

I'd love to believe what you say is true. But every time politics about either PP or JT (who generally have nothing to do with broadcasting) raises its head here, the claws come out by those who support one or the other, eventually leading those behind the keyboard to start insulting each other. So to answer your question, can an intelligent discussion be had about this? The answer should be yes, but in my experience, it always seems to deteriorate to no. 

I wish it were otherwise, but as someone who reads every single post here, it's never really happened. Which is why I prefer not to bring them up at all. But you're right - if people can discuss this stuff rationally without name calling if not outright hatred to those with disagree with them, it could be interesting. But in a polarized world, it just doesn't ever seem to be the case.

I agree, RA. On the former Oldies Music Bulletin Board, people would occasionally express their own political views regarding those of the musicians we discussed, and the admin would usually leave them up. But sometimes that led to responses from people who felt differently, and things could get very negative very quickly when this happened. So that's why I've wanted to just avoid anything like that on the current board.

April 16, 2024 7:23 am  #14

That, unfortunately, has been my experience, too. It starts off with a perfectly fine discussion but inevitably deteriorates to name calling, bad feelings and valued members threatening to leave. It's already happened here a number of times and some whose opinions I thought were valuable have gone and never returned.

As the de facto sheriff here, because somebody needs to be, I'm just trying to keep the peace! 

April 16, 2024 10:37 am  #15

To the Sheriff Here: I hope it is a very long time before you get tired of "Keeping The Peace" on this site.

April 16, 2024 10:54 am  #16

Thanks Mace. Please let me know when you get your next ticket so I can fix it for you!

April 16, 2024 11:30 am  #17

Well RA and I have certainly let fly quite a few times over the years.  And occasionally with Aaron.  I know I have come close to going over the line and regretted when I have.  But as long as it doesn't get personal and you keep some humour in the discussion and understand that it is just a debate, only broadcasting, and not life, then things don't get out of control. 

So thanks RA, and Aaron for all of the...let's call them, "frank exchanges" over the years.  It's been fun and I have always learned something whenever we chat.  Here's to a few more in the days ahead!  Hopefully  most of the members on SOWNY won't be thinking ...."not this again!"   

April 16, 2024 11:44 am  #18

I was actually thinking of Paterson1 when I wrote my rant. He's a perfect example of how to disagree without being overtly disagreeable. He makes his point, he stands his ground and he defends his thoughts, but never resorting to name calling or disparaging remarks about someone's intelligence or how idiotic they are. (And God knows, sometimes I can be!)

While we all cross the line sometimes when our assumptions are challenged, this is the way to do it. Some bravo to p1. We may never agree on everything (anything?) but at least you're willing to hear both sides. And I will always welcome that.

Now about those CanCon rules...oh, never mind. Maybe next time!

April 16, 2024 12:51 pm  #19

Thanks for keeping this place politics free 

April 16, 2024 12:53 pm  #20

This situation got me thinking about a regular on the former oldies board named Flo Murdock. She was a music industry veteran with strong opinions regarding music and musicians that she liked and didn't like, and she got into disagreements with a number of people including me. In my case, it reached a point that for quite some time, I figured that she didn't like me. But when Ron Smith, the admin of the previous board, announced that he was shutting it (along with the site that hosted it) down, and some of the regulars said that they were going to miss it, Flo said something to the effect of "Wouldn't it be great if Lorne could set up a new board for us!" I was really surprised to see her suggest me as a potential new admin, but that showed that our disagreements hadn't been personal (and also that she had a higher opinion of my admin abilities than I did!). But I'm sure that it helped that our disagreements had never been political either ... I'm very interested in politics and therefore also take an interest in the political viewpoints of musicians, but when I saw how problematic politics could be on the other board I decided that I'd avoid saying anything about my own beliefs.

April 16, 2024 1:17 pm  #21

Just one more political comment, then you can ban me if you like.

After spending the last 3 1/2 months at our place in Florida, we're heading home this weekend. And we may not be coming back here. We.ve already decided that if these people elect Donald Trump again, we're outa here.

Anybody in the market for a nice double wide in Florida?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 16, 2024 3:34 pm  #22

I've never been much attracted to Florida.
As for the U.S. election... I'm just Biden my time.

April 16, 2024 3:34 pm  #23

turkeytop wrote:

Honestly, I never understood all those Starbucks coffee order configurations!

April 16, 2024 4:02 pm  #24

This whole issue seems like just politics to me. 

April 16, 2024 4:24 pm  #25

AspectRatio wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Honestly, I never understood all those Starbucks coffee order configurations!

I can trade you a double double from up here...

April 18, 2024 12:18 pm  #26

RadioActive wrote:

You put up with his nonsense a lot longer than I would have. Kudos to you RA, and keep doing what you're doing.

April 18, 2024 9:28 pm  #27

Saul wrote:

I think there is a place for politics on this board. But it's very specific. Tomas' original question could have led to an intelligent discussion where we could have talked about how politics is conveyed over talk radio, and about when stations or networks might inappropriately be crossing into partisan territory. But this kind of discussion has to be constructive. And, for whatever reason(s), quite a few people here don't seem capable of that. 

I'm not sure what Tomas meant to achieve with his original question on that now-closed thread. There's an aspect of it, at least, that I liked. It had potential legs. But his last comment at the very top of this thread just about kills any sympathy I might have had, and makes me question the intent of his question.

It's unfortunate, because I do believe Mr. Barlow made some valid points from time to time on this board (unlike some previous "trolls" like Ziggy and cGrant, who were clearly posting just to be shit disturbers). But whatever points he was trying to make were often quickly undermined by his lack of social graces, which often resulted in passive-aggressive name-calling and constantly being in attack mode.

He seemed like he was softening his approach somewhat when I posted back around Christmas time about the importance of not being an "antagonistic ass", but then it seemed like that aspect of his personality was slowly creeping back, and many posters here seemed like they were avoiding him or tip-toeing around him, trying to make as little conversation as possible. After all, once you poop in the sandbox, it should come as no surprise when no one wants to play with you anymore.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!