sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2024 3:02 pm  #1

SWAT Fans! Your Show Is Coming Back For Season 8

SWAT is a show that keeps getting cancelled by CBS, and then uncancelled.  It has happened again for the second time.
More from TV Ratings Guide...http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2024/04/swat-un-canceled-renewed-for-season-8.html

April 13, 2024 3:04 pm  #2

Re: SWAT Fans! Your Show Is Coming Back For Season 8

There are such things as 'SWAT Fans'?  Who knew?

April 13, 2024 3:59 pm  #3

Walter wrote:

There are such things as 'SWAT Fans'?  Who knew?

Hahaha, I don't watch it, in fact I have never looked at even one episode.  But, SWAT must have some sort of following. To be cancelled twice by CBS, only to be renewed on the same network a few months later is rare.  Global has run 7 seasons of the program, so odds are they will pick up the 8th. 

April 13, 2024 7:22 pm  #4

I think SWAT has been so popular because it stars Shemar Moore, who was a very popular character on Criminal Minds. He really carries the show on SWAT. 
Also the theme from SWAT was a big radio hit back in the day of the original series.
It's a nostalgia thing.
I.ve seen a few episodes and it's a pretty good cop action drama show, so there you go.

April 14, 2024 8:34 pm  #5

TV Ratings Guide is saying that CBS has ordered 22 episodes of SWAT for season 8 and the network as yet hasn't referred to this as the final season.  Last year season 7 was billed as the final year with CBS ordering 13 episodes, and this was prior to the strikes. 

April 15, 2024 6:04 am  #6

I wonder if by cancelling the show and bringing it back twice the network was trying to get the best deal possible at the time. The words "negotiating with Sony" in the TV Ratings Guide article could be a clue, so perhaps it's really just creative accounting by CBS. Cancel the show, cancel the current contracts. Resurrect the show. Write new contracts.

Last edited by betaylored (April 15, 2024 6:12 am)

April 15, 2024 11:27 am  #7

Apparently, last year Sony TV was not willing to take another S.W.A.T. renewal at a flat licence fee. CBS agreed to an increased licence fee but cut the episode order from 22 to 13. Sony passed and CBS cancelled the series. However, the two sides eventually hammered out a deal as the series ratings are up 11% from last season. In addition, S.W.A.T. is a strong International seller.