sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2024 7:19 am  #1

Gallery Of Pics Shows An Old Abandoned Radio Tower Farm In Michigan

This isn't for everyone, but I know some here are fascinated by the outside mechanisms that brings radio to listeners. The authors won't say exactly where it is other than pinpointing "Clinton, Michigan," but it's filled with photos from what looked like a once very active tower and shack from a long time ago. 

The photos go on for pages and pages, and also shows another abandoned place nearby. What I want to know is what's with all the painted Looney Tunes characters that have survived in the ruins of that second abandoned building all these years later?

I love the warning at the top of the article about "do not go in here" only to have whoever took the pics do exactly that. 

If you're into this stuff, it's certainly an interesting look at what happens when a site is abandoned but apparently not forgotten. 

Abandoned Transmitter Site Shows What's Left Of A Once Valuable Broadcast Site

April 12, 2024 7:41 am  #2

Re: Gallery Of Pics Shows An Old Abandoned Radio Tower Farm In Michigan

Its actually an abandoned microwave tower from the AT&T "Long Lines" system.  The tower has been stripped of the actual "Horn" antennas.

American Tower purchased the majority of the AT&T sites that were put up for sale. Apparently they didn't want this one.....

April 12, 2024 8:25 am  #3

Re: Gallery Of Pics Shows An Old Abandoned Radio Tower Farm In Michigan

Thanks for the clarification. The article indicates it was a broadcasting tower. That does not appear to be the case. Still interesting to see it from all angles.