sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2024 3:57 pm  #1

100 Years Of WLS — The ‘World’s Largest Store’ — Radio

A great recap of a century of one of the best radio stations on the AM dial - 890 WLS. It was April 12th, 1924 when the behemoth officially signed on and a terrific article in the Chicago Tribune, accompanied by some long unseen photos, traces the history of the place. 

There's a lot there I had no idea about. For example, its call letters for a short time were WES, for "World's Economy Store," but changed to WLS for "World's Largest Store," because it was owned by Sears. Who knew?

It's also arguably the place where country radio was born, despite WSM Nashville's claim to that crown. 

And then there's this stunning story about the now infamous coverage of the crash of the Hindenburg, so memorably satirized in an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati. The recording equipment was pretty new then and there are hints that the preserved recording of announcer Herbert Morrison crying "Oh the humanity!" might have been sped up a little.  

But according to the article, history is lucky to have that coverage at all.

"The Tribune reported later that German employees at the terminal, worried that the disaster would harm the image of Nazi Germany, tried to impound the recording equipment. “I managed to distract them while Charles (Nehlsen, WLS engineer) gathered up the equipment and ran out of the building with it,” Morrison said. “We literally had to hide out until American Airlines could provide us with a plane later that night. We took off for Chicago from a remote corner of the airport.”

It also deals with the station's rock years, including a vicious feud between jocks Steve Dahl and Larry Lujack, which led to one being thrown out of the studio and the other being forced to finish his rival's show. 

It's a great recap with lots of links, and if you're into radio history or listened to the Big 89 at any point, it's well worth a read. 

100 Years Of WLS — The ‘World’s Largest Store’ — Radio

April 11, 2024 4:50 pm  #2

Re: 100 Years Of WLS — The ‘World’s Largest Store’ — Radio

Great article except for the fact that the writer totally ignored the 1940s and early 1950s , the golden age of radio.
Those were the years when radio served as the home's primary source of information and entertainment.  WLS was the Chicago affiliate of the NBC Blue network which became the American Broadcasting Company in the mid forties.
During WWII people were glued to radio for war news.  ABC radio was the home of such news commentators as
Paul Harvey, Edward P Morgan and Quincy Howe.  Howard Cosell got his start on ABC radio before starring on TV.
The Lone Ranger, Ozzie & Harriet, Corliss Archer, This Is Your FBI, Bing Crosby, Abbott & Costello and Space Patrol appeared on WLS and ABC radio before switching to TV.  In the early 50s WLS and ABC radio aired entertainment
ranging from the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts on Saturdays to boxing broadcasts on the Blue Ribbon Bouts on Wednesday nights to Friday Night Fights before the Friday bouts went to NBC. During all these years, American radio
(and of course Canadian radio) played a very important role in our culture and should not be forgotten.

April 12, 2024 6:54 pm  #3

According to Radio Online:

"WLS-AM 890 will air a two-part 100 anniversary special on Saturday, April 13 and on Sunday, April 14, from 4-8pm each day hosted by Jeff Davis."

WLS also has a special page up on its site, with audio interviews from those who were there (like John Landecker and Fred Winston) and a ton of vintage photos. 

April 12, 2024 7:39 pm  #4

Listened to WLS every night, back in the 60s, when it was a Top 40 station.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 13, 2024 10:25 pm  #5

'Ditto". As a young teen in Montreal, WLS was one of many US based stations that played rock n roll when the local airwaves turned to Joe Pyne. Thought I'd lost Dick Biondi when he departed WKBW.. Pleasantly surprised when he showed up on WLS in 1960.

April 13, 2024 10:47 pm  #6

Damian wrote:

'Ditto". As a young teen in Montreal, WLS was one of many US based stations that played rock n roll when the local airwaves turned to Joe Pyne. Thought I'd lost Dick Biondi when he departed WKBW.. Pleasantly surprised when he showed up on WLS in 1960.

Yes I rember Dick Biondi when he was on WKBW. I was pretty young then and I misheard his name. I always thought he was saying Dixie Ozzy.

Last edited by turkeytop (April 13, 2024 10:48 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.