sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2024 10:46 am  #1

OJ Simpson Has Died

He achieved glory on the football field, stardom in movies like "Naked Gun" and infamy in a courtroom, accused of killing his ex-wife. OJ Simpson, who in many ways lived three different lives, has died after a battle with prostate cancer. His "Trial of the Century" was watched by millions around the world. 

He was 76. 

OJ Simpson, fallen football hero acquitted of murder in ‘trial of the century,’ dies at 76

April 11, 2024 10:54 am  #2

Re: OJ Simpson Has Died

R.I.P.

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]

April 11, 2024 11:10 am  #3

He was accused of killing his ex wife, Nicole and... don't forget -- her friend Ron Goldman.
Acquitted in criminal court -- then found liable for the deaths in civil court.
For a very interesting take on the story, read Dominic Dunne's "Another City Not My Own."

April 11, 2024 11:18 am  #4

Wow, the memories that name brings back. And most have nothing to do with football.

-The murder of Nicole Brown Simpson and what was always described as her "friend" Ron Goldman.

-The slow speed white Bronco chase that was so big, one network (I think it was NBC) shrunk an NBA playoff game into a box on the bottom of the screen in order to cover it. 

-Defence attorney Johnnie Cochrane, later to be satirized on "Seinfeld" as "Jackie Chiles."

-The first time most of us had heard the name "Kardashian," when the father Robert was one of OJ's defence attorneys. 

-Mark Fuhrman, accused of being a racist cop.

-Judge Lance Ito and the "Dancing Itos" on Jay Leno's "Tonight Show."

-The infamous "If it doesn't fit, you must acquit," over the glove evidence.

-Kato Kaelin, the world's best known house guest.

-CNN's Nancy Grace convicting him every night on her show. 

-His ridiculous book "If I Did It," released after the trial.

-Every TV network interrupting programming the day of the stunning verdict and the reaction along racial lines.

-His later arrest while trying to get his "memorabilia" back in Las Vegas.

And on and on and on it goes.

It was a true cultural touchstone that drew the world together, something that's likely never to happen again. 

April 11, 2024 11:31 am  #5

I turned on WGR and was stunned that they weren't talking about this. Instead, they were going on about some injury to a player. You'd think this was a no-brainer for a topic. 

WBEN-AM was going with it non-stop, which makes sense, taking calls from listeners and reliving his legendary football career - and what came after.

But for the local all sports station in Buffalo to be absent on this story seems incredible to me. Then again, it wasn't on the Fan 590, either, which is also surprising. They were talking about the Raptors instead. All this while the two main talk stations - CFRB and AM640 were going wall-to-wall with Simpson's death and his history.

So the talk stations were on it and the sports stations weren't. I find that odd. 

April 11, 2024 11:50 am  #6

Long before being in trouble with the law,
OJ as an actor:

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 11, 2024 12:06 pm  #7

He never should have had the opportunity to kill Ron and Nicole. He should have been in jail for being a wife beater shithead.

The only suitable tribute is this Norm MacDonald montage. Enjoy.

April 11, 2024 1:19 pm  #8

Wolf Blitzer broke the news on CNN, and not surprisingly as a Buffalonian, he talked a lot about OJ’s Bills career.

One of my memories of the OJ trial in the summer of 1995 is that it overlapped with another infamous trial here in Canada - that of Paul Bernardo, who was found guilty of his crimes a month before the OJ verdict. As a child I remember that summer learning a lot about the court systems in both the US and Canada and the differences between them, including why we could watch OJ’s trial live on TV but not Bernardo’s, and how we had “the Crown” and they had “the People”.

I also remember the day of the verdict, some of my classmates were asking if we could turn on the radio to listen to the verdict. My teacher said no, and being the pre-smartphone era it was, none of us knew the verdict until class was dismissed and we went home. How times have changed.

April 11, 2024 1:20 pm  #9

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47585335

It's not just the tragedy of the lives taken, and the lifelong pain of the families who lost loved ones in such a violent way. The OJ murder trial has been cited as the reason most of the daily television network soap operas, beloved by housewives, college students and those taking a sick day off work, were shelved and eventually died off.

I only hope we don't end up with an "edgy" biographical movie on his life.

Heaven has not gained another angel.

April 11, 2024 2:06 pm  #10

The best movie about this is The People vs OJ Simpson, An American Crime Story.
But ironically the worst part of the film is the casting of OJ -- Cuba Gooding Jr.  He is really miscast both in looks and his ability to act as OJ.
However other casting is brilliant, including an unlikely great performance by David Schwimmer as the sycophantic Robert Kardashian.
When the Kardashian family became famous and even loved years later I could not believe that they could make a fun reality TV show about the daughters of a man who was alleged to have helped OJ Simpson hide his bloody clothing and murder weapon.

April 11, 2024 5:52 pm  #11

The Simpson trial was a clear demonstration of the unreliability of DNA evidence. DNA said he was guilty. Turns out he was innocent.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 11, 2024 6:59 pm  #12

turkeytop wrote:

The Simpson trial was a clear demonstration of the unreliability of DNA evidence. DNA said he was guilty. Turns out he was innocent.

You win the internet with that one.

April 11, 2024 7:44 pm  #13

The Simpson trial wasn't good for law, journalism, or humanity in general. It was good for commercial media execs though, and greatly assisted them in paying off their yachts and gaudy McMansions.

April 11, 2024 7:47 pm  #14

Yes, very funny, but if you remember the DNA evidence was thrown into question by the so-called expert evidence of a guy called Barry Sheck.
He tore the coroner and two LA police detectives to shreds.
And people believed Sheck over the obvious DNA evidence.
The examiner's name was Fung, leading OJ lawyer Johnny Cochrane to crow, "we're having Fung!".
The defence discovered that when the blood samples were taken from the crime scene the detective put them in an envelope, then put them in the truck of his car for hours.
Fung was terrible on the stand, and the whole DNA evidence was discredited.
Years later Barry Sheck would tell the media that he was ashamed of what he did, and he knew he was distorting the DNA evidence.
If the trial were held today Sheck would have been quickly discounted as a phony and non expert.

April 11, 2024 8:55 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I turned on WGR and was stunned that they weren't talking about this. Instead, they were going on about some injury to a player. You'd think this was a no-brainer for a topic. 

WBEN-AM was going with it non-stop, which makes sense, taking calls from listeners and reliving his legendary football career - and what came after.

But for the local all sports station in Buffalo to be absent on this story seems incredible to me. Then again, it wasn't on the Fan 590, either, which is also surprising. They were talking about the Raptors instead. All this while the two main talk stations - CFRB and AM640 were going wall-to-wall with Simpson's death and his history.

So the talk stations were on it and the sports stations weren't. I find that odd. 

He retired 45 years ago. To everyone in the demo of sports radio stations he isn’t remembered as a football player.

April 12, 2024 9:06 am  #16

The morning of his arrest, there was a huge tropo opening. I had crystal clear reception for several hours of WTAJ ch 10 in Johnstown, Pa.

April 12, 2024 9:23 am  #17

mace wrote:

The morning of his arrest, there was a huge tropo opening. I had crystal clear reception for several hours of WTAJ ch 10 in Johnstown, Pa.

Perhaps this is why the pursuit was so slow. Both OJ and the officers were fidgeting with their radios trying for distant signals.

April 12, 2024 9:29 am  #18

April 12, 2024 9:54 am  #19

Saul wrote:

mace wrote:

Perhaps this is why the pursuit was so slow. Both OJ and the officers were fidgeting with their radios trying for distant signals.

LOL BIG TIME!

April 12, 2024 10:14 am  #20

mace wrote:

Saul wrote:

mace wrote:

LOL BIG TIME!

When you're DXing on your car radio, you either pull over or you get nailed for distracted driving. Fortunately for OJ, when he was confirming an ID on 103.3 KKCW way up in Beaverton OR, the police were waiting through national ads on 101.1 just before Portland's Morning News on KXL. Had the police not been DXing, they might very well have nailed him with a charge even the late great Johnnie Cochran could not have disputed.

April 12, 2024 11:37 am  #21

Saul wrote:

mace wrote:

Saul wrote:

LOL BIG TIME!

When you're DXing on your car radio, you either pull over or you get nailed for distracted driving. Fortunately for OJ, when he was confirming an ID on 103.3 KKCW way up in Beaverton OR, the police were waiting through national ads on 101.1 just before Portland's Morning News on KXL. Had the police not been DXing, they might very well have nailed him with a charge even the late great Johnnie Cochran could not have disputed.

Actually it is quite easy to DX on the 401 in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic. I can keep my eyes on the road while I change stations manually on my steering wheel.

April 12, 2024 11:48 am  #22

Saul wrote:

mace wrote:

Saul wrote:

LOL BIG TIME!

Perhaps if that had been the case, Cochrane might have said, "If it doesn't come in, there was no sin."

April 12, 2024 12:03 pm  #23

Actually in Toronto you could listen to wall-to-wall OJ coverage on the defunct all news station CKO.
I was an OJ junkie -- could not get enough of it... and I listened constantly in my car to CKO trial live.
At work all TV's were tuned to CNN or some Canadian TV trial coverage.
And of course I watched at home on TV

April 12, 2024 12:13 pm  #24

mace wrote:

Saul wrote:

mace wrote:

LOL BIG TIME!

Actually it is quite easy to DX on the 401 in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic. I can keep my eyes on the road while I change stations manually on my steering wheel.

In Toronto's traffic you could probably update your handwritten DX logbook.

April 12, 2024 12:38 pm  #25

As I recall, 680's daily programming at the time was little more than holding a microphone up to a TV tuned to CNN.