sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2024 10:12 pm  #1

Sportsnet Grapefruit League productions were great

Teams this year agreed to only staff their home games and take feeds of away games from other broadcasters for additional coverage.
Kudos to Sportnset for their outstanding work.  We are lucky to have Dan and Buck and the skilled production team covering the Jays. 
I tuned in today to watch the final spring-training game that was produced by SportsNet Pittsburgh.  Graphics were few and far between, at times the scorebug was wrong and the announcers had no idea who some of the Jays batters, pitchers and fielders were.
It reminded me of a community channel production in the late 1960s.

March 26, 2024 2:30 am  #2

Re: Sportsnet Grapefruit League productions were great

People like what they're used to.  I don't think Sportsnet is that great aside from Dan.  Buck can analyse a play as well as anyone, but he should also be able to give us inside info, but doesn't because in his mind he's still a player.  When was the last time you heard Jamie Campbell or Joe Siddall say anything that made you laugh, think or raise your eyebrows?  And the replays at the Rogers Centre are almost never slowed down enough to give us anything conclusive on a close play.  
"It was close," is often the best they can do.  
Watch a regular season regional US broadcast and you almost always know if the player is out on a close play at second because they slow it down to two or three frames a second and then pause it if they need to.
The Mets TV broadcasts, which Sportsnet sometimes shows, are the gold standard.  There's colourful opinion from Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez, great play by play and all of the bells and whistles to get you right in close.  The Jays games are just okay.

March 26, 2024 6:53 am  #3

It is hoped that Schulman will concentrate on the action on the field and reduce his non-play-by-play commentary.  Bad habit of filling dead air with unnecessary discussion.   Let the viewers take in the game.

March 26, 2024 7:07 am  #4

laffin wrote:

It is hoped that Schulman will concentrate on the action on the field and reduce his non1-play-by-play commentary.  Bad habit of filling dead air with unnecessary discussion.   Let the viewers take in the game.

Couldn't agree more. There's a lot of talk during the broadcasts and it's not necessary to fill every second of silence with words. 

Vin Scully was the master of this. When a hobbling Kirk Gibson hit a home run to win the 1988 World Series, not only did Scully have one of the greatest calls I've ever heard, he let the crowd cheering go on and on and on for over a minute without saying a single word.

And then he came up with this: "In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened!"

Perfect.

I couldn't care less about the Dodgers, but it still sends a chill down my spine. 

More of these guys could learn from the master. Sometimes, silence really is golden.

Vin Scully's Greatest Calls

March 26, 2024 8:11 am  #5

Ernie Harwell was another broadcaster who only spoke when something was actually happening on the field.

March 27, 2024 12:27 pm  #6

laffin wrote:

It is hoped that Schulman will concentrate on the action on the field and reduce his non-play-by-play commentary.  Bad habit of filling dead air with unnecessary discussion.   Let the viewers take in the game.

It must come from being on radio.
I have a friend who has done a lot of play by play for various networks on events including the Olympics and he said the best advice he got early on was from a producer at CBC Sports who was in his ear saying, “Wait.  Let it breathe. … …  Okay. Go.”