sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2024 7:21 pm  #1

Surprise! Despite CBS Hoops Overrun, 60 Mins. Starts On Time On Global

I was wondering what Global would do when the NCAA tourney game ran way long on CBS. As the clock ticked, ticked, ticked to 7 PM Sunday night, the start time for the long running news magazine "60 Minutes," I tuned into Global wondering what they would put on and how long they would have to vamp until the U.S network was ready.

Let the same news we just saw run longer? Run the 453rd repeat of "Border Security?"

Nope. To my astonishment, 60 Minutes started on time here, without the CBS simulcast. I can't remember the last time that happened. It's one of the reasons the show gets bounced around so much from season to season on Canadian channels, because it never seems to start on time and there is (or maybe now, used to be) a prohibition on starting it early in Canada. Which completely screws up the schedule of whoever has the rights to it here. 

It means Global loses out on simsub, but since it has a full slate of other U.S. network shows coming up on Sunday, I suppose they don't care if it only costs them one duplication time slot. I wonder if this could be the beginning of a new trend. If so, it's a welcome one.